• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Sling Stud Bipod Money Can Buy?

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
Just wondering if money is no object what others would recommend as the best bipod (sling stud bipods only)?

As much as they get Pooh poo’d here, Harris makes a solid bipod good for “most” applications.

Is it something that is ideal for super rugged use in a critical environment? No. But for 99 percent of recreational shooting (and that includes precision recreational shooting) it will do just fine.

Used ones (sometimes still in package) are all over eBay for $30-50 if you shop. Beware bad fakes.

Cheers!

Sirhr

Or spend big $ on the accutac conversion from sling stud to pic rail ($70 IIRC) and use any pic rail bipod ya want.

I prefer the loading of others and do still use a Harris from time to time
Strangely, I dont miss because of the Harris.

Atlas. Handsdown, no comparison.

When money (and my wife) is not an object. Which it often is, at least for me. And then I still go for Atlas if it's possible.

Atlas. Handsdown, no comparison.

When money (and my wife) is not an object. Which it often is, at least for me. And then I still go for Atlas if it's possible.

Do they make an Atlas that goes on a sling swivel stud? That's the gist of the question.

Not tried a CYKE that I know of. If they make one that goes on a sling swivel stud, I would expect it would be nice. They are pretty spendy! But if it were me and I were going to spend that Atlas/Tier-One money on a bipod, I'd just put a proper rail on and then mount that way.

Sling Swivel Stud mounts are kind of... adequate. But if you are going all out wiht bipod, stock, chassis, etc... rail is the way to go.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ckyepod with sling stud attachment

ckye.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Sblzrd65
Do they make an Atlas that goes on a sling swivel stud? That's the gist of the question.

Not tried a CYKE that I know of. If they make one that goes on a sling swivel stud, I would expect it would be nice. They are pretty spendy! But if it were me and I were going to spend that Atlas/Tier-One money on a bipod, I'd just put a proper rail on and then mount that way.

Sling Swivel Stud mounts are kind of... adequate. But if you are going all out wiht bipod, stock, chassis, etc... rail is the way to go.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Atlas does not (as far as I'm aware). You need a swing swivel adapter, which I've used, and it works very well. It depends on the swing swivel stud, though. If the stud is molded or otherwise part of the foundation, the adapter works awesome. If it's a bolt-on stud, in my experience it's shit, and you need an MLOK picatinny section to make the bipod nice and stable (assuming the chassis has MLOK). Otherwise, an arca rail is the best option, but the arca version of the Atlas is pricey, not to mention if you need to buy the rail and adapter. At least from what I've seen.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Atlas does not (as far as I'm aware). You need a swing swivel adapter, which I've used, and it works very well. It depends on the swing swivel stud, though. If the stud is molded or otherwise part of the foundation, the adapter works awesome. If it's a bolt-on stud, in my experience it's shit, and you need an MLOK picatinny section to make the bipod nice and stable (assuming the chassis has MLOK). Otherwise, an arca rail is the best option, but the arca version of the Atlas is pricey, not to mention if you need to buy the rail and adapter. At least from what I've seen.
The short version is...

There is no free lunch.

Thanks... good info.

Sirhr

There is no sense in hanging a $300 (Atlas) - $800 (CKye-pod) bipod off a sling stud. The stud will far and away be the weak link.

If you want to use the stud, get a new Harris or find a used one (avoid knock-offs, even flimsier than the sling stud), replace the tension knob with a Pod-Loc, and run it.

If you want to buy a more expensive bipod, do it right and find a way to mount an ARCA or picatinney rail in place of the stud first.

There is no sense in hanging a $300 (Atlas) - $800 (CKye-pod) bipod off a sling stud. The stud will far and away be the weak link.

If you want to use the stud, get a new Harris or find a used one (avoid knock-offs, even flimsier than the sling stud), replace the tension knob with a Pod-Loc, and run it.

If you want to buy a more expensive bipod, do it right and find a way to mount an ARCA or picatinney rail in place of the stud first.
This is what I was going to say. If you have to stick with the stud only, then Harris is going to make the most sense. It is IMPORTANT that you get the model with the notched legs for length adjustment, AND the swivel base to adjust rifle cant, AND get a Pod-Loc for it so you can have enough leverage to actually tighten the swivel (the standard thumb wheel is terrible). In this configuration it is actually a decent bipod, but it will still try to roll away from you if you try to load it on a firm flat surface due to the rotating legs.

