• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Best sub $500.00 scope?

viper498

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2010
I am currently waiting on my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, and will be buying badger ordinance base and rings, but I still need to select a scope.

I want to learn how to use a mil-dot scope, so obviously that's a feature I would want... I've researched a few brands such as Falcon Optics, and Weaver... But I really don't know what to get. I don't have $1600 or more to spend on a Nightforce or comparable, so I was hoping someone could give me some advice and point me in the right direction on a "value" scope. Any help would be appreciated. I'd prefer to be in the $300 - $500 range.. I still need to buy a different stock, and tactical bolt knob. Cha-Ching!

Re: Best sub $500.00 scope?

Any particular one? 14x or move up to the 25x's?

I have both. If I had to have one it'd be the 5-25

Some research using the search function would glean you much info.

So far all the criteria you posed was a pricepoint and a reticle. If you are upgrading down the line, or not buying new I;d go with the old SWFA SS line.

Falcons are all cool-FFP and mil/mil (I have one and do like it), but the SS's in 10X or 16X have been go to starter and backup scopes for years! I have more trust in the SWFA product after having both.

super sniper all the way for low price mil/mil scope, you can always upgrade later.

Hawke Tactical 30 would definately be something to consider. There is a group buy going on for this scope, as well as SWFA has this line. From all accounts, it seems to be a very well liked and valued purchase.

DK

Super Sniper seems to be a strong contender at that price point. Also many positive comments from users.

Falcon menace!!! I have a 4-14 and couldn't be happier! the only think I wish they could improve would be to add zero locks. Other than that the scope is awesome IMO!

super sniper, which ever type u like. all the feature laden budget scopes ive tried have failed within a year

Thanks to all of you guys for your help and advice on this matter... Especially considering I'm a newbie. Thanks again!!!

On a separate note, are badger ordinance base and rings really necessary for a non-pro like me? What base and rings would you all recommend I go with? I'd at least like to have all steel for both the rings and the base... Again, any recommendations that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

B,
As a fellow newbie.. You probably do not need badger rings, but don't get the really cheap ones either. Burris makes a decent middle of the road ring for about $60.

I have seen a 20 MOA rail for a similar price but I forget who makes it. I went with the badger base when I upgraded because I can always move it to a different rifle if need be. Leupold has their own rail which costs about $100, a little cheaper than badger.

Initially I had just the cheap leupold rings and base on my rifle. During my last trip to the range, the windage screws on the base loosened and my groups suddenly shifted right. That was when I dropped the money into a better mounting setup. Haven't had a chance to try them yet.

But, that is the opinion of a fellow newbie, lets see what the old salts have to say.

ETA: Thanks for starting this thread, I started one asking a very similar question to yours earlier today. The answers you have been getting have helped me as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillerB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a separate note, are badger ordinance base and rings really necessary for a non-pro like me?</div></div>

Skill level has little to do with base and ring selection. If you are serious about the sport, getting a cheap base and rings is a waste of money.

I suggest Seekins Precision 20 MOA base and rings. They are higher quality than the Badgers and in most cases cheaper too.

I have not been impressed with the EGW base I have. It's sufficient for the .22LR 40XB I have it on, but I would not install one on a hard use .308 or larger.

I second going ahead and spending the extra for nice rings and a base. Rings and a base aren't where you want to skimp. Also, I has a standard super sniper for a while and really liked it.

Warne rings are very good for the price. +1 on the vortex, glass is much better than all the super snipers I have owned (10x,16x, and 20x).

I just bought that rifle. It's very very sweet I'd say.
Those reviews I read about the trigger sucking evidently don't know what they are talking about.

I paid $635 total including shipping and transfer. A bargain in my book. Not to mention the factory threaded barrel for those of us with suppressors.

Take a look at the nikon buckmaster scopes. I shoot their 3-9x40 with the bdc out to 500 meters regularly and the BDC is spot on for every range out to that. Can't be beat for less than 200 bucks.

I went with seekins rings and base for the AAC-SD

just put a WOTAC 4-14x50 on my 700 SPS and it is great for the money!

Speaking of rings, has anyone tried these yet?

TPS Products Rings

They come in steel and aluminum varieties and are US made. If they prove reliable, they would seem to be a good value.

Yea the WOTAC I decided to buy for the wife's and my rifle has went down twice. I am thinking of going for either a Falcon 5-25 or for a Vortex Viper 6-24. Can't make up my mind on which one I am going to go with. Will need 2 of whatever for ease of use with both rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillerB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a separate note, are badger ordinance base and rings really necessary for a non-pro like me?</div></div>

Skill level has little to do with base and ring selection. If you are serious about the sport, getting a cheap base and rings is a waste of money.

I suggest Seekins Precision 20 MOA base and rings. They are higher quality than the Badgers and in most cases cheaper too.

I have not been impressed with the EGW base I have. It's sufficient for the .22LR 40XB I have it on, but I would not install one on a hard use .308 or larger. </div></div>

I would go with the Seekins also,they are Alloy but plenty strong.My rifles get plenty wet where I use them and it is one less thing to worry about rusting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of rings, has anyone tried these yet?

