• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best tripod height for NPA, while using a tripod, sitting in a chair

kimberyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
madison county illinois
I just finished having my system put together, and I am wanting to practice dry firing with my rifle mounted on a tripod, while sitting on a three legged blind chair. I am seeing 2 different heights. One is a perfect butt/shoulder location, or a perfect scope/eye location. All of this is with flat ground, with a flat target location. I am guessing the differences is between about 4-6 inches. No recoil with this caliber or system. Thx!

don't overthink it . You just need to find the correct height and leg positioning by getting out and sitting in the chair and live or dry firing while looking threw your scope at object/targets .

unless your shooting in an alleyway . chair and tripod, It's Not a good way to go if you have a moving target or in hurry to make a shot . Sitting in a chair behind a tripod, is limited on your swinging left to right movement , especially the the direction you dominant rifle hold . (example ) if your Right handed on rifle and R-eye on optics, and swinging even a little bit Left is a limited NoGo in sitting position . and you will have to move/change seating positions with the chair a LOT .

( for Me ) the only way I use the Tripod in that shorter height other than standing . I will use the Tripod on my knees to move easily around the 360 deg. when in the fields at night or getting over taller grass .
( If I am sitting position ) . I will not use a chair . I use a extra Tall Bi-pod and sit on the ground with picking up my rifle/bi-pod a few inches off ground to make a swing a direction change to a target if needed .

Thx for the reply. I am stationary type hunting where I sit for several hours. Only getting up to stretch every so often. Im setting up, ambush style, where I mainly know where the coyotes will appear.
I would of never overthought my position in the past. That is, until I saw Frank and Jacob's 'straight behind the rifle' video! My system is completely new to me, so I have several months of dry firing ahead of me. There always seems top be a right way, and a wrong way to do something. I just want to be correct pin my practice.

There's a lot of variables ... and almost but not quite ... as many different tripod "positions" as there are tripod shooters ...

I sit sometimes .. though usually on the running board of the 4 wheeler ... trying to get lower, out of the wind ... the bane of tripod shooting is the wind buffeting the shooter around ...
==
But the right height is important ! And for me at least, the right height is the height at which muscling is either eliminated or at least minimized. Just like with any position, the more muscle the more miss ... so whatever position your shooting in ... standing on top of your truck ... or sitting in a easy chair ... get the height that minimizes the muscle ...

:)

To manage recoil I focus on hips and shoulders square to target, slight forward lean of torso and some sort of support for trigger elbow, bag or knee or stump etc..... Support arm straight with hand grasping tripod leg on opposite side. Combined this should allow you to see impacts in most situations.

A chair that swivels. Pick up the tripod and reset to maximize NPA. Have it at the right height to support elbows on knees.

There is a huge difference in comparing various tripods as far as stability. I have a Manfrotto 055 which I thought was a stiff tripod when I bought it years ago, and it is side by side with those cheap tripods at walmart, but nope it sucks compared to a RRS carbon tripod. Same with my pistol grip head, it royally sucks on my 055 compared to a RRS Anvil30. It's hard to believe how steady these RRS combo's really are until you've tried one!

I can't afford a RRS tripod but there are other Co's approaching the quality for much less the cost.

I just received my behemoth bag from Weibad. It’s just about perfect for under the stock/trigger arm support. Most of the suggestions makes a lot of sense. Less body movements, the more NPA will be. I am astonished on how much more steady this system is compared to my old one. It sure cost enough $$!!