If you want to upgrade to a better bipod (I prefer Atlas CAL, but several of the others suggested here are excellent too), it just makes more sense to upgrade the rifle to a proper Picatinny or Arca rail and use the corresponding mount for the bipod. That way you’re getting the most out of the advantages of a premium bipod and not limiting it by using a makeshift mount. And you can still have a sling stud on the rail if you have a sling.

Tier One makes an optional sling stud attachment for their tactical bipod (and maybe others).

1715664028418.jpeg

But don’t buy their carbon fiber models as they one I had (and returned) had aluminum legs with a thin cosmetic CF tube over it. Only discovered it as the glue had failed and the tube was spinning around the leg. I returned it.

Seemed like a nice bipod, however, and the video reviews I’ve seen are positive.

Maybe they’ve changed construction? I’d check before shelling out money for their CF.

This is what I was going to say. If you have to stick with the stud only, then Harris is going to make the most sense. It is IMPORTANT that you get the model with the notched legs for length adjustment, AND the swivel base to adjust rifle cant, AND get a Pod-Loc for it so you can have enough leverage to actually tighten the swivel (the standard thumb wheel is terrible). In this configuration it is actually a decent bipod, but it will still try to roll away from you if you try to load it on a firm flat surface due to the rotating legs.

If you want to upgrade to a better bipod (I prefer Atlas CAL, but several of the others suggested here are excellent too), it just makes more sense to upgrade the rifle to a proper Picatinny or Arca rail and use the corresponding mount for the bipod. That way you’re getting the most out of the advantages of a premium bipod and not limiting it by using a makeshift mount. And you can still have a sling stud on the rail if you have a sling.
The situationally funny part is by the time someone adds a pod-loc, then the talon/raptor felt, and anything else the Harris ends up being around the same as the other options.

If the sling swivel stud is mandatory only, then also vote for the notched Harris option. Now, will somewhat depend on the use/need, but if the option's available, just pay a few bucks for an ARCA rail piece and you'll get a lot more adjustability and utility.

Surprise to some, and some light CF stocks are not quite as easy to drill and mount tnuts in.
But have a secure sling stud.

A rail is my preference as well.
But that wasnt the question.
I run pic rail for bipod, short salmon river arca in back for tripod on my main hunting stock.

I havent used one, and the gunwerks bipod looks pretty dang slick for a hunting rifle.
Guys using it like it.

1715689006708.png

BTW, just snagged this on eBay to put on an older varmint rifle... $31. New in bag. WIth shipping... $38.

I am not sure I can get a quality non-ChiCom rail section for that.

Is it a Harris or a top quality bipod I'd stake my life or the lives of other on? Well, for decades until the advent of the Atlas and high-end bipods in the early 2000's... Harris bipods were the state of the art. As I said above, for 99 percent of applications and probably shooters, they still are perfectly usable. Even those stuck on sling swivels.

I have lots of more expensive, better, cooler, lighter, Tier-one-ier bipods. I think I got my first Atlas about 20 years ago... maybe a bit less and LOVE those guys. But Harris still has its place.

Sirhr

Reactions: vh20
As much as they get Pooh poo’d here, Harris makes a solid bipod good for “most” applications.

Is it something that is ideal for super rugged use in a critical environment? No. But for 99 percent of recreational shooting (and that includes precision recreational shooting) it will do just fine.

Used ones (sometimes still in package) are all over eBay for $30-50 if you shop. Beware bad fakes.

Cheers!

Sirhr
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but haven't more bodies been dropped from Harris bipods than likely any other brand? I would assume that would have to be the case, given the length of their history and application in military and LEO contracts. Atlas and the others have been around for a fraction of the time, so they haven't had the opportunity to catch up on the Harris body count.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but haven't more bodies been dropped from Harris bipods than likely any other brand? I would assume that would have to be the case, given the length of their history and application in military and LEO contracts. Atlas and the others have been around for a fraction of the time, so they haven't had the opportunity to catch up on the Harris body count.

Just because something works, doesn't mean it's optimal.

Toyota Corollas have driven many more miles around the globe, but I'd personally would rather be driving a Ranger Rover.

Toyota Corollas have driven many more miles around the globe, but I'd personally would rather be driving a Ranger Rover.
That was my thoughts also, sure it works but I'd way rather use a ckye pod for versatility.
But I also wouldn't put a ckypod on a sling stud. I'd put a rail on

True… but lots of places a Range Rover is a breakdown waiting to happen while a 1984 Corolla or POS beat-to-hell HiLux is easy to keep running, blends in and is impervious to just about anything. And when it does break some guy sitting in the dirt and using his toes as a bench vice… can make it work again.

;-)

Cheers!

• Haha
Reactions: vh20 and Taylorbok