• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Sub-$1000 custom action?

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
This fall I plan to finally get into a custom built 700. I already have build plans worked out with GAP (24" 6CM), but I need an action. Since factory 700 actions have become unobtanium due to the recall, I want to start looking at custom actions. However, I want to stay under $1k for the action, since that would keep it within striking distance of the cost of a factory 700 stainless action plus truing and blueprinting.

I'm not familiar with too many of the custom actions out there except for the obvious Defiance and Surgeon offerings, which are out of my price range. So, where should I start?

Like RobertB stated. The Stiller Tac30 can be had for about 950. You can still get custom Remington 700 either true or barreled actions from many of the excellent smith's that frequent here on the hide

Stiller has come a long way in the tactical/precision rifle action game. I was very surprised recently when a gunsmith, whose opinion I respect highly, said Stiller Tac30 was on top of his recommended list of actions.

Stillers are a bit tight out of the box, require more than a few bolt-runs to not bind in the raceway - or my few have been that way.

I'm a huge fan of Tikka T3 actions, they have the features of a much more expensive rifle and the bolts are butter-smooth out of the box. For the money, buy a T3 rifle, toss the stock and rings in the trash, and carry on. They aren't 700 footprints, but all parts that need changing are now available (plastic bolt shroud, plastic bottom metal, etc.)

Stillers are good actions, my favorite 300WM is built on a Stiller, but Tikka is no slouch and I'd take a Tikka action over a Remington action any day (and the trigger group is actually good on the Tikka, no after-market needed.)

If I wasn't going completely top of the line I'd build a Tikka. It's like WAY better remington for the same cost.

Stillers are decent actions for sure but they have a tendency to be a little to tight in the dirt etc.

Im a sako trg nut so ill second the tikka action. Plus you can get the very nice whisky 3 chassis for it.

One additional note on Tikka T3 actions: they are all long action. Whether building a 223 or a 300WM, you get a long action. I don't mind, but some will not like this.

And the Whiskey 3 chassis is a great option, my last Tikka build is a 243AI in a Whiskey 3. It is a gen1 chassis, but they sent me a gen3 fore grip at no charge, called it "blemished", damn things looks pristine to me.

I run tikka and TRG both are top shelf . Got a stiller Spectre SA in route.

I think either will be a strong choice

Not really interested in a Tikka, and this build will be riding in an X-Ray. I already have one factory 700 and want to stick with the same overall platform, just nicer.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

I'm sure the tikka would be a great action. My only concern would be part availability. There will be new parts available, but few used part selections. Something to consider if you were trying to put together a rifle on a budget.

I'm sure the tikka would be a great action. My only concern would be part availability. There will be new parts available, but few used part selections. Something to consider if you were trying to put together a rifle on a budget.

This, and the fact that I already have a 700 are why I want to stick with that pattern. I might eventually get a T3, but not for this build.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

I never could stand the Remington action. Its pretty mediocre compared to its newer brethren. Yes, you can upgrade the hell out of it. And you sure need to.

As others have said, the Tikka is EXCELLENT. SO is just buying a Sig SSG 3000 and rebarreling it. Hell, the SSG 3k is almost the gun an AI is, at about $1300. It was as good as my Badger action.

The new polymer Sig stock is aluminum cored and very nice.

Stiller is a good action, I have been looking high and low for a tac 338. Really like the defiance just don't want the integral picatinny rail.

In the tactical world the shooter is the most important part. I have a friend that is top 5 in the mason dixon sniper series and he runs a dam near worn out savage 10 action. He does run high end barrels and a kahles scope but the action is a sloppy savage. I say sloppy because its seen so many rounds and so much dirt its hard to believe. If you must have the best and your already having gap do the work. I would save up the extra cash and go with there action. A guy in the black hat sniper course I attended made a 1050 yard cold bore hit using a gap built 6 creed. Was pretty impressive.

On the Remington 700 action, I've seen many "blueprint" the action, then not get that money out when selling it later. A 700 is a 700; put a few hundred dollars into sprucing it up, and you end with a 700 action.
If the $1k is a firm max, Stiller is about your best option. There are more than a few great actions available, but not for less than $1k.

If it were me and this were the dream gun build, I'd hold out a bit longer, save a bit more, and get the action you really want. As other have said, if GAP is doing the work, why not go all the way.

I've a few thousand rounds through my chromoly Pierce. Works just fine for me, so I bought another.

An issue with a lot of the 'less expensive' receivers is that you might not really save a buck after you get it up and running with a recoil lug, scope mount, etc.

