• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope to buy for overall use? 100 yard/ 1000 yards - Hunt/competition/varmint.

nomuzzleflash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2020
I will first admit that I am a complete nube when it comes to scopes. I have shot primarily open sites my entire life but have decided to go all in and have purchased a Desert Tech SRS A2 and am looking to put a nice scope on it. Going with the "buy once, cry once" mentality (which is also true with the Desert Tech purchase) I am really looking to get a really nice scope that will allow me to use it at the 100 yard range yet be able to reach out at 1000 to 1500 if I want to shoot a little competition. I have seen many good reviews of the Leupold scopes but I'm not married to that brand.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice from some of you veteran scope gurus out there. If a budget wasn't an issue, what would be your choice for a great overall scope that would allow you to do it all?

Thanks in advance.

I really like my NF ATACR 4-16 F1, low magnification for hunting and for me x16 is enough for longer distances. It's relatively light weight and the retical is good for competition shooting. TO ME it is perfect for everything.

Reactions: plumcrzyhellcat
Mil or moa
Ffp or sfp
Budget
Primary shooting use
Primary distance

An all around is fine but you need to find out what primary application is.

You need to look through alot os optics to make good choices. Everyone gets a different feel from glass.
These are a couple of other questions I'm trying to decide on.

Some say mil is the way to go and other say MOA. I understand there is probably not a correct answer but what is the majority? Is there one easier?

I hear FFP is the way to go. That is probably the way I will go I'm guessing.

Budget?? Well.... I am dropping some $$$ on the SRS so I am thinking I might as well go all out on the scope as well. I have looked at the Leupold VX6-HD which is in the $2K+ but I'm not sure. If you are spending that kinda $$$ then I want it to do it all if possible.

I would like to get into shooting a little competition but others say to go with a custom gun if I am going to get serious. I want to be able to shoot with my competition buddies but have a gun light enough to hike through the back country elk hunting if I want.

I have 20 acres here where I live so this gun might take out a coyote in our front yard one day and blast some steel targets at 1200 yards the next. (at least that what I would like to do).

I hope this is a little more clear. I know there is probably not a "perfect scope" for what I am wanting to do but suggestions on overall best options would be a big help.

Reactions: supermo26
I really like my NF ATACR 4-16 F1, low magnification for hunting and for me x16 is enough for longer distances. It's relatively light weight and the retical is good for competition shooting. TO ME it is perfect for everything.
I will check them out. Sounds like it may be a good fit. Thanks!!!

Check out the Vortex AMG. Lighter weight for carrying hunting but all the features needed in a match scope too.

There is no one scope that will let you do it all no matter how much money you shell out.

Be realistic.
Thanks for the reply. Being not familiar with scopes in general, I wasn't sure if there was such an animal that would allow for everything. Hopefully I can find a middle of the road scope that will allow me to cover most of my needs.

Thanks for the reply. Being not familiar with scopes in general, I wasn't sure if there was such an animal that would allow for everything. Hopefully I can find a middle of the road scope that will allow me to cover most of my needs.

Define what is the most frequent use of the rifle and bias your choices in that direction

Reactions: JakeM
Unless you decide on an AMG as they do not sell Vortex products.

I will first admit that I am a complete nube when it comes to scopes. I have shot primarily open sites my entire life but have decided to go all in and have purchased a Desert Tech SRS A2 and am looking to put a nice scope on it. Going with the "buy once, cry once" mentality (which is also true with the Desert Tech purchase) I am really looking to get a really nice scope that will allow me to use it at the 100 yard range yet be able to reach out at 1000 to 1500 if I want to shoot a little competition. I have seen many good reviews of the Leupold scopes but I'm not married to that brand.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice from some of you veteran scope gurus out there. If a budget wasn't an issue, what would be your choice for a great overall scope that would allow you to do it all?

