• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing best twist rate for 175 gn .308

Aussie_Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2007
Australia
After taking my rifle to the range I have formed the opinion that its time for a custom barrel. My grouping was over an inch at 100m and I know its not my shooting. Breathing correctly, not flinching, squeezing the trigger and correct eye relief where all adhered too and the gap was about an inch to the left.

I was quoted $1000 for a kreiger barrel with installation. My old gunsmith has since retired and I had to find some one new.

What is the opinion of other target shooters that shoot from 100 to 1000 metres/yards in .308?

Also is it normal for smiths to charge $700 for a just labour in barrel replacement?

Thanks guys,

Aussie

Re: best twist rate for 175 gn .308

I get $200 for a barrel job. $250 for fluted barrels.

$700 is a number I wish for at night as I fall asleep. . .

As for your question, I'd opt for a 1:11 for 175's. Good luck.

C.

Does the install include any other work? Truing up all surfaces, lapping lugs, stuff like that?

My custom rifle has a 1:10 for the 175. My Gunsmith/maker was very specific for the Kreiger barrel and action with the SMK175 1:10. As long as the bullet stabalizes you wil be fine (1:11 will work as well). I know that Loadbase 3 has a function where you can put in the bullet and barrel length and twist and it will tell you if you are stabalized or not.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I get $200 for a barrel job. $250 for fluted barrels.

$700 is a number I wish for at night as I fall asleep. . .

As for your question, I'd opt for a 1:11 for 175's. Good luck.

C.</div></div>

With inflation possibly headed where it is, it might not be long before that is a reality!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the install include any other work? Truing up all surfaces, lapping lugs, stuff like that? </div></div>

As mentioned these are separate jobs/charges. Kind of like getting new tires and asking if a transmission rebuild is included. . .

$200 for the Tier 1 blueprint for a Remmy M700. Add $50 for a Winchester or F/N CRF/PF action. You'll also have to buy a $55.00 recoil lug from me as I make my own to pin to the receiver. (delete the lug cost on the Winchester/FN receivers)

The work includes:

Facing receiver
Interpolating threads to 1.085X16
Truncating the lead thread
Drilling for a pinned lug
Lapping the lugs to the receiver on the bolt

Threads are gauged/qualified and all work is done on a HAAS VMC with robust/modern fixturing.

Turn around is about a week from the day it hits the floor.

Common questions:

No, I don't face the bolt or cut the lugs on the bolt. In 99.99% of situations its not required and it does more harm that good as it goofs up the primary extraction on the receiver and alters the tennon dimensioning. Lapping the lugs serves as a post operation quality control inspection process than anything. If the lugs lap in nice and quick it means the lugs on the bolt were machined right from the factory. If they weren't it'd be immediately evident by intermittent contact. In 99/100 actions it's done right from Remington.

Sorry to snipe the thread. I'll shut up now.

C.

We should bear in mind that "Aussie_Shooter" may be in Australia where prices for anything gun related may be much different than here - especially for quality work.

I have found a 1:12" to be plenty enough twist for 175 gr. bullets. You clearly won't need a 1:10", and a 1:11" will enable you to run the 175 gr. bullets supersonic, transonic and subsonic if that's in the picture.

All I know is I called up this other guy for a quote to install a new barrel and he said it would cost around $1000.00. When I looked up krieger barrels and saw them for $300. I was wondering how it could cost an extra 700. For labour. I guess it might cost 50 to 100 for postage but even still 600 for the replacement of a barrel? I had the action rebedded a while ago and am not sure if it needs to be redone or other things need to be implemented for screwing off one barrel and screwing in another.
Excuse me for being nieve but I don't want to get ripped off nor know what it entails to get a barrel replaced as this is my first one.

Send it to me mate.

Worry no more.
smile.gif
and your wallet will stay fatter.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> . . . I had the action rebedded a while ago and am not sure if it needs to be redone or other things need to be implemented for screwing off one barrel and screwing in another. . . </div></div>

Um - I suspect a re-barrel with Chad is a good bit more than just screwing off one barrel and screwing on another. My impression is Chad is speaking of starting with a new barrel blank and doing it up right all the way in terms of indicating, threading, chambering, fitting, crowning, etc.

I don't know the legal nuances of sending a rifle from Australia to US, having it re-barreled and sent back to Australia, but I suspect that had something to do with the first person's pricing.

the sad reality of shooting in Australia is that a barrel blank will start at around $600 and climb higher. there are very few "good" smiths in Australia, a lot having no "gunsmith" training as they generally start off as fitter and turners.

I don't know where in Australia you are located but I know that where I am from the smiths charge around $700-900 for a barrel job. $500 <span style="font-style: italic">minimum</span> for the barrel + $200-400 labour (because it's a captive market and they can).

we always get shafted over here, the price of everything is at least double if not triple when it comes to firearms related items.

Aussie,

Have you looked at Triple J for a vendor/gunsmith? James is an all right bloke in my book, the real deal for shooting, dealt with him a lot when I was at Border in Scotland, and if there was an import issue would be one to deal with. Also, getting 175gr to 1000yd if target shooting, shooting across the course, you'd be fine in 10-13" twist rate, dependent on barrel length and subsequent velocity. I'd personally recommend slightly under 12, what is going to be most important is the correct chamber for the pill to squeeze out the most potential...

I have a 1-12 Krieger 25' long and keeping the 175's supersonic at 1000 yds is easy and it shoots around 1/2 MOA when i do my part.

Thanks guys for all the info. Kreiger nolonger offer international postage on their barrels. Which means I have to bend over and just hope it doesn't hurt to much. I appreciate all the advice and will see when he calls me back what gurantee I will get with his work. I can't send it over to the US and get it sent back to me so their goes that idea also. The wait is 3 to 7 months so will see if he can offer a payment plan. The joys of being a mature age student.

Talk to James Corbett at Triple J Imports, he's in Benalia in NSW. If you want to get an item in, James has the cred and paperwork knowledge to do so.

JR