TPS Products Rings

They come in steel and aluminum varieties and are US made. If they prove reliable, they would seem to be a good value. </div></div>

i just got a set of TPS low rings and they seem very nice... no complaints... way better than the burris XTRs that i had

to the OP.. dont buy badger rings or seekings.. get yourself a EGW base and TPS rings.. youve spent $100 at that point and your ready to go shoot. Dont spend an additional 200 on rings and base and then have to downgrade your glass

yes seekings and badger etc make nice rings and bases... but for the average joe range queen they are unnecessary and a waste of money.. once youve got a nice piece of glass for the rifle, then go for nice rings..

bill

Ken Farrel base with TPS rings. looking at spending about $180 or so I believe for both, well worth getting steel/steel. It was my dilemma as well. These are probably the best values on the market and the base is available with or without 20 MOA cant.

Why spend your money once. If you have accurancy problems later, you won't be blaming your "cheap" setup and wonder if you have to replace/upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of rings, has anyone tried these yet?

TPS Products Rings

They come in steel and aluminum varieties and are US made. If they prove reliable, they would seem to be a good value. </div></div>

I use TPS rings a lot. They are pretty good, but I did get one pair that just isn't right. I would probably recommend lapping them if you go this route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Youngjoonni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend your money once. If you have accurancy problems later, you won't be blaming your "cheap" setup and wonder if you have to replace/upgrade. </div></div>

Mine shoots half moa and better. With middle of the road rings. Don't use tasco walmart rings, but middle of the road rings like Tps are more than adequate for most shooters

I really like Burris Fullfield II Tac. I have the 6.5-20 and new was 450 I think...

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fftactical.html

I have it on my 22-250 for varmits and it is great and the green is fun. I also have burris rings. Great Middle of the road I think. I really like the bushing spacers. You can also buy different size ones to "zero" the scope without adjusting the knobs. and they never scratch ur scope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360235821972&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Top Gun.
2jaxqau.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the EGW 20 moa Base and burris rings with a 10x Super Sniper and call it a day. </div></div>

You won't be disappointed with that!

Does anyone know where he can pick up an SWFA Super Sniper at the best price? I've been looking and it looks as if buying direct is the only way to go as no one discounts them that i have found. Also, I am 100% behind the statement about not buying cheap gear. My brother-in-law is a deputy and he constantly wants to buy "cheap gear for now" and I keep hammering it into him that cheap gear often produces cheap results. Although I have not used a SWFA Super Sniper I have heard that it is a good quality scope and that they don't loose much value as time goes. As for quality mounts and rings, go to Brownells and Midway and get your Badger rings and bases there. My advice is also to apply for your C&R FFL. It is easy and gets you dealer status at Brownells and Midway which saves you on the gear you will be using. I hope that I helped a little.
Semper Fi,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where he can pick up an SWFA Super Sniper at the best price?
</div></div>

Second this question. After reading this thread and doing some more research, I am very intrigued by the SS line.

I believe the Super Sniper line is exclusive to SWFA, unless you buy used. SWFA has sample and "used" items for sale at samplelist.com.

www.samplelist.com for demo and/or lightly used Super Sniper scopes or try Ebay and the classifieds of gun boards. I managed to pick up a 20x SS for about $180 several months back. The SS 3-9x42 FFP scope is fairly new so I doubt you'll be seeing those used anywhere just yet.

samplelist or go to riverofguns.com and search for super sniper. It searches multiple forums and boards and I have found some good deals by using it (bushy 10x40 for $125 shipped, SS 10x40 for $200, etc).

It is probably a price bracket or two low, but I have been really impressed with the Bushnell Mil/Mil 10x40. It has decent glass, tracks very consistently, has a substantial amount of elevation adjustment, and total reliability in the perpetual Washington damp so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously KillerB, get your C&R FFL so you can get dealer pricing and be able to buy better gear faster. </div></div>

Does SWFA sell at a discount for C&R FFL holders?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Denny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.samplelist.com for demo and/or lightly used Super Sniper scopes or try Ebay and the classifieds of gun boards. I managed to pick up a 20x SS for about $180 several months back. The SS 3-9x42 FFP scope is fairly new so I doubt you'll be seeing those used anywhere just yet. </div></div>

There have been quite a few SS 3-9's used on here. I just sold one.

This forum is great. I have information overload. Its hard to find forums where people actually offer advice. Its been extremely helpful so far.

Here is what I think I am going to settle on:

Falcon Optics Menace 4-14x44 scope
LaRue Tactical base
TSR W 30mm rings

What do you all think?

@ Bear Tactical - How hard is it to get an C&R FFL?

I just picked up a Falcon 5-25x56 in the optics sales forum. They offer a lot of features for short money, which is a little scary but I'm rolling with it.

I'm running Badger base and rings on one of my guns and an EGW with Burris Xtremes on the other.

SWFA doesn't sell at a discount to anyone that I know of. I have a C&R as well as an 01 FFL and they won't budge.

It is very easy to get your C&R FFL. Just go to the ATF web site and requst a packet. You can also call your local ATF branch and they will help. Then you fill out the paperwork and then send it off. In about 2-6 weeks you should have your C&R FFL. I think that it cost me $30 for three years. I found a link with some good informatin on obtaining your FFL. If you have any other questions you could always PM me as I am always willing to help Sniper Hide members when I can.

http://members.cox.net/cruffler/ffl.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA doesn't sell at a discount to anyone that I know of. I have a C&R as well as an 01 FFL and they won't budge. </div></div>

People you need look no further than the Hide for a discount on the Super Sniper 3-9 or 10X HD. There has been a 10% code running prominently for months. Code is SSHIDE I believe. Great scopes and I'm not going to add "for the money". They would be great scopes if they were priced higher. I've got two of them and have had no problems. Check out Lowlights review http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1483763&page=1
[img
img

The code doesn't work. I tried to use it and even called and the woman at SWFA stated that the code is invalid.