Thanks in advance.
For a switch barrel like your desert tech, I’d go with a Tangent Theta with Gen3xr for the easy zero change.

The RAXOR HD AMG 6-24x50 FFP looks very nice. Thoughts?

What are your thoughts? It’s ffp, good power range for long range and longer range hunting, plenty of elevation, zero stop, excellent reticle and comes in at 28.5 ounces.

What are your thoughts? It’s ffp, good power range for long range and longer range hunting, plenty of elevation, zero stop, excellent reticle and comes in at 28.5 ounces.
It does look like it covers most everything from what I can tell. I'm trying to compare it to a Leupold VX-6HD and see how they compare. Any others you wanna throw in the mix? LOL

Not really for cross overs. The Leupold are good too. Look at both and see which features they have you want.

For a switch barrel like your desert tech, I’d go with a Tangent Theta with Gen3xr for the easy zero change.

I will probably stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber for a while so it may be hard for me to justify the $4K. That IS a very nice scope though and would be great to rapidly re-zero like that. I do appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind. If I think I'll re-caliber anytime soon, I may bite the bullet and go for it.

This looks like a nice one as well. Definitely will add to the running. I appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks in advance.
That's a tough set of requirements and for that you need a riflescope from a company that pushes the optical envelope. March has a couple of offerings that will fit your requirements better than anything else. If your budget if unlimited, I would suggest you look at the March-FX 5-42X56 at around $4000. It can be had with a reticle designed by the Dark Lord of Optics who haunts this forum, ILya Koshkin and his FML-TR1. I'm currently testing such a riflescope and it it awesome.

However, if you're thinking of something less pricey, March has a pair of offerings in FFP that would fit your requirements: The March-F 3-24X42 or the 3-24X52. For your stated requirements, I would lean more towards the 52mm objective because of its inherent larger exit pupil at 24X compared to the 42mm. The trade off is that it's a little heavier and bulkier. I'm also testing these two scopes right now.

With the magnification range form 3 to 24, you can easily be quite precise from 0 to 1000 yards and beyond, and yet still be able to keep it a 3X for hunting. Either would be a nice complement for your 6.5 Creedmoor. Let's just look at the specs of the 3-24X52:

It's 13 inches long and weighs only a pound and a half: 24 ounces. As I said earlier, it's an FFP design and you can select from three reticles. It focuses down to 10 yards (closer than most any other riflescope), it has a 30mm tube and 34 MIL of elevation range, 110MOA if I converted properly. It will take you as far as your 6.5CM can shoot.

The scope body is machined from bar stock aluminum, not extruded, and it's argon-filled not that nitrogen crap. It has a 10 year warranty, fully transferable (like you would ever sell that scope) and they'll take care of you beyond the 10 years. These scopes are hand made in Japan, with zero Chinese parts.

Here is the link for more info:

If you can't find one in stock at EuroOptics or other fine places, call Don @ LongRangeSupply.com and he will order one for you to your exact specifications.

That's a tough set of requirements and for that you need a riflescope from a company that pushes the optical envelope. March has a couple of offerings that will fit your requirements better than anything else. If your budget if unlimited, I would suggest you look at the March-FX 5-42X56 at around $4000. It can be had with a reticle designed by the Dark Lord of Optics who haunts this forum, ILya Koshkin and his FML-TR1. I'm currently testing such a riflescope and it it awesome.

However, if you're thinking of something less pricey, March has a pair of offerings in FFP that would fit your requirements: The March-F 3-24X42 or the 3-24X52. For your stated requirements, I would lean more towards the 52mm objective because of its inherent larger exit pupil at 24X compared to the 42mm. The trade off is that it's a little heavier and bulkier. I'm also testing these two scopes right now.

