• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best survival knife for under $200??

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Looking for a all around knife. I would prefer a blade length in the 6-7" range. So far i have looked at the Ontario RAT-7, SOG Seal Team, RAT Cutlery RC-6, Becker 7 and Cold Steel SRK. The more i read the more confused i am:) Money is really not an object. I would prefer a $200 knife that per say is a "10" than a $70 knife that is an 8/10. All inputs appreciated.

Re: Best survival knife for under $200??

i have a SOG seal knife 2000 and it has been perfect for me, last hunting season i got my elk and forgot the bone saw for the pelvis, but i did have my seal knife and a handyman jack, got a groove started and beat the piss out of my seal knife and eventually broke through, and the knife is still 100% fine, sharp as hell too. i would go this way IMHO.

Stick with the RAT in 1095 plain carbon steel is your friend for survival.Easy to sharpen which you will be doing alot and can accomplish with common flat stones if needed.The super steels require diamond stones which are few and far between in nature.If given the option a small hatchet and a 3-4" knife is mo better.

I use a Benchmade fixed Presidio

it has served me well for a few years now

Benchmade
url]

I carried a SOG SEAL 2000 as a Survival Instructor. I was initially leery of the point, but I didn't baby it and had no issues with it breaking off. It butchered a goat and some chickens, built traps, dug holes and chopped firewood.

The only drawbacks are that the handle is so aggressively checkered that it will eat your hand up if you chop without gloves.

I would not use it for tip prying or digging (although I did). It holds an edge well, and resharpens quickly.

100_2127.jpg

100_2126.jpg

I've just gone out and got a Gerber LMFII (probably a little on the short side for you) and a Gerber Silver Trident Double Edge.

Both meet my criteria for a survival knife (prepping game, building shelter, all-round tool). The LMFII sheath has a built in sharpener and the handle has three holes so you can securely lash it to a pole for spear-fishing or defense.

I've also got a Buck Nighthawk which is a nice knife but lacks a serrated edge (I used to carry this with a Bahco Laplander folding saw to make up for this).

Now I'm getting older/lazier I'd rather have a single tool for the job.

All these should be well under your $200.00 limit.

Before the Nighthawk and Laplander I used an AK47 Bayonet....certainly nothing fancy, built to last, it cost peanuts but did the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far i have looked at the Ontario RAT-7, SOG Seal Team, RAT Cutlery RC-6, Becker 7 and Cold Steel SRK.</div></div>
So far I have tested all of the above except the SOG. All will do a good job of being a strong and reliable survival knife. With that being said, just find the one that feels best in YOUR hand.

Consider the Ontario TAK with the D2 blade. I have the 1095 steel model and love it and have heard great things about the D2 model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carried a SOG SEAL 2000 as a Survival Instructor. I was initially leery of the point, but I didn't baby it and had no issues with it breaking off. It butchered a goat and some chickens, built traps, dug holes and chopped firewood.

The only drawbacks are that the handle is so aggressively checkered that it will eat your hand up if you chop without gloves.

I would not use it for tip prying or digging (although I did). It holds an edge well, and resharpens quickly.

100_2127.jpg

100_2126.jpg
</div></div>

Fantastic knife!!!! I have a lot of knives and this one is really tough. For the price it is hard to beat.

I've been through the sheath knife phases for probably over 50 years now, starting back when I was a Second Class Scout.

I don't carry sheath knives anymore. My right trouser pocket always (except on restricted real estate, like Departure Lounges and VA health Care Facilities) contains an inexpensive multitool and a Kobalt two bladed folder, with a beefy serrated 3-4" lockback blade, and a lockback that accommodates standard utility knife blades. There's also a small snap-link-like hanger.

Since back when I was trained to be a woods tools instructor, I learned and now teach that massive knives aren't necessarily either mandatory or advantageous. They tend to do more for the ego than for the task at hand. Lug 'em around if you feel you must, but the stuff like my knife gets more of the job done, and are easily and cheaply replaced whenever such things become advantageous. Mass? Sure, I use a wooden mallet, handcrafted on the spot, to tap and drive my serrated blade through the tough work. The utility blade is so finely dexterous, it carved over a half dozen neckerchief slides in three days during a rainy patch during Trek a few Treks back.

