• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Small Caliber Target Scope

kennyfisher4413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Ashville, OH
Whats are some of the best scopes to use for .22LR target competitions, good from 10yds to about 250 or so? Im looking for something thats not going to put me in debt but still keep me competitive.

Re: Best Small Caliber Target Scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold EFR</div></div>

What does EFR stand for? I've got my guesses, buy want to know for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold EFR</div></div>

What does EFR stand for? I've got my guesses, buy want to know for sure. </div></div>

Extremely f-ing retahhded

Militant,

I like the Falcon Optics line. Either the 4.5x14x44mm FFP MIL/MIL, 4-18x56MM SFP MIL/MIL or the new 5.5-25x50mm FFP MIL/MIL (MIL/MIL indicates metric adjustments in Falcon speak on all three).

None are over $500. and the two smaller one's are under $400.

They all will focus down to 10 yds. Perfect for a rimfire.

Bob

Leupold EFR are able to focus down to 10 yards, unlike most centerfire scopes, which is important for the OP's requirements.

Bob,

Thanks I will have to look into those...the Leuopld is a great scope but out of my price range right now im looking under $400.. That will meet the requirements to shoot competitvely in rimfire comps.

Militant83,

The old style Adjustable Optic Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 series scopes have been a favorite of Field Target Air rifle shooters.

They focus down to 10 yards,are light weight,have low profile target turrets and have the best glass for the price of any scope on the market.I have 2 and they have an image resolution that is as clear as my $1700 Nightforce.They only have one fault and that is the turret adjustment range.If you want to shoot to 200Y with a 22 then you need a 20 MOA base.

I did a side to side comparison with a friend with his new Bushnell 30mm side focus 6-24x50.Not kidding...He offered to trade me strait across right then!

Steve

I would second the Falcon. The parallax adjusts in nice and close and with a sloped base you can get out past 200yds easily. Here's one on my 22LR trainer:

_MG_0596.JPG

Robert thanks for the advice I think im going to put a falson on one of 2 rifles that im building. Im building a tactical target rifle..kind similar to rugers stock tactical target..but im going with custom....whats the set up on that .22 trainer

+1 on the B&L 6-24. Check out field of view, 6ft@24x. Most scopes have less than 6ft@20. The new Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 has 6,3ft@16x. The 6-24 Monarch has 4.2ft@24x..

Leupold use to make a 3.5-10 EFR scope which are very nice. The standard for rimfire scopes are the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR scopes. That said the 3-9 EFR are nice field scopes (not enough power off a sandbag). All of mine saw Premier Reticles when they could still work on Leupold scopes and all have the same sized dot reticle which has served me well. Leupold can change the reticle in any Leupold scope you get for a fee.

Pat

Tasco also makes the Varmint/Target in a 6-24x42 version. I have four of them, and I like them, and not just for .22LR's. There's one on my customized Savage F Class .260 as well. Focuses down to 15yd, 1/4Min Covered Target Knobs, 75+MOA of Elevation, MilDot reticle, retails in the $80 range. Absolutely not a top end scope, but nice, cheap, and effective. Could be a tad sharper and brighter, but really quite good for the price.

Greg

I think I'm going to try one of those Tascos just because Greg keeps bragging on them. I'm also itching to try a 4.5-14x Buckmaster. Keep an eye on the SWFA sample list as has already been noted. What and where are you shooting in Ohio out to 250 yards with a rimfire? I might be interested in that club.

I think im going to try the tasco out on my lil brothers rifle im getting him for christmas. As for mine I think im going to go with a Falcon Menace optic and a Bushnell 3200 elite series.

Mscott,
competition wise as of right now im not going to shoot out to 200-250 just for practice and fun. The pickaway county gun club does rimfire 50/50 benchrest that im going to do also at 50yds.
Ive been seeing out west where they have been holding these .22LR precision tactical comps. where they shoot from like 15-200yds at different stages....I think that would be fun to get going in the central ohio area if there isnt anything already.

Where do you shoot? once i get back from this deployment im going to be looking for new places to shoot...

+1 on the Bushnell 4200 6-24x40. I have been using one on my Sako Finfire for over 4 years and it has seen a lot of use . I use an adjustable 1 piece mount so that with a bit of trial and error I now have my 20 yard zero at about 6-8 moa up from the bottom leaving me enough to get out to 200 yds (the max i shoot comps at with this rifle). From 20/25 yard zero I need 20-24 moa of elevation to get to 200, depending on ammunition and conditions. This model only has about 36 moa of elevation so a sloped mount of some sort is critical. Optical clarity is very good and I have yet to have a problem with tracking.

Cheers.

mscott..those ranges look like some pretty good places to shoot once I get me a Nice long range rifle built...one of these days right now im just shooting my .22cal cost less to shoot....hahaha

Don't know if its the best, but the Weaver T24 would work great for a target only scope. Their used in benchrest compititions, so they must be OK. Love mine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Militant83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mscott..those ranges look like some pretty good places to shoot once I get me a Nice long range rifle built...one of these days right now im just shooting my .22cal cost less to shoot....hahaha </div></div>
Rayner's starts in Feb (4th Sunday of the month all year) and Thunder Valley will hopefully have something going as well. Keep an eye on the competition forum on here for events. Come and see what it's all about. I'm sure we'll be able to find you a stick to shoot.

The only reason I harp on these scopes is because I've heard a fair amount of good feedback here that mirrors my own observations. I've also heard some negatives, but not really enough to make me think theres more than the usual degree of 'lemonage' at work here. For $80, I don't expect the 'Taj Mahal level' of quality control. You buy enough of them, and I'm certain a bummer will eventually show up. But for me, with 4, not yet.

Greg

Mscott

I will for sure have to come check it out..I get back from this deployment in june so i will still have plenty of time left to shoot...I talked myself into along with my .22 im gonna buy me a rem.700 with a nice scope to start shooting on occasions when i can afford to.

Well everyone thanks for all the ideas..I think i ended up hijacking my own thread...lol....mscott pm me if you want to carry on the range talk