• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Stock Type

Haggis

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2022
Essex
Hi I'm a newbie to rifles been a clay shooter 25 years. Wandered what people's thoughts on the pros and cons for the various stock types? I'm thinking about a Cz 455/457 or maybe a Begara BMR. Also I would need to lengthen the stock.

Reactions: obx22
Hi I'm a newbie to rifles been a clay shooter 25 years. Wandered what people's thoughts on the pros and cons for the various stock types? I'm thinking about a Cz 455/457 or maybe a Begara BMR. Also I would need to lengthen the stock.
Wood will always be the old standard. Cool to touch in summer, warm in winter.
Synthetic has its fans, you don’t have to baby it, and some can even be readily repaired without showing.
Alloy is unparalleled in rigidity, and some designs allow bolt-on accessories, configurable shapes, interchangeable grips, etc.
Hybrids and exotic materials/laminates, with resonance deadening materials, mini chassis skeletons and sub structures, they seek to combine the best of all types.
If you started with a Remington 700 style action, you could likely own a different stock configuration for every day of the year, and your opinion and use would be the best determining factor.

Reactions: Williwaw
Boyd is now making stock for all three. you can get to the length you want, or a get fully adjustable. If you are looking for a Chassis, most have adjustable length of pull. The 455 may be hard to find Chassis, due to the gun no longer being made, I know KRG dropped the Bravo for the 455. BMR may be too new for a Chassis. You can find anything for a 457.

I would do some research on the length of pull depending how much length you need. To me it's more about feel to the shooter, I would suggest handling the guns and stocks that are top on your list.

I've handled a 457 Lrp which was nice and is adjustable but out of my price range. The 457 Mtr is £300 cheaper but still a little bit out of my price range so have been looking at second hand 455s with fluted barrels and thumbhole laminate but I've not seen one as yet and wonder about lengthening a laminate stock

Each type will change depending on intended use.
PRS-MDT-ACC being aluminum, easy to add weight and other advantages. Open class.
Production class would be 457 MTR in the Monte Carlo stock.
Polymer/carbon fiber for just about anything.

Stock type (traditional, chassis, synthetic with internal mini-chassis) is a highly personal choice and will likely evolve with with your experience level. I personally prefer chassis. One of my best shooting buddies puts every rifle he has in Manners stocks with built-in mini-chassis. Others like traditional wood stocks, maybe bedded, but I've never seen one of those in PRS competition.

What do you intend to do with the rifle? Compete? Hunt? Etc.?

Keep in mind you'll need an optic for your rifle, and almost certainly a bipod and some sort of rear support.

I too came to precision rifle five years ago after decades of NSSA skeet competition. Different world. Rimfire is a little easier than centerfire simply because reloading isn't part of the environment (well, it can be... sort of... not going there at this point). Rimfire has evolved tremendously in the last few years, and PRS rimfire competitions routinely run to 400+ yards.

More information on your intended use might help guide the selection.

anyone making recommendations based on the OP is a fool

so much info missing to really give suggestions

note...your LOP is probably not as long as you think if you intend to compete in PRS type competitions

anyone making recommendations based on the OP is a fool

so much info missing to really give suggestions

note...your LOP is probably not as long as you think if you intend to compete in PRS type competitions
Hi

At the moment I'm a member of a small indoor club in the UK 🇬🇧 shooting @ 25 yards usually in the prone position but can be from a bench both using a bi pod. I plan to join another club which is outdoors with a maximum of 100m. My shotguns have a LOP of 15.25" so most rifles come up a little short and I struggle to get my head in thr right position to see through thr scope.

Hi

At the moment I'm a member of a small indoor club in the UK 🇬🇧 shooting @ 25 yards usually in the prone position but can be from a bench both using a bi pod. I plan to join another club which is outdoors with a maximum of 100m. My shotguns have a LOP of 15.25" so most rifles come up a little short and I struggle to get my head in thr right position to see through thr scope.
shotgun and rifle LOP is not the same

your positioning is very likely wrong

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I also have been a trap shooter for 25 plus years. My trap gun has a LOP of 15", or a bit more.

My PRS rifle( with the PVA barrel;)) and my new .22 both have a LOP of 14", or just a touch under.

As said above, two worlds that have nothing to do with one another!

In one the goal is to keep everything absolutley as still as possible through the trigger press, in the other the first thing you do is start moving the gun and it shouldn't stop until after the trigger press! Not to mention you are shooting at a moving target, fit requirements are different!