• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best suppressor for .308

HawkDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Southeast Ohio
I'm sure that there is a thread somewhere but I couldn't find it with a search so if someone could redirect me, it would be appreciated. My question is, what is the best suppressor for a Remmington 700 TWS and what makes one suppressor better than the next?

Re: Best suppressor for .308

it depends on YOUR ear...perceived sound is more important than measurable sound.

personally I like the AAC 762SD-N6...it flips between multiple hosts easy enough and POI has not been a pain to tune.

I've been looking at Thunder Beast too and I'm not sure what makes one better than the other. The only differences that I can see is mounting and material. My barrel hasn't been to the smith yet to get threaded. Is threaded better? If not where can I get the barrel set up for the best mounting option? Can someone explain some I the different mounting options for that matter? I understand threading but that's about it.

A thunderbeast is made with accuracy as its top priority and is also very quiet. The different methods of attachment are threaded and quick connect. You still get your barrel threaded and then use the company's muzzle break. The can then quickly attaches to this break. If you want accuracy I would look at a direct thread thunderbeast.

Accuracy is what I'm looking for, well quiet also or I obviously wouldn't be talking about suppressors lol.

I have only shot my thunderbeast but from what I have read here you won't really notice a difference sound wise between any of the quality suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is what I'm looking for, well quiet also or I obviously wouldn't be talking about suppressors lol. </div></div>

What other hosts would you be using this on. If this will only be used on bolt action rifles or slow rate of fire semi-autos, I would vote for one of the precision thread on cans. Otherwise the SDN-6 or YHM Phantom (Ti or SS) would be a good choice for ar-15s that will see lots of use.

I have a thread on 308 can from STW that I use on both my rem 700 and my OBR that I am very pleased with.

I'm just going to be using it on my 700. I'll probably never take it off other than cleaning it.

Another vote for Thunderbeast.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

look up mack brothers varmiter 2.0. innovative design, and there has been some interesting testing done (with a qd model they sell) on poi shift from on to off and back again. give them a call

I'm really liking the TBAC 30P. I know you get what you pay for in most cases but it looks like the price is well below what it should be. I should probably get one soon, hard to tell what kind of legislation is going to be coming down the turnpike.

I have the Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62. I have the qd flash hider on my two bolt guns, AR10, and my AR15, which allows me to use it on all four guns. I know you mentioned using it only on your 700 now, but it's always good to have options for the future. Might be worth a look.

I'm going to stick with pistols and bolt guns for me personally. I'm not much into carbines, the army has taken all of the fun out of shooting carbines lol. I dread pulling them apart and cleaning them.

Running an Ops Inc 3rd Model on my 308 and 300wm. Run a 12th Model on my MK12 & M4 clones. Noise levels and recoil levels are GREAT. Accuracy is also exceptional and the POI shift is only an issue at longer range (>500yds). I just end up running them "canned" all the time.

I have the Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62 SS QD. I replaced the flash hider or brake on my bolt rifles, GAP10, 5.56 and 6.8 ARs with their QD equivalents. I can use the one suppressor for all quick and easy. Also of note is their QD brake works GREAT as a brake.

I'm currently running a Gemtech Sandstorm with pretty good luck.

Take a look at our cans, 100% titanium and among the lightest if not the lightest magnum rated cans on the market. Extremely high precision and our Archangel is VERY quiet. If you want something shorter and slightly even lighter without sacrificing much sound suppression our ARK30 is amazing! Most people can barely tell the difference in sound between the two on a 300WM! I have become preferential to the ARK30. Either way good luck with making your decision! Once you own one Can you won't want to shoot anything without one!

Not only look at a certain model, but look at who makes it. I like AAC, They have provided me great service when I screwed up my cyclone can. I have an AAC cylcone, 762sd, Gemtech sandstorm, and Thunderbeast 338 can. Shark also makes a great 30 cal can. Try and get with some guys close to you and see if they will let you shoot differant cans. You need to decide if you want a steel can or ti. can. Another big choice is your local dealer. If you can find one that is rated high in stock you can cut the waiting time WAY down. Go to a suppressor shoot they have around a couple of times a year. Spend a few bucks and join supressor research.com. John Titsworth tests alot of supressors and video records them and makes a very handy chart. Money well spent for newbie's.

Steel is better for full auto and less expensive.

I choose Ti as I won't be doing FA and it is much lighter.

There are a LOT of Thunderbeast fans here and with good reason as they make a great can with great customer service. I will however point out that Surefire also makes a great can. It really depends on how much you want a QD model. Surefire IMO makes the best QD models out there with almost no POI shift which makes swapping between different platforms awesome. I prefer SF, but if someone gave be a TB I definitely wouldn't complain, lol. Either way I would look mostly at SF or TB as top tier choices. They're also both rated up to a 300WM, so if you decide to change platforms in the future you'll be good to go.

I run a shark suppressor and love it. Light and u can take it apart. Check him out

In our group we have TBACs, Gemtechs and SRTs everyone researched and went their own direction on suppressors and class 3 agents. Accuracy wise they all run well. But the general agreement is for the best accuracy and noise control, Thunder Beast is on top of the list and this is what we suggest as a go to can for other folks wanting to shoot suppressed.