As a fighting knife, both blades extended, serrated blade pointing out past the heel of the hand, and the utility slasher sticking out the thumb end, I don't feel diminutively heeled in the least.

My (mostly imaginary) knife fighting style is loosely modeled on boxing technique, with the passing slash to augment it. Other times, I mentally envision employing the fighting knife in the same manner as a Shoto (or Japanese short sword) is wielded.

I don't do demos; I treat the fool to his surprise when he earns it.

Outwardly I am a mild and gentle person, and when I shake a man's hand and look him in the eye, if he's a stranger who comes without a positive into, I will sometimes actually run mental scenarios about how I would respond to his potential hostility; all with softly lidded eyes and a benign faint smile on my lips.

I am never disarmed; it's all just a question of what constitutes a weapon and how well one is prepared to wield it with effectiveness.

Of those I know, I am the least capable of aggression or conquest; and the day I lose that humility is the day I become truly vulnerable.

Greg

Greg the reason I like fixed blades is not so much doing what you SHOULD be doing with a knife as when you are doing what you SHOULDN'T be doing.

I have yet to see a folder that can take the same amount of punishment that a full-tang fixed blade can.

Sure you can get the job done with a folder, but I will always prefer a smaller fixed blade. I used to be in the habit of carrying a couple scalpel blades taped in between my dog tags (still sealed in the package). You want to talk about a blade with versatility!

Now I am looking at picking up a Cold Steel SRK (old Carbon V version). I also like the look of the RAT knives. My son is starting to get into camping and I have begun to teach him outdoors survival bit by bit. Right now he uses a cheap Buck folder, but in a year or two it will be time to get him a fixed blade.

I like the Beckers; I've got a BK-7 and a Tac-tool, both from the recent K-Bar production.

-Wolf- your point is good. I think it's just a matter of all those years I spent hammering my consciousness into the 'right tool for the job' mindset that just sets me up for the mental disconnect over 'doing what you shouldn't be doing'. It simply never occurs to me... LOL!

Greg

Hunger, sleep deprivation and stress make you do interesting things to your "tools".
wink.gif

Although I will admit that my little Microtech mini-SOCOM will handle most survival chores aside from chopping firewood.

You can chop wood with that Ontario, or pound it into wood to be the last step you need to get into your treestand, if your targets are not just paper and steel. But my advice would be to rank your top 3 and then purchase all of them. Rather than have a favorite, I simply try to have a knife nearby no matter what the situation. Weather dependant, a firestarter can come in handy, but in survival situations a good knife is a must. I have found some really good deals buying the higher priced ones from people on Ebay. Thus far, their idea of moderate use looks like "very new" condition to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a "tactical" Kilt? </div></div>

Utilikilt, the big step to FREEDOM from ball squishing shorts or trousers. ONly real men need apply because when ye wear it ya let the bits and pieces be free of any cloth. Panty 6 says she hates washing it because it always stinks like 'ass' since I won't let her wash it for a week or two at a time during the summer
grin.gif

Thanks for all the replies guys. Since my original post i have done extensive research and have even upped my max price to $500. Now i am really split. Here are my top choices

1) Busse HOG FSH $500
2) Fehrman First Strike $280
3) RAT RC-6 (which they had a 7" one) $120
4) Scrap Yard SOD $200

Decisions, decisions.....

I'm waiting for my new Tops Black Eagle Strike Team to arrive.

I just picked up a Sog Northwest Ranger and it's a pretty good knife. I liked my old seal pup, I wanted something more grippy in the handle. I also have a Kabar D2 that I beat the crap out of overseas and it held up just fine.

I'm oldfashioned I guess, I've got a Buck folding 4" pocket knife and a Buck 184 (Buckmaster) both are VERY fine knives.

But buck also made a generic line of knives that does OK as well - hold a VERY sharp edge...

