• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best Survival Knife

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
I'm looking for a solid, rugged, all-purpose survival knife....length of blade no more than 6 inches...serrated edge would be good.

I've looked at the Gerber LMFII and liked a couple of the features (serrated edge section, capability to tie through the handle to a pole, sharpener in sheath, butt cap tool)

Anybody got any better ideas/recommendations?

Not looking for fancy handles/leather/engraving/polished blades....this is a working tool.

Thanks in advance....

Re: Best Survival Knife

BasraBoy,
For the money($25-30), buy a Glock Knife. They make serrated and non-serrated. I have had one for years. I paid $19 in 1991 and haved field dressed several deer and chopped a little wood with the thing. It sharpens easy and if I lose it, I am not out much. The blade is 6 1/2".
http://www.glock.com/english/index_acc.htm

Click on the outdoor tab.

buckmaster 184 is kinda cool

Thankk guys...the Glock looks interesting and I've got a load of M9 bayonets but they are really heavy duty - another reason why I was looking at the LMF.

I've just been looking at the double serrated Gerber Silver Trident. But I think the features on the LMF edge it over the ST....

Two knives that have worked well for me in the past in field/survival work.

The Buck Nighthawk:
100_2137.jpg

And SOG SEAL 2000
100_2127.jpg

I believe both are a bit longer than you were looking for, but I wanted them to double as "fighting" knives.

They worked well for chopping, digging, butchering MRE eating and associated tasks.

I used to hand over my SEAL 2K to students to complete varying tasks (trap building, wood cutting, etc.) and it always stood up well. The point concerned me at first, but it never broke.

I have been looking at RAT Knives for a new camping blade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two knives that have worked well for me in the past in field/survival work.

The Buck Nighthawk:
</div></div>

Thanks LoneWolfUSMC. I have a Nighthawk and it is a nice knife but a little long and also I notice the lack of a serrated edge for wood etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SOG Seal and SOG Seal Pup +1 for the money and the cheapest price I found was on Amazon! The Pup is perfect for what you want...</div></div>

Thanks riverguide. The Seal Pup Elite looks interesting.

The list is currently:

Gerber LMF II
SOG Seal Pup Elite
Gerber Silver Trident (but this is a little long in the blade and more than I'd really planned on spending - looks like around $199.00 on Ebay).

First, I'm pretty sure there was a huge thread on this not too long ago. A quick search should pull it up.

That said, x2 on the Glock.

Havent' used one but just ordered one of these to beat on just because...well who doesnt need more toys;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/geprcocokn.html

Other than that I've had a Cold Steel Master Hunter (stainless) that has cleaned many deer an filled in on various other tasks. No prb going through a deer pelvis or sternum plenty of back bone and not hard to put an edge back on. Although its not quite nearly the work horse its Kukri cousin is...but that is another story!

I just took delivery on a RAT SERE; 1/4" thick and a 5 inch blade; built like a tank.

I have a used SEAL Pup for sale if anyone wants one.

JT

I was given the Gerber LMF II as a gift before a deployment. Loved it. Worked well in anything that I put it through.

I have a Strider DB-L that's plenty stout.

Bill Harsey's designs may be some of the best heavy-duty edged tools out there. Chris Reeve Knives sells the production versions.

I don't like the blade steel on Bucks.Top of the line is Busse Combat, more affordable is his wifes firm Swamprat knives or his brothers Scrapyard Knives. All top quality, limited production small shop knives.Randall knive are great but have a 41/2 yr wait.S30v is one of the best steels, D2 is also very good.440 & 420 are bottom end.Aus6 soft, Aus8 good, 150cm real good.

Schrade Extreme Survival SCHF3. I wouldn't rank it as absolute best, but it's at or near the top of the heap when budget is a concern. It's a very solid, no frills knife that definitely fits the "Tool" requirement. The sheath they come with is pretty decent as well.
Blade length is 6.25" with an overall length of 11.75"

Schrade_SCHF3.jpg

Consider Emerson knives.... I have never found a knife that had as sharp of a blade as the Emerson and still be very easy to sharpen. I use my Emerson Commander for everything, including slicing my grapefruit up...Doesn't rust, tough as hell, the blade stays sharp for many many cuts and still performs and cuts like a knife ought to. I have many battle knives, war , survivor knives, and a butt load of hunters and skinners, filet knives, high end Randals, Blackhawk MarkV, ExtremaRatio's and if I had to pick one.......it would be the Emerson.....There isnt even a glimmer of hope for any other choice in my book and I'm a picky blade man.......Just trying to save you some pain....SmokeRolls

the best 2 working knives I've found are the Bark River Knife and Tool Bravo 1, or the Fallkniven S1 if you like a little bit longer blade.

the Bravo 1 can be had in A2 tool steel or CPM154 SS. The S1 is a laminated SS blade with a VG10 core. the BRKT warranty is awesome. you screw up the knife, they fix it.

