• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best tracking reliable scope for $1000-$1500

Never owned a NF but this Sightron has never let me down in the 1st year of service:) And under 900 bucks.
IGxzYcP.jpg

All springs will take a set after a period of use...period!
Take your valve springs or the coil off of your mono shock on your GX'R...measure them new,then measure them after a year of use...less usable effective range will be the result...I have done work for Danly Die...and we were frequently required to remove and inspect springs for acceptable length/rate values...given enough room within a working environment,the spring can be made long enough to tolerate compression setting...there is not a lot of room in a scope tube I suspect and any reduction in travel would likely be an issue...
As to original posting,I've had good luck as well with VX III's,MK 4's but I think my NXS's are definitely a step up...

Does titanium compress like spring steel?

There are some good deals on discontinued scopes, Steiner and NF. I pick up a used NXS it has Zero Stop and High Speed turrets which as I understand come together. The benefit with HS is even shooting out to 1000, I can't think of many times I have need more then 1 turn of elevation.

Does titanium compress like spring steel?
Titanium does not have the resistance to fatigue that a dedicated "spring steel" like 1086 or the likes has...but like everything else,compromises are made to gain other qualities,such as corrosion resistance or weight reduction...in short,titanium makes a worse spring...

If 2nd focal is suitable for you (it's not for my applications) good prices abound on the Nightforce NXS scopes. These scopes have an excellent reputation for tracking and durability. Glass is serviceable.

For a little higher glass quality with good mechanics, contact SWFA for one of their SS HD 5-20x50 ($1,500 +/-). Glass is better quality than price would suggest. Reticle is not the greatest but still very useable. Out of all scopes in the $1,200-$2,000 price range, the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 would be tough to beat.

I have a customer who bought Vortex PST 6-24 FFP mrad.

He wanted to find out tracking reliability as well, so he adjusted elevation from bottom-up to bottom-down and then to desired dope setting *between each and every shot he took*.

After doing this almost two years he said tracking is reliable.

I just purchased a vortex 6-24x50pst. I'm happy to hear good things about them, I've done a lot of internet and YouTube research on them. I would rather use a nightforce or leupold tactical (m5??) but I feel it was a good purchase for $1000. That is all I was willing to spend. If I were willing to go $1500 I think I could have found a similar nf. As with any product, most of my research was tainted by biased opinions and sales reps. I've heard good things about bushnel elite and a couple others in that price range I can't think of right now $.02

All springs will take a set after a period of use...period!
Take your valve springs or the coil off of your mono shock on your GX'R...measure them new,then measure them after a year of use...less usable effective range will be the result...I have done work for Danly Die...and we were frequently required to remove and inspect springs for acceptable length/rate values...given enough room within a working environment,the spring can be made long enough to tolerate compression setting...there is not a lot of room in a scope tube I suspect and any reduction in travel would likely be an issue...
As to original posting,I've had good luck as well with VX III's,MK 4's but I think my NXS's are definitely a step up...

This whole discussion about spring compression, and the potential applicability to rifle scopes, is great. 99% of the users are never going to recognize a degradation in performance. But when you are relying on the spring(s) performing at the outer limits of their capabilities (whether it be in regards to repeatability, # cycles, compressive strength, etc) it only makes sense. I see a number of comparisons made to automotive applications in this thread. Of interest there, I had a custom engine built a few years ago by an NHRA mechanic. This engine was going to "sit" for a while before use, and when the mechanic learned that, he pulled the valve covers and released all the valve spring pressure. He said it wouldn't be a problem in normal applications, but when you go outside that "normal" envelope and are turning high rpm for extended periods, it DOES matter. In the world of long distance, precision shooting, degredation of spring performance isn't going to have the same dramatic effect as in an engine, but it probably does have the potential to impact the precise repeatability that high end shooters demand. The nice thing is, for scopes, releasing spring pressure is a pretty easy, painless step... Why NOT take advantage of it?

I think I am sold on the spring idea. I don't shoot very often so my rifles are pretty much in storage mode, I'll be backing my springs off just to be safe, whether or not it will do anything I hope I never find out.

I don't know exactly how the mechanics of a scope works but would a light flick the elv/win knob settle it in place on a scope that has a problem or are they just jumpy and need repair?

I have never heard spring tension being a problem in scopes but, it makes sense. I always store my two stage trigger on my AR uncocked for that same reason.

OP you'll be happy with your vortex, I know I am with mine.

waking the dead by bumping a 3 year old post :)

Have to be a pessimist since you're a new account and your only two posts have been with this link - Any chance that's your site you linked to in order to get the amazon commissions on sales?

hmmm, two posts with the same shittty article? say it ain't so...