• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best suppressor for 22 and 17hmr

Axel314

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
looking for the best can out on the market currently for up 2 17hmr/17wsm. Appreciate yalls input with actual experience

looking for the best can out on the market currently for up 2 17hmr/17wsm. Appreciate yalls input with actual experience
Back when I was looking I was set on a Dead Air Mask. Rated up to 22 Hornet and 17WSM. My dealer had used a few and really liked them. Couldn't get it in stock at the time though so I went with a Liberty Regulator. Both highly recommend, but the Regulator isn't rated up to 17WSM as you want, only 17HMR.

I’m using the Dead Air Mask and it is real quiet on everything. All of my barrels are between 16”-16.5” so the length when assembled isn’t too long.

If you can find a thunderbeast 22TD in stock, get that and never look back. Really quiets down 17hmr and 22lr is just stupid quiet.

Tactical Solutions Axiom has served me well for .17M2 .17HMR and .22LR. For approximately 10K rounds.

Rugged Oculus for me.
I don’t think you will have issues with any of the better brands. The short configuration on a rifle is really sweet with the Oculus.

I used a Spectre2 on a WSM. Works fantastic. It'll even work on a 22/17Hornet. It was my 1st suppressor. I have a Crux 6.5 Saxon in the paper wait now also. Whatever you do, get a serviceable can for rim fires. They are crazy dirty.

Reactions: STex
I bought my SWR Spectre2 many years ago because it was full SS and built like a tank. Ive used it on 22short, 22lr, 22wmr, 22tcm, 17hm2, 17hmr, 17wsm, 17hornet.

Very effective on all. Hold tight to barrel. Easy to clean and no 1st round pop.

All i can recommend in a rimfire can is buy the toughest and easiest to clean one you can afford. Itll get more use than your centerfire can ever will.

Reactions: STex and melglass
SiCo Switchback. Multiple configurations and when you run the forward baffle stack in reverse, voodoo happens and it gets quieter.

Another vote for the dead air mask, i have 2 and looking to buy a third one. You won’t be disapointed.

Reactions: USNavy06
Another vote for the dead air mask, i have 2 and looking to buy a third one. You won’t be disapointed.
Did you have a chance to compare it with a Rugged Obsidian? The one thing that sucks when it comes to NFA is being able to try before the buy. I think both are top tier. Rugged happens to be local to me which is kinda cool.

Did you have a chance to compare it with a Rugged Obsidian? The one thing that sucks when it comes to NFA is being able to try before the buy. I think both are top tier. Rugged happens to be local to me which is kinda cool.
No, only shot mine next to a buddies sig srd22x and the silencerco osprey ( I think it was the micro ) all agreed my dead air was quieter and did not change the poi on any of the rifles we tried it on. The sig was the loudest to all of our ears.

No, only shot mine next to a buddies sig srd22x and the silencerco osprey ( I think it was the micro ) all agreed my dead air was quieter and did not change the poi on any of the rifles we tried it on. The sig was the loudest to all of our ears.
Give it a try I don’t think you will be disappointed especially having two of the dead air setups.
A lot of people think the Rugged modular design is just a gimmick but it’s useful Imo.

Reactions: Pre-64
Most of the quality steel/titanium rimfire cans are pretty close in sound performance. What you get with the Dead Air Mask is in my opinion the quietest out there currently (I have tested over a dozen rimfire cans). The best thing in my opinion about the Mask is how easily it is to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, you will be doing this A LOT! Nothing to snap together or line up and get just right, you simply stack up the baffles rotate them till the keys fall in place and you can not put it together wrong ever!

Stay away from aluminum rim fire cans. An aluminum tube is fine, but no aluminum on baffles or mono cores.