Both knives feature hand ground convex geometry. the Spine of my Bravo 1's are almost 7mm thick yet I can slice mushrooms and tomatoes thin enough to see through.

and one last thing: convex edges are simple to maintain. an assortment of sandpapers and a leather strop are all that is needed to keep their edges scary sharp.

HTH,
LM

Kabar all the way. You can get bettr for two to three times the money but the good old Kabar will not let you down. If you want to step up a notch go with a D2 Kabar.

Pat

well in my fit of sarcasm i said the wrong thing, i meant mk 3 dive knife... "im gonna come at you like a spider monkey..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gov-t_mule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should consider the RAT RC-5 and RC-6. They are made for what you describe and come with a "no questions asked" life-time warranty that goes with the blade, not the user.

RC-5: $154.82

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-5.htm

RC-6: $139.85 (w/ serrations)

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-6.htm

Prices quoted are from knivesshipfree.com, a solid on-line retail distributor. </div></div>

+1 for RAT. Quality steel and Jeff Randle is a standup guy that supports mil/leo.

I have the knighthawk also but from the factory it was about as sharp as a balloon. At best a hatchet. If you get it take some time and sharpen that bugger.

When I need one knife that can do it all for camping/survival trips I always take my swiss army champion. I know it's not as cool or tough looking as my Kabar D2, but the swiss army knife has a magnifying glass for starting fires, saws, two blades, a file, screw drivers, and other misc. For no more than what they cost they are a great asset to have somewhere in the pack. It doesn't take a big knife to cut rope, sharpen a stick or anything like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">swiss army knife is the best by far </div></div>

I always have one in my pocket. I wouldn't consider it a survival knife though. I have a lot of other knives, pocket and folding belt from Buck and Gerber, but the only one I always have with me is my Victorinox Swiss Army.
For a stainless blade it takes and holds a very sharp edge. I just run it over a diamond hone and don't try to get the edge smooth. It seems to cut better a little rough- but I only skin oranges with it.

Jim

Swiss army knives rock for gadgets, and I carried one for quite some time as a kid. That was before I saw what kind of punishment a "true" survival knife needs to be able to endure.

Remember we are not talking about "camping, fishing or outdoors" knives. A survival knife needs to assist in tackling the survival basics:

Water Gathering
Shelter Building
Food Gathering
Fire Starting
Signaling

While you CAN use the smallest of folders to accomplish the tasks, a medium sized thick spined fixed blade will make your life easier.

Having said all that, the best survival knife is the one you carry with you.

I am a knife addict and have from the most expensive to the most run of the mill stuff.The one thing I would demand in a true survival knife is it be made of normal carbon steel such as 1095.If you are realy using it hard core it will get dull and fast no matter what wonder steel is used.With plain carbon steel you can sharpen it frequently and quickly.It can even be done with some common stones something you will never do to 58 RC s30v.The Randall series by Ontario is a good starting point.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ONRAT5

The late Col. James "Nick" Rowe, who started the SERE school for the Army after escaping from captivity in Vietnam, habitually carried a low-carbon steel folder so he could sharpen it on a rock. I think he knew something about survival.

I've used the gerber mark II for years the thing is great, the blade is like 6 to 6 1/2 inches serrated doubled edged though.

Do you think they would mind putting "Dawn Treader" on mine instead of "Dawn Warrior" if I were to make an order?

I also like their smaller neck knives and specialty items but you can only go so small before you might as well just keep a razor blade in your wallet. I would like to see a toenail knife, that I could keep hidden under the extremely large toenail I have been growing for 3.5 years on my left foot.

i have a coldsteel trailmaster it is a survival knife for cutting down trees splitting wood building shelters hammering stuff holds a pretty good edge too. this guy on you tube "nutnfancy" has hundreds of knife reviews on video thats what i looked at before i bought. I always admit my ignorance and seek knowledge

I was wondering when someone would bring up Busse. I'm looking at his stuff now.
Also Chris Reeve's stuff.
All the different metals are giving me fits tho.

best survival knife is te one you have with you, not a 30oz $500 "survival knife" you keep at home, or dont carry day to day

I just ordered a Tops Black Eagle Strike Team (BEST) It should be here in a few days. I'll let you know what I think of it when I've had a chance to work it out.

KA-BAR Warthog fixed-blade anyone?

I've been looking to procure one of those!
I've only got a folder, it's pretty useful for slicing lemons for tequila shots.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Any TOPS, (but especially the Dawn Warrior,) Ontario or RAT cutlery RAT5, a Cold Steel Recon Scout, or a new spec Kabar. (In that order of preference.)

If you want to go over $200, get a Cold Steel Military Classic, Trailmaster, or Outdoorsman (again, in that order of preference) Chris Reeve Green Beret model, or a Randall model 1, 14, 15, 16 (these last three with the micarta border patrol grip option instead of the finger grooves.)

I personally don't care for hollow handled survival knives; weak blade to handle junction being my primary concern. To me, full tang is the way to go. I have two Randall model 18s, but I leave them at home. I know a lot of people swear by them, so perhaps I'm overly conservative in this regard.

Just my 2¢,
Steve