Some repeating receivers like the Bat/Wolfe or Surgeon, might be stiffer with the integrated lug and picatinny comapred to a hogged out Rem 700. The integrated features is less stuff to loosen and go wrong later too.

Depends on what you're shopping for. Good luck

A little off the subject, but I saw several of you recommended the Tikka. If your were to slap one in that specially designed manners t4, would you trust the polymer "bottom metal" and mags for hard use?

I really like The Tikka , i like The Stiller to but i would choose tikka solely because if the integral rail.

I cannot see parts as a problem to Tikka as there is plenty availible.
The fact that all tikkas is long actions often good as scopes get longer and longer and more and more difficult to mount on short actions.

I want to start looking at custom actions. However, I want to stay under $1k for the action

Couple other options include the Kelbly Atlas actions and North West Precision recently ran a $750 action group buy that included a tapered base. Regular price appears to be $850, still well within budget.

-Rick

A little off the subject, but I saw several of you recommended the Tikka. If your were to slap one in that specially designed manners t4, would you trust the polymer "bottom metal" and mags for hard use?

In a pinch, while saving for better stuff, sure. In a finished rifle that would see hard use: no.

That said, I have a rifle still running original bottom plastic and original mags, mostly only as an experiment to see how long they last. They are on a 270 that weights maybe 8 pounds all-in and that rifle gets beat to hell, mags still run fine, bottom metal is still going.

In my experience, Tikka's bottom components are no more fragile than the crap Remington puts on their guns.

In a pinch, while saving for better stuff, sure. In a finished rifle that would see hard use: no.

That said, I have a rifle still running original bottom plastic and original mags, mostly only as an experiment to see how long they last. They are on a 270 that weights maybe 8 pounds all-in and that rifle gets beat to hell, mags still run fine, bottom metal is still going.

Ran mine that way for 2 years before swapping to CDI no issues and I am rough on my stuff

In my experience, Tikka's bottom components are no more fragile than the crap Remington puts on their guns.

Ran mine that way for 2 years no issues before going to CDI metal

If Gap is building the rifle why not a Templar action? Anyone know the price of one to help this guy out?

I would think the Templar action would be priced around 1350-1400.

Exactly. The Templars are nice, but well out of my price range.

I didn't realize Kelbly's had a steel action in the sub-1k range, so now I have another option on the list.

This isn't a "dream gun" for me, just an upgrade over the 308 I am currently slinging. I don't want to sacrifice my 308 to be a donor action (it will be kept as a hog and 'yote hammer), but I want to move to a better competition caliber to shoot matches with next year.

Not taking a serious look at the T3 action could be a mistake in my opinion. my experience has shown that they are very straight/true receivers and need little to no work done prior to barrel installation. That cannot be said at all for an R700. I am a Remington 700/M24 armorer and given the choice, I would take a Tikka each time for a custom build on a long action, unless the 700 was a smoking deal of some sorts.

Tikka just keeps getting better and better. I just wish they would import more options.

Not taking a serious look at the T3 action could be a mistake in my opinion. my experience has shown that they are very straight/true receivers and need little to no work done prior to barrel installation. That cannot be said at all for an R700. I am a Remington 700/M24 armorer and given the choice, I would take a Tikka each time for a custom build on a long action, unless the 700 was a smoking deal of some sorts.

Tikka just keeps getting better and better. I just wish they would import more options.

I am already familiar with the 700 manual of arms. The stock that my AAC-SD currently rides in (KRG X-Ray) will be moved to my 6CM build. I also already have short action AI mags, and do not want to have to rebuy long action mags and a new X-Ray to use a T3 action.

I might eventually get a T3 setup, but it's not happening for this build.

Stiller Predator if your building a hunting rig or TAC 30 on a Tactical. I have the Predator on my hunting rig and its extremely smooth, Cerakoted the action but not the bolt and have had no binding of any kind.

I will tell you all for a fact without question the kelbly atlas is as good and even better than any other rem 700 clone action on the market. Not all custom rem clone actions are straight and true. Under 1000$ probably means it was cut before heat treat??? I know for fact at least this is the case for one of the under 1000$ actions on the market. In real life, this probably means nothing, but true none the less. The Kelbly atlas is right around 1000 depending on options and they are cut after heat treat. The kelbly atlas holds the same standards and tolerances as there flagship action, the panda. The atlas is the clear winner to this question!!!!

Stryker Ridge HTR $1,040
Made By Defiance Machine. Well worth the money. I am using the same action on my custom build. The quality is there. 416R action with one price 4130 Chromoly bolt with pinned recoil lug.