• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope under $1500

Chad44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2012
Castle rock, CO
I'm looking for a FFP with mil/mil or moa/moa reticle/turret. Max power of 24 ish. Hunting and shooting to 1500 yards. I own all leupolds now and love them but wonder what else guys like in this range. I've read good things about vortex. I've read only a few posts stating that the glass wasn't as clear at higher power but then 50 replies stating this was the case in their glass. Thanks for the input.

I don't think anything really touches the Bushnell DMR G2 in that price range. There is alot of options, but few are proven along with features found is scopes twice that price.

I'm in the same boat been looking at fixed power specifically a us optics st-10 its only 10x. Or a used vortex razor HD those are the ones on top of my list so far.also of course the swfa as 5-20 HD too.

SWFA 5x20x50 hd rocks , Bushnell Elite Tatical G2. Love mine The HD glass on the SWFA is amazing ,built like a tank , 50 cal rated.

Another G2DMR whore vote here. I had to get a second one so I could stop swapping the first one back and forth. Paid on the first one for 5 months with George at GAP after the first group buy. Would do it all over again if I had to. Never owned another scope in its price range but I really like the scope and reticle

Yeah, you can get the G2DMR well under $1500. If you do really want to spend $1500 then there are some great options out there in the used market. Of course you could add a few hundred and try to find a used NF F1 or something along the lines of what Lazy said, used Razor maybe.

For $200 more than that I picked up a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 with a gen2 MilDot. Not knocking the Bushnell, but there are great deals out there on other, arguably higher end, scopes. I have seen F1's every so often close to that too.

"Best" is a pretty bold statement. What I may think is the best may not be the best for you. It's gonna vary person to person. There are a lot of good scopes out there for that price, just have to research and see what fits you.

For $200 more than that I picked up a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 with a gen2 MilDot. Not knocking the Bushnell, but there are great deals out there on other, arguably higher end, scopes. I have seen F1's every so often close to that too.

You picked up a Premier Heritage for $1700?! WOW

At that price range I'd either look for a used F1 for a couple hundred more or call around for a price on a ERS. You'd be surprised what the right vendor will sell them for. The zero stop and high speed knobs are well worth the difference over the DMR.

At that price range I'd either look for a used F1 for a couple hundred more or call around for a price on a ERS. You'd be surprised what the right vendor will sell them for. The zero stop and high speed knobs are well worth the difference over the DMR.

They are about $1400 for the 3.5-21 and $1500 for the 4-30 with mil/leo.

In that price range I would get the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50. It has a significantly better turret system than the Bushnell (which I would rate #2 in this category). No question that is has the best glass South of $2,000.00. Significantly more money must be spent if looking for better glass than the SS HD. I run mostly Schmidt, Premier, March, and USO. I had the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50, the ERS (updated version of DMR), and the XRS 4.5-30x50. I sold all 3. I've kept the SS HD 5-20 and I do not find it disappointing to get behind even immediately after shooting using my other optics.

Of the scopes that I have personally owned and used, my vote would go to the Bushnell 3.5-21x50mm if you're looking to buy new and/or want a first focal plane arrangement. On the used market, I still really like the Nightforce NXS if a second focal plane scope is acceptable for your needs. A used Vortex Razor HD would also be a great buy at that price point, although it seems that average transaction prices hover about $200 higher.

I agree with those who have noted the SSHD as being one of the best in the sub 2K category. My only wish is that they would get a GAP or Horus-like reticle in their lineup. I'd sell my XRS and Razor to get one of those. The SSHD glass is superior to all of those in that category, IMHO.

From what I have heard, the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x is better looking glass than the 4-16x.

But I like my Viper PST 6-24x.

Look in the FS section on here. I've bought two damn fine, nearly new and in the box scopes off of here, a Leupold 2.5-8x mildot ($600? forget price) and a new model 3.2-17x USO SN3 GAP reticle all tricked out for around $1800 I think.

I'm okay with used optics as long as they look new and are high end ones. Always had good experience with members on here too (but I only deal with guys that have been around here for a while or that I know or "internet know" on expensive items). That's where you are likely to get the best bang for buck.

I completely agree with the above. I have also found GunBroker a good place for deals you just have to know what you are looking for and looking at. If an item has been on there for a while the seller, if private and not a store, is usually willing to make a deal.

Stay away from USO. Too many QC Horror stories and issues for a scope that cost that much money.

A range bud just picked up the Vortex pst 6x24 ffp. I shot through it last weekend & I was impressed, very clear especially for the $ IMO. He bought it off GB for $825 shipped. I shot through several regular PSTs also & I liked them as well.

I'm looking for a FFP with mil/mil or moa/moa reticle/turret. Max power of 24 ish. Hunting and shooting to 1500 yards. I own all leupolds now and love them but wonder what else guys like in this range. I've read good things about vortex. I've read only a few posts stating that the glass wasn't as clear at higher power but then 50 replies stating this was the case in their glass. Thanks for the input.

Chad44, I don't know how important FFP is for you, if you could use a SFP I would encourage you to check out the Meopta 4-16X44. A friend of mine went to the Shot Show and returned insisting that I had to see one of these scopes, he bragged about the quality of the glass stating it was as good as his SB, also said the scope was built like a tank.

Last week I ordered one from Sport Optics and I have to say he was right, in my opinion it's not only the best scope in it's price point it's glass is better then NF and as good as SB. Of course it's not FFP and it has it's focus on the front instead of on the side, I guess in order to have that kind of glass in a scope and keep that price point they have there has to be some trade off. If you really think about it YES it's nice to have the side focus but how important is it, I would rather have top quality glass, I can live with front focus. Just my opinion good luck.....

Last edited: