• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best stock or chassis for Kidd Supergrade?

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I’m toying with the idea of getting a Kidd Supergrade with the extra rear action screw. I’m not thrilled with the Magpul X-22 stock they offer. I’ve been thinking of the McMillan A5-22, but I’m not sure what other options I should look at. Thoughts?

I really like my SG in the Magpul stock, do be aware that you only have one chance to get the SG with the Magpul stock, and that is when you purchase a complete rifle from KIDD. They DO NOT OFFER the SG magpul stock (inletted for the tang and QC channels) as a separate item, only when you buy a rifle.

I also run a PMACA long nose chassis (which are now machined with the tang and QC channels) and a Victor company Titan stock (has the rear tang option on all stocks, you would have to drill your own QC hole for barrel removal).

The PMACA you put whatever AR pattern stock and grip you want on it, depending on the selection you might have thumb web bite if you select a rifle stock instead of carbine. I'd like for the receiver to sit 1/4" lower in the chassis for better ergonomics but it does ok as is. This is the stock I'll ususally select for NRL22 type competitions.

The Titan is probably the closest to the A5 with a pretty vertical grip area, but LOP is fixed length and cheek weld spacers are screwed on top of the stock comb, but they work. Of the 3, I don't use this one very often as it just seems heavier and less handy than the other 2.

Reactions: darth_ritis
    Not sure if it is the best mine sits in a titan, for the money its hard to beat.
    20190210_135400.jpg

Got it figured out boys. I didn't realize how Victor Company had solved this rear anchor stuff, until I discovered they have products available that aren't listed on the website product list. I was imagining the Kidd anchor and having no way to fit that in a Titan.

For everyone's benefit:

The Kidd anchor:
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/Kidd-Aftermarket-Receiver-Rear-Tang-Attachment_p_105.html
    thumbnail.asp

The Victor Company anchor:
    https://shop.victorcompanyusa.com/1-KIDD-COMPATIBLE-REAR-ANCHOR-FOR-TITAN-1022-Kidd-RA.htm
    1429833300060-1156023772.jpeg

Reactions: Trent A
    Correct. If you are going to put a Kidd receiver in a Victor Titan stock, do not order the Kidd rear tang. You need to order the rear tang from Victor.

Reactions: Trent A
    Got a question into Titan about selling me a stock that allows my Supergrade barrel removal like Magpul's stock does. The simple barrel removal is the main reason I bought the Supergrade and I'm not ready to give it up.

Definitely the Titan stock. I have 2. The are awesome. The rear anchor, front rail and cheek rest accessories make it hard ro beat. Reasonably priced and well made. All mine are dead center in barrel channel and lock up tight.
    I have one Ruger factory receiver build and one Kidd custom.

I too have the titan and very much like it. I am going to buy the wood finished ine when it become available. Would LOVE a titan stock predicted for the supergrade quick barrel removal. My next supergrade will likely be in the magpul bc of the ease if barrel change and bc Tony beds them.

Wish krg would get theirs out. And I have thought about a bell and carlson as I like their anschutz design. And love the red and black. But I think the second rear anchor is probably more important for accuracy

I’m not familiar with the quick change barrel option.

When you say “Tony beds then” who are you referring to?

I bought mine years ago and haven’t been following the rimfire stuff lately.

I wouldn’t mind hanging a wood version.

I have a laminated stock on my Ruger 77/17 HMR. I bedded it and added pillars. Clark custom barrel on that one. It’s a lazer at 100 yards.

I’m not familiar with the quick change barrel option.

When you say “Tony beds then” who are you referring to?

I bought mine years ago and haven’t been following the rimfire stuff lately.

I wouldn’t mind hanging a wood version.

I have a laminated stock on my Ruger 77/17 HMR. I bedded it and added pillars. Clark custom barrel on that one. It’s a lazer at 100 yards.
    'Tony' refers to Tony Kidd. Do a search on "Coolguysguns" and watch his video explaining the barrel changing/removal feature.

I too have the titan and very much like it. I am going to buy the wood finished ine when it become available. Would LOVE a titan stock predicted for the supergrade quick barrel removal. My next supergrade will likely be in the magpul bc of the ease if barrel change and bc Tony beds them.
    You said "predicted", have you heard Titan is building stocks, with the access ports for Kidd's SuperGrade barrel swap?

I didn't spell check sorry.
    No worries! I have a question into Titan on just that subject, (pre-drilled holes for Kidd's Super Grade) Probably a no-go but like the guy in the Dirty Harry movie....."I gots ta' know!"

I agree. I have supergrade and take mine out of the stock to change barrels. It would be awesome if he had his predrilled. And especially when the wood look comes out.

I agree. I have supergrade and take mine out of the stock to change barrels. It would be awesome if he had his predrilled. And especially when the wood look comes out.
    Betcha' if enough of us pester Michael at Titan, he'll consider it.

I like the chassis stock by Accurate Rifle Systems for the Kidd Supergrade.
    it’s available for the rear action screw.
    I went with this stock for my custom 10/22 clone build by Joe Chacon.

Attachments

• 1703EE8F-24C1-45A4-9425-7B62B3D8FC3E.jpeg
      1703EE8F-24C1-45A4-9425-7B62B3D8FC3E.jpeg
      165.7 KB · Views: 280
    I'm currently using the Victor for my Volquartsen VG-1 10/22 based rifle. I've been working with for a long time, but several features have given me issues. I found that the fore-end is just not stiff enough (despite my stiffening attempts with aluminum ribs and hard epoxy filler), the angled fore-end does not work well with an ARCA rail, the lack of a thumb shelf for my preferred hand position, and the lack of LOP spacers being available.

As a result, I'm really looking forward to the release of the KRG 10/22 Bravo. They're using the full aluminum back-bone for a nice stiff platform, all the optional chassis enhancements that come with their centerfire rifles (spigot mounts, ARCA rails, weight kits, etc), as well the great ergonomics and adjustability they're known for. Since I use KRG chassis' in other competition rifles, this will be a really nice chance for me to make my rifles all the same, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

If you're looking for a competition-ready chassis for a 10/22, and you want all the stiffness, adjustment and flexibility of a competition developed chassis, I think the 10/22 Bravo is going to be the ticket!

Attachments

• IMG_5448 - Copy.JPG
      IMG_5448 - Copy.JPG
      564.4 KB · Views: 120
    • IMG_5452 - Copy.JPG
      IMG_5452 - Copy.JPG
      716.4 KB · Views: 143
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Basher
    Nothing wrong with the KIDD stock. Clean, well bedded and no gimmicks.

I'd like to see some evidence proving how much more accurate Titan's stock is compared to what Kidd does to the Magpul on the Supergrade. Not just how much better the Titan "should" be 🤔

I'd like to see some evidence proving how much more accurate Titan's stock is compared to what Kidd does to the Magpul on the Supergrade. Not just how much better the Titan "should" be 🤔

I agree

I am also considering building a Kidd and this is the one place where I am still torn. Part of me says go with the titan. Love the looks and that it is made with the rear tang for the Kidd. But on the other hand a custom made and bedded Magpul sounds great. But is one really going to shoot better than the other or will it all come down to personal preference. One poster mentioned that you can only get the Magpul stock with the rear tang and bedded if you buy it when initially buying the rifle. So maybe go ahead and buy it initially then purchase a Titan to compare. But would love to see if anyone has done some of this testing already.

I am also considering building a Kidd and this is the one place where I am still torn. Part of me says go with the titan. Love the looks and that it is made with the rear tang for the Kidd. But on the other hand a custom made and bedded Magpul sounds great. But is one really going to shoot better than the other or will it all come down to personal preference. One poster mentioned that you can only get the Magpul stock with the rear tang and bedded if you buy it when initially buying the rifle. So maybe go ahead and buy it initially then purchase a Titan to compare. But would love to see if anyone has done some of this testing already.
    I was waiting for the Titan stock to be offered with Kidd's Supergrade '2- screw barrel removal feature' but gave up and ordered a Mele stock instead. I still have the Supergrade Magpul stock though. Who knows, for $ 600.00 I could put another rifle together for the Wife by buying a Supergrade Barreled Action. 🤔

I really hesitated between the complete supergrade with the Magpul stock, or buy the barreled action and get a Titan and rear tang separately.
    I don’t really need a milled stock for the quick barrel change. I clean after every range session and have to remove the action from the stock regardless to clean the bolt. After that I remove the barrel for ease of cleaning (that’s where the quick change barrel design is useful, even if I put the same barrel back).

I ended up going with the Titan because I felt it’s more rigid. No it’s not bedded, but it has the front aluminum block and rear tang. No you can’t remove the barrel without taking the action out of the stock, but I don’t care to change a barrel on the fly at the range.

I really hesitated between the complete supergrade with the Magpul stock, or buy the barreled action and get a Titan and rear tang separately.
    I don’t really need a milled stock for the quick barrel change. I clean after every range session and have to remove the action from the stock regardless to clean the bolt. After that I remove the barrel for ease of cleaning (that’s where the quick change barrel design is useful, even if I put the same barrel back).

I ended up going with the Titan because I felt it’s more rigid. No it’s not bedded, but it has the front aluminum block and rear tang. No you can’t remove the barrel without taking the action out of the stock, but I don’t care to change a barrel on the fly at the range.
    Yep, I gave all that up too. I'll just pull the action/barrel when I clean the rifle. Tony Mele was finishing up my stock last week, then it goes to Joe Chacon for bedding/ fitting. My Supergrade action/barrel is already with Joe. This is the rifle before ordering Mele's stock.Resized_20200818_165239.jpeg