• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best Value Ballistic Helmets

Ironman8

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2014
Happy Independence Day guys!

I’m starting to piece together a NV setup and looking to pick up a helmet first. Wanting to go ballistic for the occasional shoothouse class or other general preparedness.

I’ve been looking around and weighing what’s actually available with the price and features. I’m not looking for the cheapest, but the best value for someone who’s not a “professional user.”

Budget is <$1k (hopefully I can save a few hundred more)

Looking around and researching it looks like Team Wendy might fit the bill with their 20% off sale right now. From what I understand they lead in the comfort department and I wouldn’t need to upgrade pads and such.

The other leading option is a Gentex TBH-IIIA MC High Cut Helmet. Best price I’ve found is around $700 but my understanding is you need to upgrade pads and suspension to be on par with the comfort of the TW. And may end up being the same price. I’m also unsure if it’s actually available at some of the vendors I looked at. (What’s also interesting is the price on those ranges anywhere from the $700 to $1kish mark, not sure why there would be that much variance.)

Ops Core pricing is crazy high, same with A lot of the other name brands.

So what options do y’all suggest? Anything I’m missing?

Last edited:
Gentex/Ops Core is a good option.

They aren't cheap as you mentioned and run a crazy long lead time.

Could get a ballistic ach helmet that is mil surplus for a couple hundred, not a high ear cut though. Hard head veterans sells ballistic helmets but the shell is made in china, which is very hard to support to be honest.

1593878505986.png

this one for only 30.00 on amazon could be fun or maybe the one from the movie the man in the iron mask

Some of the knock off Chinese high cut helmets have shrouds that are way out of spec. I got two as loaners. Military issue Rhino arms would not fit in the out of spec plastic shrouds they came with.

Hard head veterans.
Own one and love it. Most comfortable lid I've worn.
Same ballistic protection without the extra premium price.
And they donate to SOF.

Chinese all the way! It’s only your head. They grow back.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree that Chinese isn’t the route I’m looking for. Too many reports of out of spec rails/shrouds and their ballistic protection is suspect IMO.

I also don’t know enough about used/mil-surplus armor to be able to sift through the BS that’s out there.

I’m not looking for cheap either, just what is the best value. As an example, Ops Core at $1500 vs TW at $1k isn’t what I would consider the best value. I was just wondering if I was missing anything with what’s currently on the market AND available fairly readily.

I always wonder how they can cost so much? Don’t see the value, but found no options so bought one. ☹️

I looked at HHV for a long time but I started leaning towards the Revision/Galvion Viper for a ballistic after a while. I saw a few negative reviews too many and simply changed my choice. Both are relatively inexpensive, but the Viper comes in low, mid, and high cut if that makes any difference for you.

And not to hijack the thread but for those of y'all who have HHV helmets, I'd love to have your feedback on them.

Reactions: shoobe01
The difference between TW and Gentex helmet you mentioned is whether or not you care to have a proprietary TW rail system for attaching ear pro and other stuff.

More companies use ops core rails and TW went off and did their own thing. I have a TW bump helmet, and I had to buy their peltor mounting hardware. Not a huge deal, but you’re stuck with their stuff. I keep my helmet as basic as possible, so it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I will also say the TW pads are decent but not the best. I tried on my buddies ops core with 4D pads and it was more comfortable in my opinion. Can’t go wrong either way.

There were some helmets in PX recently...

PS... @Drago6 had an ear pro or comms set up recently in the PX if that interests you. I think he had a sweet maritime ballistic also at one point.

Ive been kind of thinking of getting something for work but my OCD has me busting my budget.

Im thinking your helmet use is basically a mount for NV capability.......do you really need the ballistic spec?

Outside work in the fantasy SHTF scenario....its going to be a soft cover, WWII military steel pot or German M35 for me.

Have 2 TW’s — when they were first released pre-2016. Won’t buy TW anymore after their Hillary Hijinx.

Honestly, I’d rather buy Chinese than TW, and it has nothing to do with quality.

Have 2 TW’s — when they were first released pre-2016. Won’t buy TW anymore after their Hillary Hijinx.

