• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope under $800

Eric1122

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
I am looking for a good tactical scope under $700(I can go to $800 if its a great deal). I am looking to put it on a Savage .308 10FCP-K. I would like it in the mid range powers like a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm which I found online for about $780 new(I would like a 50mm as well but they go way over $800 most of the time unless used). I was also looking into the Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Viper in the same or similar power ranges. I dont want anything over 20x or under 12x max magnification. If you have a good used scope for sale, please mention it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

Re: Best scope under $800

I am looking into the PST as well but from what I hear there is not much diffrence in the performance between the Viper PST and the reg Viper. Is there enough of a difference to justify the additional $300?

Sightron SIII is very good glass for that price range if you can live without FFP. I have a Weaver tac also but SIII is just a little better glass wise (Weaver has lots of nice features but the glass is just a tab behind SIII).

i would look for a used leupold,i had a vortex 4-16 pst sadly disappointed in the glass.

I have heard some good things about the new Weaver 3-15x50mm tactical FFP. I have also heard that the Vortex PSt 4-16x PST is inferior glass to even the 6-24 vortex PST. I am looking for a used Leupold 4.5-14x either in 40mm or 50mm. I saw somwone had one of those Leupolds here for $950 and it was the 4.5-14x50mm ER/T illiminated reticle FFP but it sold very quickly.

I understand that $700-$800 is all you have to spend right now, but consider this:

If you buy a new scope, one that is built to a $800 price point, the moment you take it out of the package it's resale value will be about $400. In a year you will want/need to upgrade to something better and, even if you can find someone who wants to buy a used scope in that quality range, you will have lost $400.

If you buy a used Nightforce NXS for $1200 it will probably be worth the same $1200 for the next year or two. If something happens and you need to raise some cash it will sell on here probably within the first hour. And if you don't have to sell it you may never want or need to upgrade to something better.

I am not telling you to buy a $3000 scope. But I am saying that buying at least the quality of a used NF is one way that people, who have a bit more money to spend, keep the money in the game that they spend on the game.

I am not a big fan of Nightforce. My buddy has 3 high end scopes, one being a Nightforce(not sure on the magnification), the other a Schmidt Bender(3-12x50) and a leupold Mark 4 (4.5-14x40mm) and of the 3 after looking down range I can clearly see the best optics was on the Schmidt Bender, followed by the leupold and last the Nightforce. He said the Nightforce tracks perfect but he also said that about the leupold and the SB. Personally I just had my first child and cant spend more than $800. I probably should not be spending more than $500 but I dont want to put a crappy scope on a rifle that shoots as good as the Savage 10 FCP-K. I hope I can find someone here online that is selling a Schmidt Bender, Leupold Mark 4, Zeiss.... Speaking of Zeiss, does anyone have any experience with the Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50mm with Target Turrets? I dont think it has enough internal adjustments to get out to 1000 yards but then again i could be wrong.

Now this is most likely NOT what you want to hear but what about a Falcon Menace 4-14ffp? I have one and its pretty popular around here. Its a great lower end scope that can get you shooting for now and so you can save more money later for a better scope. Just a thought and option.

So, you knock the Nightforce because it's glass is worse than a Schmidt and Bender? The S&B cost 3k, the Nightforce is $1,800 new, and the Leupold is around $1200 depending on model. That's a huge price difference in all of them. My Leupold had great glass but didn't track for shit. All the Nightforces I've shot with have tracked absolutely perfect, and the glass was really good, but I now have a S&B. To compare the glass in those two optics isn't a fair comparison. I would put the Nightforce leaps and bounds better than any Leupold, and I've had two of Leupolds top of the line scopes. The Nightforce glass isn't superb or flawless, but the scope is built like a tank and always tracks right. My advice is to get a PST or save up for a Nightforce.

007, have you checked into swfa ss ? there worth there weight in gold ! very reliable ,track perfect , i own 3 currently and wouldn't hesitate to buy more ! i seen a few for sale in optics sale section!

Weaver just came out with a 4-20x50 with their EMDR reticle and 1/10 mil turret. Could probably be had in your price range and would be tough to beat. Either that or Sightron6-24 with Moa 2 reticle. I am in your same position and considering both of those scopes.