With the magnification range form 3 to 24, you can easily be quite precise from 0 to 1000 yards and beyond, and yet still be able to keep it a 3X for hunting. Either would be a nice complement for your 6.5 Creedmoor. Let's just look at the specs of the 3-24X52:

It's 13 inches long and weighs only a pound and a half: 24 ounces. As I said earlier, it's an FFP design and you can select from three reticles. It focuses down to 10 yards (closer than most any other riflescope), it has a 30mm tube and 34 MIL of elevation range, 110MOA if I converted properly. It will take you as far as your 6.5CM can shoot.

The scope body is machined from bar stock aluminum, not extruded, and it's argon-filled not that nitrogen crap. It has a 10 year warranty, fully transferable (like you would ever sell that scope) and they'll take care of you beyond the 10 years. These scopes are hand made in Japan, with zero Chinese parts.

Here is the link for more info:

If you can't find one in stock at EuroOptics or other fine places, call Don @ LongRangeSupply.com and he will order one for you to your exact specifications.

I'll take a look at them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I second this. Toss a little canted red dot on there if you need some CQ action.

Great advice above. Over the years there have been hundreds of threads looking for the "Do all" scope or rifle or whatever gear. The end result is always the same. There IS NO do all rifle/scope combo. Many combos do, do it all "acceptable" but not best. I did the same thing back in 2010 and ended up with a 300 WM and NF scope that i can "make do" for all situations but not ideal.

If you want to go with a do all scope, IMO, the March or Tangent Theta mentioned above are as close as technology gets us today. You CAN make it work. You just need to practice and be that much better to achieve success.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with pics.

Great advice above. Over the years there have been hundreds of threads looking for the "Do all" scope or rifle or whatever gear. The end result is always the same. There IS NO do all rifle/scope combo. Many combos do, do it all "acceptable" but not best. I did the same thing back in 2010 and ended up with a 300 WM and NF scope that i can "make do" for all situations but not ideal.

If you want to go with a do all scope, IMO, the March or Tangent Theta mentioned above are as close as technology gets us today. You CAN make it work. You just need to practice and be that much better to achieve success.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with pics.
The March 3-24X52 is not a "do it all" scope. What is does have is the widest zoom range in an FFP in such a high package of that superb quality. It is not an LPVO, nor is it a high magnification scope for LR benchrest or F-class. But for the broad requirements that the OP outlined, this March ticks off al the boxes. I don't believe anything else listed here approaches the zoom range of the March. Now, if the OP wanted an SFP, March has a 2.5-25X42 or 52 that has a 10X zoom ratio. It's in the same package as the 3-24X FFP scopes I discussed earlier.

The key to the OP's requirements is zoom ratio along with a huge adjustment range; 3X, and 4X from the usual crowd and even 5X from TT just won't do the job. The 8X FFP with 34MIL of elevation, or the 10X SFP with 120MOA of elevation, both from March will, and with style.

• Haha
Reactions: MAC40 and Rob01
If you are going with buy once cry once you already I assume you know which are the top tier optics. If you include hunting as part of the chore, you'd probably want something slightly more compact. ZCO ZC420. Any of the S&B ultra shorts. Vortex AMG. There are quite a few others already mentioned above. I think you should try to look through any of these scopes and get the one with the reticle that best serves you.

Reactions: nomuzzleflash
Best for what?
If you dont know what you want you should buy a super chicken and use that untill you're experienced enough to decide what expensive glass "YOU" need.

FYI March scopes are for fags...

• Haha
Reactions: adubeau

Ever since I bought my ZCO 420 I can never go back. It's simply amazing.

It helps that I put it on a Desert Tech, so I can easily run multiple calibers but only have a single scope for them all. Made the decision easier. It sounds like you're putting it on an SRS as well, to me it's a no-brainer to go all-out on the scope for a setup like this.

I've taken it out to 1200 yards and I've taken hogs with it. I'd also carry it on a pack hunt, but haven't done that yet.