Honestly, I’d rather buy Chinese than TW, and it has nothing to do with quality.

I wouldn’t go that far. No point in buying/wearing a helmet that will still have enough back face deformation to kill you vs one that would save your noggin.

I wouldn’t go that far. No point in buying/wearing a helmet that will still have enough back face deformation to kill you vs one that would save your noggin.

I was using hyperbole.;)

Plenty of other options aside from TW or Chinesium.

Reactions: Lowdown3
This is what I purchased. It hasn’t arrived so I can’t tell you what I think other than cost.

https://bulletproofzone.com/product...let-proof-helmet?_pos=10&_sid=dfa5d9c8c&_ss=r

Spectacular! Just ordered one. Will update once received. I performed some modest due diligence, and it looks like this is a legit IIIA NON-Chinesium helmet, and the pad system is very 4D-esque.

Excited, and I like the Multicam paint scheme that includes the ARC rails and Shroud.

Reactions: Kansas_Born
After running night vision on helmet setups for a while, there's no way I'd want a ballistic helmet unless it was something I absolutely needed to fill a specific role. Even a Team Wendy bump helmet with a set of pvs 15s gets tiring and hot after a couple hours, and on top of the discomfort most ballistic helmets will only stop pistol rounds.

If you're doing things that require a ballistic (professional use, shoot houses, etc.) and your noggin is actually on the line, I'd go for a Team Wendy, Ops core, or Mtek. The TW and Mtek are generally thought of as the most comfortable, but all are great helmets.

And if you do end up getting a ballistic helmet, I'd still get a bump helmet for general purpose use. Good luck with the decision!

After running night vision on helmet setups for a while, there's no way I'd want a ballistic helmet unless it was something I absolutely needed to fill a specific role. Even a Team Wendy bump helmet with a set of pvs 15s gets tiring and hot after a couple hours, and on top of the discomfort most ballistic helmets will only stop pistol rounds.

If you're doing things that require a ballistic (professional use, shoot houses, etc.) and your noggin is actually on the line, I'd go for a Team Wendy, Ops core, or Mtek. The TW and Mtek are generally thought of as the most comfortable, but all are great helmets.

And if you do end up getting a ballistic helmet, I'd still get a bump helmet for general purpose use. Good luck with the decision!

Specifically why I'm a huge Nightcap proponent.

Reactions: WillHugh
Specifically why I'm a huge Nightcap proponent.
I've wanted to try one for a while. Do they work well with bino setups? Would be nice to have something for hiking and long excursions that's not as hot.

I've tried one of the fancy Gentex skull crusher things, and they're very comfortable, but I can't swallow the $400ish pricetag.

Reactions: TheHorta
I've wanted to try one for a while. Do they work well with bino setups? Would be nice to have something for hiking and long excursions that's not as hot.

I've tried one of the fancy Gentex skull crusher things, and they're very comfortable, but I can't swallow the $400ish pricetag.

The only thing I don't like about the Nightcap is you really need to use the chinstrap, even with counterweight and the thing kitted-out. If you're OK with that, then it works great with binos, no problem. Just think of it as a soft cloth helmet. If you're running-and-gunning, it gets floppy. But if you're just out stalking stuff or walking around, it's just fine.

I just ordered the GEN-2 Sentinel Skull Crusher with Wilcox shroud. I'm hoping it is as comfortable as it looks, and aside from the mohawk-ish top rib, is entirely open, which should be great for keeping cool on the hot/humid summer nights here in Alabama.

Reactions: WillHugh
The only thing I don't like about the Nightcap is you really need to use the chinstrap, even with counterweight and the thing kitted-out. If you're OK with that, then it works great with binos, no problem. Just think of it as a soft cloth helmet. If you're running-and-gunning, it gets floppy. But if you're just out stalking stuff or walking around, it's just fine.

I just ordered the GEN-2 Sentinel Skull Crusher with Wilcox shroud. I'm hoping it is as comfortable as it looks, and aside from the mohawk-ish top rib, is entirely open, which should be great for keeping cool on the hot/humid summer nights here in Alabama.
Thanks for the feedback on the Nightcap. The Raptor Tactical unit looks pretty promising. Let me know what you think of it when it shows up. Gets hot even up here in New Hampshire!

