• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best training scope for a rem 40x 22

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
whats would the best or a really good training scope to mount on my rem 40x heavy barrel 22? looking at a mil dot for my 308 700p but could i really use a mildot scope on a 40x 22 shooting out too 200yrds? THOUGHTS GUYS?

Re: best training scope for a rem 40x 22

I think it is nice to have the same scope on a 22 trainer as your centerfire, but not really necessary. It is nice to have a mil-mil scope even at the shorter ranges because that 22 really drops and there is no problem spotting shots. I have a USO as my main scope and BSA Mil-Mil on my 22 and I am happy with it.

If you are building a trainer for your competition rifle I would recommend you make it as close as possible in weight, aesthetics, and optics.

I'm using a Vortex Razor on my Sako Quad 22lr. It's pretty much a twin to my .260 Rem match rifle. If that's a bit high for your budget take a look at the Super Sniper 12x or 16x Mil/Mil scopes. If you want a variable power scope you might consider the Weaver Tactical 4-20 50mm. It's first focal plane and mil/mil. Vortex Viper PSTs are an option as well. You will need a 20moa scope base to get out to 200+ yards. EGW make a nice base and they are reasonable.

S&B 5-25 P4F works for me. 50 meters prone, 60 shots inside 1/2 inch or so.

DSC02981.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

Make sure it will focus down to the minimum distance you want to shoot.

check out mildot center point @ walmart $69

I have a few ant they work great

I bought a 40x about 3 months ago for exactly the same reason you have. I also shoot a monthly match with it that ranges go from 50 to 200yds. I bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 mil dot. It has a side focus and is amazingly clear for the money ($450). The scope tracks perfectly as well.

I have been impressed with it to the point that I am about to buy one to put on a new long range build I am working on. Probably will get the FFP PST.

I was going to buy a Nightforce but to be honest with you... I don't think it is that much better. IMHO

I'd say get a scope that is similar to the one on your centerfire rifle. Just be sure that it will do what you need it to do on your rimfire though. My first choice for my rimfire was a Nightforce 5.5-22X, but it wouldn't focus down to 50 yards. I settled for PST, because it would focus down to 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was going to buy a Nightforce but to be honest with you... I don't think it is that much better. IMHO</div></div>

Rusty, are you making that comment after having shot with them? I've had all of the scopes that you mentioned in your post and the Vortex scopes that you mentioned don't even come close to the Nightforce in terms of build quality.

I have used a new PST, Viper.
And I own a few Night Foces.
The Vortex is not even in the same ballpark!
I have a buddy, who got a new PST. Open the box, looked throught
The scope. Then put it back in the box, and sold it!
He bought a new 22x NF.

That's just my experience.

M

I use Leupold 6.5-20 Vari XIIIs on my Remington 700s. On my 40X 22lr I use Leupold 6.5-20 EFR that focus down to 10yds and a Leupold Mark 2 that focus down to 25yds. All same retical and adjustments and size