• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best target cam for the price?

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, I have a private place locally I can use out to about 950yds.

My work schedule only gives me a few hours of daylight in the morning, so being as efficient as possible gather dope/data is important.

Looking to save myself 10min trips to drive down, check, paint, etc. Especially on days that are bad for seeing impacts with optics.

I’m looking for target cams that can go to 1k and are quick to set up.

Ideally, two cameras so I can set one up for paper at 300 or 600 and the other on steel at 950.

Also not looking to break the bank. Willing to pay for quality, but don’t need to spend a fortune if unnecessary.

Thanks

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
    Tagging in on this as I'd like to learn more as well.

FWIW, a shooter next to me on the 1k firing line was using this system below a few weekends ago. My real quick BLUF is it was fucking slick, and it worked the entire day without him really screwing with it at all. I don't know if he was able to rock multiple cameras at different points however, and I'll also offer the weather was absolutely perfect that day

I have the older version of that system and it works very well. Easy setup. Although you can use your phone I much prefer to use an I pad. 6mm holes in paper at a 1000 yards are no problem. You can have multiple cameras running to one app but I have not tried. The system came with two short tripods. I use an uber cheap tall tripod at the target and just leave it there all of the time.

I have the older version of that system and it works very well. Easy setup. Although you can use your phone I much prefer to use an I pad. 6mm holes in paper at a 1000 yards are no problem. You can have multiple cameras running to one app but I have not tried. The system came with two short tripods. I use an uber cheap tall tripod at the target and just leave it there all of the time.

Great insight. I should have added the guy running this system was using a microsoft surface on the firing line for his display.

Maybe consider Silver Mountain targets?

I use a ShotMarker it's been great. Me and a friend built a frame so when we go shoot we put the frame up and setup the system and we are ready to shoot in minutes

I use a ShotMarker it's been great. Me and a friend built a frame so when we go shoot we put the frame up and setup the system and we are ready to shoot in minutes

I hadn't heard of that system before. I like it. What distance(s) have you used it at? The site claims 2 mile range just curious what users have used it at and has it been reliable?

As far as price/performance, I've used the Caldwell with good results. My local range only goes out to 600 so that's as far as I've used it.

I hadn't heard of that system before. I like it. What distance(s) have you used it at? The site claims 2 mile range just curious what users have used it at and has it been reliable?

I use it every week during the summer for practice at 600m and I've used it out to 900m in competitions

It's a great system and has been reliable for me

Reactions: ChadL
    I figure this thread can use a bump, I really love what I have read about shot marker, if you have internet it's amazing.

I will be in the remote areas where there is no wifi or cell service.

I have read that Targetvision rebranded as (LongShot) does not need any internet or cell service, if true this will work for what I need.

Look up youtube channel gavintoobe, he has an excellent breakdown on shot marker and others have excellent videos on Longshot.

Update 1-4-20201 I have revised this post about internet being required for Shot Marker to work. "YOU DO NOT NEED INTERNET TO USE SHOT MARKER"

I received an email back from Adam MacDonald at Shot Marker, He informed me that Shot Marker uses a local network. You don't need power, internet, Wifi, or cell service to use it, meaning I can use it in remote areas . Thank you Adam

I would like to thank Dthomas3523 for correcting my post, his information is below me in the next post, I received his answer before Adam replied back.

Last edited:
    I figure this thread can use a bump, I really love what I have read about shot marker, if you have internet it's amazing.

I will be in the remote areas where there is no wifi or cell service so shotmarker doesn't seem to fit the bill for me.

I have read that Targetvision rebranded as (LongShot) does not need any internet or cell service, if true this will work for what I need.

Look up youtube channel gavintoobe, he has an excellent breakdown on shot marker and others have excellent videos on Longshot.

Shotmarker doesn’t require an internet connection.

WiFi isn’t internet.

Reactions: anlerausa
    I never got anything. Ended up getting it access to a couple different ranges where driving to the targets are much easier now.

Shot marker may be in the future though.

Reactions: aam
    I've seen LongShot cameras at a lot of ELR events in recent years and have been impressed. Finally broke down and bought one just before Christmas. Only been able to get out with it once at 650 yards, but it worked great. Super easy to setup and use, everything worked on the first try. I was using my phone but will try my iPad next time. My old eyes suck.

Reactions: aam
    Looks like driving out is the next best thing to adams product or the longshot product. I hate driving out to check targets it cuts in to time a lot. Where I am out in the desert blazing my own trails. I want a shot camera too but can't justify it right now

+++ the long shot targetcam. I've had good luck at over 1000 yards. The app works well and though you need line of sight, I was able to get recordings thru heavily wooded areas. You are limited in those situations though. Picture is phenomenal as you can see the leaves on the ground move.
    I don't use it that much, since I'm primarily shooting steel now. It is great for paper.

Reactions: gamboolman and aam