• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best tripod for tall shooter?

Huskyfever03

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
PNW
Looking for advice for a first tripod for a tall user (6'7)

Not too concerned about the weight or cost, just want something that is of really good quality that is tall enough for all types of comp/hunting. Thank you!

I'm the same height and went with a Gitzo. My buddy just got the 2 section tripod from 2 vets and it's tall enough and probably what I'd get if I didn't already have the Gitzo.

I just did a short write up on heights and stability on my website - its in the product description for RRS Soar Tripods:

Here is the Max height extended (which is what a lot of people look at):

Maximum Extended Height (including Anvil-30 head):​

• 2 Leg Section (22i) — max height is 67 inches (5.6 feet)
  • 3 Leg Section (33) — max height is 61 inches (5 feet)
  • 4 Leg Section (34) — max height is 61 inches (5 feet)
  • 4 Leg Section (34L) — max height is 71 inches (5.9 feet)

However I think max stable height is more useful, and I think the numbers are a bit surprising...

My maximum suggested height for stability:​

• 2 Leg Section (22i) — max height full extended = 67 inches (5.6 feet)
  • 3 Leg Section (33) — max height fully extended = 61 inches (5 feet)
  • 4 Leg Section (34) — max height without the smallest legs extended = 42.7 inches (3.5 feet)
  • 4 Leg Section Long (34L) — max height without the smallest legs extended = 49.7 inches (4.1 feet )

However the above is my ideas, what is stable for you might not be for someone else. I was surprised about the 22i being so tall compared to the others. I think it might be the most stable - but comes at the penalty of not very compact when stowed...

Your going to have to decide what is the most important feature out of - stability, compactness and max height...