I'm not a connoisseur of knives like a lot of people are but I have a Gerber LMF that I like the looks and feel of. Something else to look at anyway...
gb1400.jpg

FWIW: I see a lot of people who buy very expensive knives and then never use them because they are high dollar. At least with my Gerber I can smash it up and get a new one for less than $100

1095 is a great steel for abuse, two things come into play here, some knives are great cutters, take a great edge and hold it but they end up being "brittle" and are not good for "abuse" say chopping or prying.

Many of the cheaper 1095 knives give up some edge durability and sharpness retention but they will take a ton of chopping/prying without damage.

There's a huge split in the market here. Some of the knives like the Reeves have amazing edges, chop okay, but are not a knife to pry a door open with. I mention Reeve because they have taken some abuse from some reviews where their fixed blades did not stand up to heavy abuse. Others will take tons of abuse, but their slicing edge suffers a bit because of this.

Yes there are other factors, heat treating, blade geometry, edge angle etc. But they are all give and take, there is no magic heat treat no super amazing alien steel that many makers would have you believe. I've owned knives from just about every high end and low end company/maker out there. The gaps between them are not anywhere near the marketing would have you believe.

That said to me then there is a better solution to one single knife that has to do everything. That is get a larger knife out of a 1095 or other steel, thick blade, say 6-8" blade good heat treat, for chopping/prying/abuse. Bigger if you feel you will do a LOT of chopping because there is no replacement for size/length/weight when it comes to chopping. Then couple it with a small light fixed blade maybe 3.5-4" thin ats34/s30v etc. for your fine cutting needs, skinning, etc. where it's not going to be abused but the edge qualities are key.

You end up carrying only a couple more ounces, and not only now have redundant gear in having 2 knives, but you are much more prepared for all your cutting needs. Also as others mentioned handle ergonomics are huge, the knife is no good if it gives you blisters the first 10 minutes you use it hard. The same can be said for all metal handles if not at least cord wrapped, in cold temps you'll wish you had a handle on it even with gloves.

You can buy 4 Rats for the price of the Busse and still have money left. I have 2 Rats and think they are great knives for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1095 is a great steel for abuse, two things come into play here, some knives are great cutters, take a great edge and hold it but they end up being "brittle" and are not good for "abuse" say chopping or prying.

Many of the cheaper 1095 knives give up some edge durability and sharpness retention but they will take a ton of chopping/prying without damage.

There's a huge split in the market here. Some of the knives like the Reeves have amazing edges, chop okay, but are not a knife to pry a door open with. I mention Reeve because they have taken some abuse from some reviews where their fixed blades did not stand up to heavy abuse. Others will take tons of abuse, but their slicing edge suffers a bit because of this.

Yes there are other factors, heat treating, blade geometry, edge angle etc. But they are all give and take, there is no magic heat treat no super amazing alien steel that many makers would have you believe. I've owned knives from just about every high end and low end company/maker out there. The gaps between them are not anywhere near the marketing would have you believe.

That said to me then there is a better solution to one single knife that has to do everything. That is get a larger knife out of a 1095 or other steel, thick blade, say 6-8" blade good heat treat, for chopping/prying/abuse. Bigger if you feel you will do a LOT of chopping because there is no replacement for size/length/weight when it comes to chopping. Then couple it with a small light fixed blade maybe 3.5-4" thin ats34/s30v etc. for your fine cutting needs, skinning, etc. where it's not going to be abused but the edge qualities are key.

You end up carrying only a couple more ounces, and not only now have redundant gear in having 2 knives, but you are much more prepared for all your cutting needs. Also as others mentioned handle ergonomics are huge, the knife is no good if it gives you blisters the first 10 minutes you use it hard. The same can be said for all metal handles if not at least cord wrapped, in cold temps you'll wish you had a handle on it even with gloves. </div></div>

IMO you are almost dead on track. In my original post I suggested a small fixed blade and a small hatchet.The small Gerbers are not much heavier then a big knife but your chopping power is greatly increased.They even make the small knife that fits in the handle. Barring the hatchet a 1095 7-9" is perfect and easy to sharpen.