1597602754534.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 12.37.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 12.30.15 PM.png
Lots of good suggestions above.... There is truth in all of them. The long range/short range/ hunting/multi caliber question opens up a real can of worms. At this point, based on your questions and intended use. I'd suggest the ZCO 4-20 in a Spuhr mount with an RDS. Expensive, yes - Pretty darn heavy for hunting too. The up side is, you keep the rifle in it's proper role, which is to provide precision in as compact a package as possible. Understand that this suggestion tilts towards the ease of re-zeroing after caliber changes. These are the strong suits of your rifle and it's best to play that hand. You'll have to accept a bit more weight and expense to get there.
The RDS for the hunting and coyote scenario adds close range capability as a low penalty afterthought. You can easily remove it when it's no longer needed. My RDS has migrated around a bit and currently sits atop a lightweight AR build, which would be the first thing I'd grab to nail a 'yote.
Yes, you'll probably gravitate towards something more specialized if you start shooting competition or hunting regularly. The important thing is to go out and get experience... Hit the ranges, join some matches. I promise if you politely ask the right questions, most guys will be pretty open about answering. If they really like you, they might let you look through their optics and maybe even shoot a few rounds. Actual experience pulling the trigger will always be your best guide.
Before asking about Mils vs MOA, read this... https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/stop-the-debate-mils-vs-moa-vs-iphy/

I'd start by deciding if F-Class or PRS style shooting interests you more. A key factor will be what your fellow shooters are using.

A good scope on a poorly built rifle or a miss match ammo load will never make you happy.
There are reasons to buy a well made scope after you buy a well made rifle an d load the bast bullet and power to
give you the best group. Test many loads on a bench rest and then look for the best bang for the buck scope.
Too many shooters blame the rifle and or scope for the poor group size when it may be a mismatch powder load to the rifle?
I want you guys to develop a sub MOA group before the SHTF!
117646288_10220141025568207_6163410762491445654_n.jpg

Whats your budget? For anything under $500, it’s hard to beat the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24x50. I see you want to use for competition, and FFP in my opinion is necessary for this.

If you can spend a bit more, I would recommend the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 or 5-25x56. These are $1000, and you can see clearly at the ranges you shoot at.

I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions. Wanting to finalize things this week.

What do you all think about a DT SRS A2, a 6.5 CM Proof Research conversion kit and ZCO 527 optics.

Good combo?

I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions. Wanting to finalize things this week.

What do you all think about a DT SRS A2, a 6.5 CM Proof Research conversion kit and ZCO 527 optics.

Good combo?

The ZCO 527 is a great scope, I have one on my Impact 737r in 6.5 CM, but 5x might be too much for hunting, depending on how/what you hunt. That said, I would argue the SRS isn't a good hunting rifle, in general, unless you're talking about long-range hunting - and for that the ZCO is a great option. 6.5CM in any good barrel will be fine. What are you hunting and at what distances? If bigger game and longer ranges, you may want something with a little more energy downrange. 6.5 PRC, one of the 7mm magnums, etc. If you're just hunting medium sized game and keeping it to 500 and under, that seems like a good combination.

The ZCO 527 is a great scope, I have one on my Impact 737r in 6.5 CM, but 5x might be too much for hunting, depending on how/what you hunt. That said, I would argue the SRS isn't a good hunting rifle, in general, unless you're talking about long-range hunting - and for that the ZCO is a great option. 6.5CM in any good barrel will be fine. What are you hunting and at what distances? If bigger game and longer ranges, you may want something with a little more energy downrange. 6.5 PRC, one of the 7mm magnums, etc. If you're just hunting medium sized game and keeping it to 500 and under, that seems like a good combination.

Most hunting will be under 1000 yards but want to run out 1500 or so for target shooting. I did have an opportunity to elk hunt in CO a few years back and didn't because I just didn't have the equipment. Thought I would probably add a 338LM conversion kit if/when that comes up again.