@Remau308 Thanks for your advice but I thought the Leupold glass was better than the Nightforce after looking through them for myself (maybe my eyes are not as good as yours)and the nightforce probably does track better but you are the first person that I have heard from that says that the Lepold Mark 4 does not track well. I only compared the 3 because he bought his Schmidt Bender used from one of these forums for $980 so the price was comparable. Also the PST I have heard bad reviews on it especially the 4-16x50mm (I read good stuff about the 6-24x50mm PST). By the way, were you the one selling the Lepold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T and had some pictures posted with some badger ordinance rings? I got a guy trying to get me to send him $800 through moneygram for it using your exact pictures (the serial number is the same). I thought I had a great deal going but he made a mistake calling the rings Mark 4 instead of badger so I started to look around and found your post.... I am guessing its a scam.

ill be the second to say the leupold doesn't track for shit.

you really have to be carful reading online reviews and believing them. i could write a review on the specs of a computer but in real life i barley know how to turn one on, and if its not mine i dont know.

Send me a PM with his screenname, and a link to his sell ad so I can confirm it's who I sold it to, or follow the paper trail. It would be a shame to get scammed because I sold it for $1,300, so you're getting a hell of a deal.

I won't argue that Leupolds have great glass (all mine were very nice), but glass clarity isn't that big a deal. I would much rather have a Nightforce with slightly inferior glass that tracks flawlessly than a bright, clear Leupold that won't track. All the Nightforces I've shot with have great glass, not Swarovski, Zeiss or S&B bright, but good nonetheless.

I also had to add....a SCHMIDT and BENDER for $980?! Was it a PMII, and where the hell was I? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver just came out with a 4-20x50 with their EMDR reticle and 1/10 mil turret. Could probably be had in your price range and would be tough to beat. Either that or Sightron6-24 with Moa 2 reticle. I am in your same position and considering both of those scopes. </div></div>

Could you give me some info on that? I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3-15x version when i read your comment, when is it coming out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver just came out with a 4-20x50 with their EMDR reticle and 1/10 mil turret. Could probably be had in your price range and would be tough to beat. Either that or Sightron6-24 with Moa 2 reticle. I am in your same position and considering both of those scopes. </div></div>

Could you give me some info on that? I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3-15x version when i read your comment, when is it coming out? </div></div>

I just checked out Weaver's sight and they list a 4-20 model with .1 mrad knobs and a mildot reticle. It is not illumated and does not have the EDMR reticle.

@Renault308.He was not from this forum. I found him on the Alberta outdoorsman forum and he went by kaler as his user name. Since then the forum has deleted his posting. I have the email he sent me with the exact same pictures. He is expecting me to send him a Moneygram and is all exited waiting. I tried to get the police to catch him but they are not interested as no crime has actually taken place. I think that is ridiculous but he says he is in Canada and I am in Florida so no law agency wants a piece of him. He says his name is Tom Kaler from Canada......is that who you sold it to?

It is not the same guy, and I would suggest not purchasing his scope with my pictures and serial number. In fact, I'm going to delete the pictures now.

I would go with either a WOTAC 4x1450mm Ihave 5 all track great and hold zero there a 223 to a 338 Win Mag. You could also go with the Millet LRS friend has one and swears by it has 140 MOA's of elevation.

SWFA 10X or 16X and a case of ammo would be a good investment until you can afford a better scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA 10X or 16X and a case of ammo would be a good investment until you can afford a better scope. </div></div>

i'm in a similar situation.... and this is what i'm doing.

I just sold a Sightron SIII for 700, and I believe it is definitely one to look at for your price. I have another which I use a fair amount. It tracks perfectly, has exceptional glass, and the turrets are very positive. Very hard to find anything wrong with them!
I will say I have never had an issue with any of the leupold scopes I have used over the years (all VX IIIs). I have been debating getting one of their MK 4 scopes. Good luck with your search, lots of good scopes out there now.

I will give another one up on the Sightron. I have a SIII on my FCP-K Savage, and it is great. MOA-2 reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver just came out with a 4-20x50 with their EMDR reticle and 1/10 mil turret. Could probably be had in your price range and would be tough to beat. Either that or Sightron6-24 with Moa 2 reticle. I am in your same position and considering both of those scopes. </div></div>

Could you give me some info on that? I was just about to pull the trigger on the 3-15x version when i read your comment, when is it coming out? </div></div>

I just checked out Weaver's sight and they list a 4-20 model with .1 mrad knobs and a mildot reticle. It is not illumated and does not have the EDMR reticle. </div></div>

Yeah, same here, I was hoping that it would have the EMDR and illuminated reticle, but mil/mil will suffice for me, no one has it listed yet though, so I guess I have to wait a while.