Yep very true if a lot of chopping is involved the true hatchet is hard to beat. It's not as good for prying or digging though.

A long time ago I heard somewhere "A knife is the worst, most expensive, axe, screwdriver, or prybar you will ever own" and it's true.

My father has an old knife/hatch combo his father gave to him, made in finnland god knows when. It had a nice 4" wood handle and a typical 4.5" drop point with about a 9" hatchet that went in one sheath and you could swap the blade for the hatchet on the handle. Man to this day that thing is the best hunting/outdoor combo I've ran across. I've thought many times about having a custom knife maker build something with more modern materials/better lock up in a similar fashion.

I normally hate to respond to threads that I don't have too much personal experience with, but I know a year ago Recon went about testing like 5K dollars worth of knives to find an ideal survival knife, NOT a fighter but a good knife that'll hold up to different tasks. Bark River Gameskeeper came out on top.

Bark River subsequently made the bravo 1 to more accomodate recon's needs. They still make both

Have you looked at the Al Mar Sere Operator with sawback that is what I am going to buy for survival. it is light, has blade and saw and s30v steel all for under $200 easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a "tactical" Kilt? </div></div>

Utilikilt, the big step to FREEDOM from ball squishing shorts or trousers. ONly real men need apply because when ye wear it ya let the bits and pieces be free of any cloth. Panty 6 says she hates washing it because it always stinks like 'ass' since I won't let her wash it for a week or two at a time during the summer
grin.gif
</div></div>

Do you wear that thing when you ride your bike?

I just bought a cheap ass Gerber "Profile" at Walmart before we left for a week long camping trip.

It was $19.99 and came with a sheath. You really can't get as cheap/simple as that. I am going to pound on it some more and do a mini-writeup on it.

Initial thought are it's the right size for a "survival" knife. It's a full-tang with rubber slab scales. The sheath sucks but it keeps it on your belt. You will loose it in half a heartbeat if you trust the sheath.

I have no idea what the steel is or where it was made (betting CHINA). It dulls when leaned on hard and came with a shitty edge, but sharpens quickly. I was about to try the streambed rock sharpening trick when a relative handed me a ceramic sharpener to put the edge back on it. It works well with a magnesium block/flint fire starter.

We will see what more I can do to it before I bust it.

22-01795-1.jpg

Talking about the edge on that Gerber reminds me of my pocket knife. Work bought it for me. It dulls fairly easily but sharpens fast. Also a Gerber.

The Rat 6 is a great choice for a survival knife. I'd stay away from Busse and Scrapyard, as there not ideal survival knives. I'd suggest a few other You might want to check into.

Bark River Bravo 1
Bark River Bravo 1 ss
Bark River bravo 2

I heard a story from a retired Marine about a bunch of Marines that were stranded on various islands and left behind during WWII(I believe) and he talked about how the Marines starved to death because the K-Bar wasnt able to open up the coconuts on the island...

After hearing this story I decided that whatever knife I buy will have to pass the coconut test. I tried a newer K-Bar and it opened it after a great workout, then I tried a few others but the one that works the best is my SOG Seal Team Elite... If I had to take only one knife anywhere it would be that one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpalmer88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest a few other You might want to check into.

Bark River Bravo 1
Bark River Bravo 1 ss
Bark River bravo 2 </div></div>

+1

the bravo is too big for my tastes, but I own a bravo 1 and bravo 1 ss. my bravo 1 ss is never that far away from me. it was over $200 though

The Bravo 2 is to big for my taste also, but within the op's wanted size. The bravo 1 ss is my favorite fixed blade. I decided the Bravo 1 ss was worth the extra $$$ over the original.

Never handled one but I'd love to get one of these:

BM150BKSN.jpg

Benchmade Marc Lee Glory Knife

Your Purchase goes to a good cause as a bonus.

I'm also looking at buying a new knife. So the consensus is Ontario knives and TOPS knives are good to go? I don't want to spend TOO much, but don't want to be a cheap ass either.

i like to carry a full fledged bowie for impressing the lions and gators and occasionally shaving for the sheelas but then always have a shrade x timer handy for skinnin and sich.