• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best trigger for PRS style shooting

PracticalTactical

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2019
I've spent the last two and a half decades shooting F Class but have found PRS style events quite interesting as they represent a wider range of challenges.

For F Class I have a clear preference for two stage triggers.

When I started shooting PRS, I got to thinking that maybe the take up time for the first stage was not efficient use of time constraints, so I switched to single stage triggers.

Well its some years later now, and I'm having second thoughts and I'm finding myself drawn back toward two stage triggers. I like that I can set the total trigger weight higher with two stage so its less sensitive to an accidental trip, while having the feel of a lighter weight trigger when it releases.

Is this just a personal preference thing or is there some fact based reason why single stage might be preferred over two stage or vice versa?

Personal preference, mine is for 2-stage triggers. Preferably the BnA TacSport triggers.

I find having two distinct trigger stages allows me to more easily focus on the fundamentals while shooting, especially in awkward positions.

Trying to be more efficient by working the trigger faster is not a good practice, IMO. There are much better areas to try and optimize your efficiency than sacrificing your application of the fundamentals.

Reactions: PracticalTactical
Two stage. 13-15 ounces total weight. The majority of that on the 1st stage. Like several ounce 2nd stage. The only issue I've run into is shooting weak side and my less than agile left finger. Practice would solve this.

I like the 2 stage just for adding another step to my firing process. My feeble mind needs the distraction from all the "what if's" 😆

Most triggers in PRS are single stage. I'm happy with the Trigger Tech Primary that came with my Bergara HMR Pro (single stage). I have a Timney HIT that's going on my rifle build occuring as we speak (also single stage). Another rifle is going to get the Bix N Andy TacSport 2-stage, though.

I actually prefer 2-stage. I think getting into the sport, 2-stage is king. That or don't go nuts light on the single stage.

Really... TiggerTech Primary is as much as you need to spend in PRS IMO...

Total personal preference.

I do think for a newer shooter who is trying to grasp the fundamentals of marksmanship, especially in a PRS setting, a Single stage could present some problems such as the desire to slap or press. Its a whirlwind of informaiton and stimulation and if you have history running 2 stages its one less variable to worry about since it should be muscle memory.

For an experienced shooter its not really an issue and in fact can be a speed advantage compared to pre-loading a 2 stage. I don't think the speed advantage ever shows up on the scoreboard however.

Two stage. 13-15 ounces total weight. The majority of that on the 1st stage. Like several ounce 2nd stage. The only issue I've run into is shooting weak side and my less than agile left finger. Practice would solve this.
This exactly, except right finger.

I'm enjoying 2-stage on a few of my comp guns (timney 532ce curved). 14oz total, split 60/40 for weight on 1st stage / 2nd stage.

Personally, it helps to have a 2 stage. Preload trigger and as I "wobble onto the target" squeeze off a round. Not ideal, but works for me.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Look at Xtreme shooting CG trigger, it's a drop in for a R700. I own 5 of Tom's triggers in my Tactical R700 and FTR rifle and 338. They absolutely one of the most reliable and bullet proof on the market.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
I'm hearing many very good shooters have moved to 2-stage triggers for the reasons many have given here.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I can shoot both well and use mostly single stage but I find I focus more with 2 stage. The first stage take up to the wall is usually my "ok focus on final firing fundamentals" then crack it off. With single you don't get the mental cue.

Still have no overbearing preferences for either, both have their pros.

Austin Orgain uses a single stage bix (last I heard). Allison Zane uses a two stage Huber.

Those are about as opposite end of spectrum you can get.

Moral of story: doesn’t matter….personal preferenc.

Look at F1, motoGP or NASCAR. All vastly different approaches, all lapping within a 1/10th of a second, constantly.

Get good with what you have.

I have been through the gauntlet of triggers and settled on a Bix Tacsport Pro single stage. I run a few TT diamonds on hunting guns, but they are slowly getting replaced as well. Too many failures witnessed when conditions aren't perfect (Gap Grind 2021)

I found 2 stage quicker. With a 1lb single, I couldn't rush my trigger pull, with a 2 stage I found myself shooting quicker and identical shot score, but overall better score.

85% points to shots taken, and I ended up taking more shots over a match by 2 sometimes 3 shot, as I wasn't timing out as easily.