Another nod for Sightron.I've got 4 of them,and couldn't be happier with their performance.

I would do a vortex viper hs lr 4-16x50 for $530. I own 3 PST 6-24's one FFP and 2 sfp, 1 vortex razor hd 5-20, 2 nightforce 8-32, and 1 hs lr and if you dont have the money the hs lr is great. The radical selection sucks but the scope is good for the money. JMO

sightron sIII has as good/better glass than an NXS.....but it's not built as robust. if you're not going to be dragging the rifle around, then i'd go with an 8-32 sIII FOR SURE

I know a lot of people have said the same, but you can't ignore the sightron SIII. They are great pieces of glass for the price. Some say the best for the money.

GSRswapandslow said:
sightron sIII has as good/better glass than an NXS.....but it's not built as robust. if you're not going to be dragging the rifle around, then i'd go with an 8-32 sIII FOR SURE [/quote

my thoughts exactly

+1 on SWFA's SS 16x. They support the Hide, their products last, decent price, and CS is as good as they come.

You will not be disappointed and it will look like it belongs on that rig of yours.

Let me put in another vote against the Leupold. I'm not impressed at all. In fact, I may have traded one to remau308 (I traded one to someone in Auburn for a short barreled upper) - tracked okay, but I've had better. Glass wasn't terribly impressive either. Not what you'd expect in a $1200 scope (or $800 for that matter)

I like the idea of the SFWA. No knowledge of Falcon yet, but I've just placed an order for one.

I'm not sure about the Falcon either. I was interested in it - then I came across a fellow that had one in the range. It was, well :eek:kay:. I'm not sure how well it's build but the features are nice.

I must be a lucky dog! I never had a leupold that didnt track perfect and I have 11 of them. In my opinion you will be best off getting a varix2 6-18x 40mm with target knobs. Its a great scope with super glass and very repeatable. The only thing I could change is the option for a mildot reticule. If you look around they can be had for 500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver just came out with a 4-20x50 with their EMDR reticle and 1/10 mil turret. Could probably be had in your price range and would be tough to beat. Either that or Sightron6-24 with Moa 2 reticle. I am in your same position and considering both of those scopes. </div></div>

I just checked out Weaver's sight and they list a 4-20 model with .1 mrad knobs and a mildot reticle. It is not illumated and does not have the EDMR reticle. </div></div>

Yeah, same here, I was hoping that it would have the EMDR and illuminated reticle, but mil/mil will suffice for me, no one has it listed yet though, so I guess I have to wait a while. </div></div>

Sorry fellas, I jumped the gun a little on that. It will probably be out next year. The 4-20 mil/mil is still a good option though, I have never had a need for illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Agent 007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a big fan of Nightforce. My buddy has 3 high end scopes, one being a Nightforce(not sure on the magnification), the other a Schmidt Bender(3-12x50) and a leupold Mark 4 (4.5-14x40mm) and of the 3 after looking down range I can clearly see the best optics was on the Schmidt Bender, followed by the leupold and last the Nightforce. He said the Nightforce tracks perfect but he also said that about the leupold and the SB. Personally I just had my first child and cant spend more than $800. I probably should not be spending more than $500 but I dont want to put a crappy scope on a rifle that shoots as good as the Savage 10 FCP-K. I hope I can find someone here online that is selling a Schmidt Bender, Leupold Mark 4, Zeiss.... Speaking of Zeiss, does anyone have any experience with the Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50mm with Target Turrets? I dont think it has enough internal adjustments to get out to 1000 yards but then again i could be wrong. </div></div>

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with target turrets on a 20 moa rail. It will easily dial to 1000yds for my .260, you'd have to double check your ballistics but I bet it would be fine. Its a great scope and you can find them in your price range if you hunt a little.

I saw you didn't want under 12x, but get the SS10x42HD MILQUAD and forget about all the other optics in that price range. I remember when they came out with they advertised if the optics and mechanics did not perfrom of a scope twice the money they would refund no questions asked. I think the scope perfroms that and more.

I would go for a Sightron I love mine. The best part is one mil on the scope is exactly one mil on the paper.