• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best tool for neck turning?

G

L98S10XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
1281 posts this site
Best tool for neck turning?
01/03/2017

One of the reasons that I chose to chamber one of my project rifles in .260 Rem is because I can easily make cases for it using one of the most commonly found cases in the nation (.308 Win)... right? Wrong. I recently discovered that if I take a .308 case, apply a thorough coat of case wax, and run it through my .260 sizing die, it's a simple one step operation... only the neck is too thick to fit in my chamber. SON OF A BI... anyhow...

So, I have started looking at neck-turning setups, and have come across everything from hand turning sets (RCBS, K&M) to a mini lathe (21st Century)... and while I want good results, my skill as a shooter is honestly insufficient to be able to tell the difference on target between a "good enough" and a "gnat's ass precision" neck-turning job.

Those of you who neck turn, what are you using?

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
Re: Best tool for neck turning?
01/03/2017

I use the K&M neck turning kit with carbide cutter and carbide pilots. I have the power adapter in a Milwaukee M12 electric screwdriver. Does an amazing job, consistent neck thickness from case to case and Concentricity is awesome. Couldnt be happier.

Rate now:
6x47SteveXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
8046 posts this site
01/03/2017

padom wrote:
I use the K&M neck turning kit with carbide cutter and carbide pilots. I have the power adapter in a Milwaukee M12 electric screwdriver. Does an amazing job, consistent neck thickness from case to case and Concentricity is awesome. Couldnt be happier.​
That's exactly what I use, lol. Except I use Sinclair case holders.

But the "best" neck turning tool is most likely the Nielsen Pumpkin. Pricey though, heck it might not even be made anymore.

Rate now:
L98S10XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
1281 posts this site
01/03/2017

I appreciate it, gentlemen... I'll get 'er on order.

Rate now:
usafa77XSergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
153 posts this site
01/03/2017

x3 on K&M. FYI it's not just "good enough." Once you set it up- which is easy to do- you get exactly the same thickness every case- every time. Good investment for me- good luck.

Rate now:
ZiaHunterX50 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
876 posts this site
01/03/2017

Personally my favorite is the lathe mounted 21st Century. Fast and very accurate.

Rate now:
MikeSierra
MikeSierra.jpg

XCorporal
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
64 posts this site
01/03/2017

K&M with carbide cutter/pilot is all I have experience with but it does its job very well.
Rate now:
jkonzalXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
507 posts this site
01/03/2017

+1 for the 21 Century Shooting lathe!!! Worth the money!

Rate now:
wilson1911XPrivate
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
10 posts this site
01/03/2017

+2 21st century lathe is hands down the best, but its pricey. I would not trade mine for anything.

Rate now:
quest450XPrivate
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
26 posts this site
01/04/2017

+3 for the 21 Century

Rate now:
HawaiianKansasXPrivate
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
8 posts this site
01/05/2017

+4 for the 21 Century Lathe.

Reactions: DeerSniper72
I use the Sinclair neck turning tool. I will say be careful if you use a power drill. I may have been taking too large of a cut but I tore several case necks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nielsen Pumpkin is great, simple and repeatable. With our without lathe, it will get you to tenths accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bd1
I just broke down last week and ordered the 21st century lathe. We'll see how I like it when it arrives!

I just broke down last week and ordered the 21st century lathe. We'll see how I like it when it arrives!

I don't think you'll be to upset about getting it. I've used mine to turn a lot of 308 that I converted to 6.5.

I have a 21st Century neck turner, no experience with anything else, it was very easy to set up and use, the cuts are very consistent, I set it .0135, some cases hardly get touched, some 100%, mine is set up to cut into the shoulder slightly.

I use the K&M system. I setup the mandrel with 1/4" protruding from the back of the tool "body" so that I can grip it with a cordless drill chuck and spin it. I first did several hundred the other way (spinning the case with the drill and holding the tool stationary) and that was several times the difficulty, as the cases rarely spin "straight", instead wobbling all over the place, which required holding the tool loosely so it can float. I spoke to them, K&M will make long mandrels that have plenty to grab with a drill chuck while still allowing the operator to rely on the shoulder of the mandrel as a stop (to control how deep into the shoulder the tool goes).

I use 2 K&Ms with carbide pilot and cutters. One for the roughing cut and one for the final cut. Be aware, if your using power to turn your tools, you can build up heat that will spoil your precision work. My turner sit in ice water between cuts so I can keep heat down to a minimum. With that setup I can hold to with in .0002 most of the time. Just remember, heat is your enemy.

Wayne

anybody use the hornady setup?

i am a little turn between that one and the K&M.