• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best stock 700 action in .308 to drop into a AICS

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
For a brand new build what would be your choice to install into a AICS (short action)?

Looking for the best factory action, trigger and barrel combo that REM makes in .308 to drop into a AICS.

5-R Milspec
XCR Tactical Long Range
Model 40-X
700P LTR

???????????

Re: Best stock 700 action in .308 to drop into a AICS

i would say if you are keeping the barreled action stock, id go with the 5r

Re: Best stock 700 action in .308 to drop into a AICS

If you have the money, the 40-X.

Re: Best stock 700 action in .308 to drop into a

5r, or if you have the money for a 40x just go custom.

40X is by far much better than any of the 700s. 40X trigger is much smoother. Already squared and bedded. Guaranteed accuracy. Stainless steel action and barrel. I have a 40X and it compares to most custom rifles.

But if you are going to get a 40X, why not just keep it with the original stock? If you want you can get a DBM upgrade, and thread the barrel, otherwise there isn't much one needs to do to improve it. Plus, the rifle will hold it's value better unaltered.

So if you really are going to just change out the stock, then save your money and get a 5R or XCR instead. It would be a waste to disassemble a 40X unless it was from being worn out or damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40X is by far much better than any of the 700s. 40X trigger is much smoother. Already squared and bedded. Guaranteed accuracy. Stainless steel action and barrel. I have a 40X and it compares to most custom rifles.

But if you are going to get a 40X, why not just keep it with the original stock? If you want you can get a DBM upgrade, and thread the barrel, otherwise there isn't much one needs to do to improve it. Plus, the rifle will hold it's value better unaltered.

So if you really are going to just change out the stock, then save your money and get a 5R or XCR instead. It would be a waste to disassemble a 40X unless it was from being worn out or damage. </div></div>

Thanks for the advice! What do you think of getting the 40X and then when it's time for re bedding (2000-3000 rounds) drop it into a AICS? I really hate having to pay for a re bed every year. Thats what really appeals to me about the AICS.

What about the Model 40-XB Tactical? How would that compare to a Model 40-XB KS? Looks the same to me. I prefer the black SS barrels.

Looks like a typo here: http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/40xb.htm

They show a 1 in 14 twist!