Most hunting will be under 1000 yards but want to run out 1500 or so for target shooting. I did have an opportunity to elk hunt in CO a few years back and didn't because I just didn't have the equipment. Thought I would probably add a 338LM conversion kit if/when that comes up again.

You should go with a 7mm or 30cal magnum then. Spotting misses starts to become a challenge around 1000yds with 6.5mm CM and would be awful at 1500. I’ve taken mine out to 1720 (or tried) and you basically have to walk it in. Non issue with the mags if you are good with wind and ballistics.

And I would never hunt at 1000 for even medium game with 6.5CM. Have you ever hunted at these distances? It is not trivial and wounding game is awful.

No need for 338LM or the bigger stuff out at 1500. 7/30 would be my choice there. The recoil and cost isn’t worth it at that distance, and it wastes too much meat closer in if hunting.

In my opinion, you are falling into the one thing to do everything trap, it never works optimally. Just get the 6.5CM and ZCO and shoot at 1000 for a while on targets. Don’t hunt medium game at distances where energy is below 1k ftlbs or your shooting ability. Then pick up a larger caliber once you know what you want to do. Realize your rifle combo is not going to make a good backpacking or field carry gun and just give up on that idea for now if you had it. The covert is 9.5lbs without anything on it and that’s way too heavy. The longer barrels are even worse.

Last edited:
You should go with a 7mm or 30cal magnum then. Spotting misses starts to become a challenge around 1000yds with 6.5mm CM and would be awful at 1500. I’ve taken mine out to 1720 (or tried) and you basically have to walk it in. Non issue with the mags if you are good with wind and ballistics.

And I would never hunt at 1000 for even medium game with 6.5CM. Have you ever hunted at these distances? It is not trivial and wounding game is awful.

No need for 338LM or the bigger stuff out at 1500. 7/30 would be my choice there. The recoil and cost isn’t worth it at that distance, and it wastes too much meat closer in if hunting.

In my opinion, you are falling into the one thing to do everything trap, it never works optimally. Just get the 6.5CM and ZCO and shoot at 1000 for a while on targets. Don’t hunt medium game at distances where energy is below 1k ftlbs or your shooting ability. Then pick up a larger caliber once you know what you want to do. Realize your rifle combo is not going to make a good backpacking or field carry gun and just give up on that idea for now if you had it. The covert is 9.5lbs without anything on it and that’s way too heavy. The longer barrels are even worse.

Sorry, the way I worded that was a little confusing. Hunting will be WELL under 1000 yards (closer to 300) but do want to target at 1000-1500. And like i mentioned, I would look to get the 338LM for the elk hunt.

As for weight, I think the SRS standard in the 6.5 and the 338LM where at 9.5lbs and 9.2lbs if I remember correctly. And with the ZCO at 2.3, I didn't think 11.5lb would be bad but I have never been hiking with an 11.5lb rifle so maybe I'm wrong.

As for weight, I think the SRS standard in the 6.5 and the 338LM where at 9.5lbs and 9.2lbs if I remember correctly. And with the ZCO at 2.3, I didn't think 11.5lb would be bad but I have never been hiking with an 11.5lb rifle so maybe I'm wrong.

The SRS is a god damn pig kitted out. Anything over 10 lbs sucks a lot, even when you are in shape. If one wants a walking gun, the SRS isn't for them. The A2's weight savings are much appreciated, but I would rather build a dedicated walking gun and keep the SRS fully kitted and ready to go for everything else.

And before someone chimes in about how they walked miles with their 17lb A.I., i lugged my 13lbs SRS for a few miles. Doesn't make it fun compared to an 8lbs AR or 6lbs brush gun.

OP, I run a NF 4-16 on my SRS with a 16" 6.5CM and 26" 300PRC barrel. Yes I wish I had more mag for something like group shooting, but it doesn't limit me on practical accuracy (steel/hunting) out past 1000 yards. ZCO 4-20 is the dream for this package, but I am back in school and can't swing it.

Reactions: nomuzzleflash