Guns we run suppressed, 338LM, 260s, 6.5x47s, 223s

oneshot.onehit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a LOT of Thunderbeast fans here and with good reason as they make a great can with great customer service. I will however point out that Surefire also makes a great can. It really depends on how much you want a QD model. Surefire IMO makes the best QD models out there with almost no POI shift which makes swapping between different platforms awesome. I prefer SF, but if someone gave be a TB I definitely wouldn't complain, lol. Either way I would look mostly at SF or TB as top tier choices. They're also both rated up to a 300WM, so if you decide to change platforms in the future you'll be good to go.</div></div>

Surefire makes excellent suppressors. they are about $500 more than the TBAC 30BA. really can't go wrong with either just depends on how much you want to spend.

I've pretty much counted Gemtech out at this point. I feel like ThunderBeast 30P-1 is what I want. I haven't heard anything bad about them ever. On a side note, does having a trust speed up the Form 4 process? I'm wondering because that may change my decision on when I buy a suppressor. I'll be graduating Flight school in late Feb. and heading back to Ohio an I don't want to make a special trip back to Ft. Rucker just to make a pick up from my class 3 guy down here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've pretty much counted Gemtech out at this point. I feel like ThunderBeast 30P-1 is what I want. I haven't heard anything bad about them ever. On a side note, does having a trust speed up the Form 4 process? I'm wondering because that may change my decision on when I buy a suppressor. I'll be graduating Flight school in late Feb. and heading back to Ohio an I don't want to make a special trip back to Ft. Rucker just to make a pick up from my class 3 guy down here. </div></div>

It doesn't speed up the process with the ATF but it prevents you from having to deal with getting fingerprinted and having an LEO approval signature, which many are reluctant to provide.

There's about a 98% chance that no matter which way you go about it, that you will not have your stamp back by late Febuary if you buy now.

And no, a trust doesn't necessarily speed up or slow down the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's about a 98% chance that no matter which way you go about it, that you will not have your stamp back by late Febuary if you buy now.

And no, a trust doesn't necessarily speed up or slow down the process.</div></div>

That's what I thought but not exactly what I wanted to hear...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I thought but not exactly what I wanted to hear... </div></div>

I know the feeling! I think it's best to buy the can, get the paperwork sent in, check your bank account about a week and a half later to make sure the check got cashed, call the NFA branch about 3 weeks after that to make sure it went pending and then forget about it for about 5 months.

The process sucks ass no doubt, but it's so sweet once you get to take them home.

I Just talked to some guys on post that just got their stamps back and theirs only took 3 months. I'm not sure if being military had anything to do with it or not. Maybe their examiner just liked them...

I like the size of the Willson Whisper and the Brevis by Delta P.

I've been wanting a 30p-1 for a while now. That would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for Thunderbeast.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I've been shooting suppressed 308's for over a decade including most major brands, and I'm not a huge fan of this vid as it's deceptively quiet. You can hear grasshoppers hopping, and butterfly wings fluttering, and his nose hair whistling, but with a supersonic load you can barely hear it? C'mon.

The super-sonic crack WAAAAAY more pronounced in just about any standard load with all the cans out there I've shot... I hope people that have never shot a supressed .308 see this and plunk down cash thinking it will be this quiet.

TBAC 30BA for max flexibility. They have numerous breaks to accomdate various threading run mine 5.56,308,300BO and 7mm rem mag with great results

I just got a dealer demo 30P-1 in from TBAC. It is an extremely well made item. The finish was great and the machine work was well executed. I found the very slight POI shift was repeatable. The few days of using it at the range have already sold some more TBAC's to those who saw us using it.

I also have and like AAC, YHM, and Surefire cans for other applications, but for me I think I'll stick with the TBACs on my bolt action rifles.

Here is the can on my dad's Barnard actioned .260 Rem.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jOG09EF_Y1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've been shooting suppressed 308's for over a decade including most major brands, and I'm not a huge fan of this vid as it's deceptively quiet. You can hear grasshoppers hopping, and butterfly wings fluttering, and his nose hair whistling, but with a supersonic load you can barely hear it? C'mon.

The super-sonic crack WAAAAAY more pronounced in just about any standard load with all the cans out there I've shot... I hope people that have never shot a supressed .308 see this and plunk down cash thinking it will be this quiet.

</div></div>

I hear ya i think this is a little more representative of the sonic crack produced by a suppressor. Go to 3:50 to hear the shot.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNAncB3tYKU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNAncB3tYKU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Looking at the two videos I would say I had the camera (iPhone) a lot closer to me than the guy did in the other video. Also I was shooting in a canyon and he was in an open field. Video isn't the best representation of suppression.

I have looked around and done some searching but cant really find any good concrete answer to how loud a normal suppressed 308 is. I have a 7 wsm and it is super loud. I would like to get a suppressor for it and a future 308 build. Just how load would it be on either. Quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection? Would it be about like a 22lr unsuppressed or... ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for Thunderbeast.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

If you're posting that to demonstrate what viewers can expect out of a supersonic .308, you've obviously never shot a suppressed weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for Thunderbeast.

If you're posting that to demonstrate what viewers can expect out of a supersonic .308, you've obviously never shot a suppressed weapon.</div></div>

Yeah I agree that the video is very misleading as to real world results. That camera must have a shitty mic or something cause you can barely tell the difference between the subs and full power loads.