Thanks for the feedback on the Nightcap. The Raptor Tactical unit looks pretty promising. Let me know what you think of it when it shows up. Gets hot even up here in New Hampshire!

Lol... I grew up in NH -- Claremont. My dad lives in Grantham.

I wear a hard had with earpro 12 hr shifts. In an oven, literally. Also wear level 4 plate setup for training.
It's hot and heavy but I decided to train harder to be stronger and better.
As far as a ballistic lid

Here's my .02.
As far as " we don't need armor, shtf fantasy" etc.etc.etc.
First of all, this is America, we can. And, nobody can say you'll never need it, that's a fact.
Personally, weight, heat and discomfort makes you work harder. Suffering, strain and stress make you stronger and better.

Folks in this country are soft and weak. Working hard on training will only help you.
Many people blow on and on about a shooting war with leftists. And at the same time bitch and cry about a fucking ballistic helmet being too heavy or hot.
Or rifle plates for that matter.
Anybody too soft to work, train and suffer will not be worth a fuck once they get smoked in the real thing. God forbid that happens. But I read thousands of words this weekend where members here were insinuating they're ready to drop the hammer.
Get out of the AC, train hard and get tough.
I'm nearly fifty, fucked up, steel in my body and still train with real weight.
Not for war or whatever bullshit reason anyone has, but simply to push myself.

As far as Hard Head Veterans, half price, aramid fiber, super fit same ballistic protection and they support our military.
Fuck a bunch of overpriced, over marketed fanboy shit. And especially fuck TW.
I'm out.

Here's my .02.
First of all, this is America, we can. And, nobody can say you'll never need it, that's a fact.
Personally, weight, heat and discomfort makes you work harder. Suffering, strain and stress make you stronger and better.

Folks in this country are soft and weak. Working hard on training will only help you.
Many people blow on and on about a shooting war with leftists. And at the same time bitch and cry about a fucking ballistic helmet being too heavy or hot.
Anybody too soft to work, train and suffer will not be worth a fuck once they get smoked in the real thing. God forbid that happens. But I read thousands of words this weekend where members here were insinuating they're ready to drop the hammer.

As far as Hard Head Veterans, half price, aramid fiber, super fit same ballistic protection and they support our military.
I'm out.

I'll train when I train. I don't train when I walk-and-stalk. I want to be as comfortable as possible without stinging sweat pouring into my eyes. Until my 'yotes start shooting back (and I'm convinced that's gonna happen one day), I'll prefer non-ballistic lids while skulking about.

That said -- Eff TW. :devilish:

Here's my .02.

I'm out.

Just a friendly reminder, that virtue signaling rants like this are best left to the Pit. :rolleyes:

Just a friendly reminder, that virtue signaling rants like this are best left to the Pit. :rolleyes:
Virtue signalling?
Rant?
Agree or disagree I don't care.
We all have opinions, but I gave actual facts logic and reasons.
All the above matters in life, including decisions to buy shit.
Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I'll train when I train. I don't train when I walk-and-stalk. I want to be as comfortable as possible without stinging sweat pouring into my eyes. Until my 'yotes start shooting back (and I'm convinced that's gonna happen one day), I'll prefer non-ballistic lids while skulking about.

That said -- Eff TW. :devilish:
Eff ? Lost me there

Virtue signalling?
Rant?
Agree or disagree I don't care.
We all have opinions, but I gave actual facts logic and reasons.
All the above matters in life, including decisions to buy shit.
Sorry I hurt your feelings.

You didn't hurt my feeling, but I did leave you a very politely worded warning. Tread lightly...

You didn't hurt my feeling, but I did leave you a very politely worded warning. Tread lightly...
I thought some how I offended you. Glad I didn't.
And yes, it was very polite, with a dash of threat.
Just like the above threat.
Keep your threats, check you feelings and lighten up.
If you want to ban me, then do it. I'm flat tired of people swinging a power bat at people who have an opinion.
I like this site, helluva bunch of good dudes here, rare on the internet today for sure.
So, you do you sir, I won't lose any sleep nor will I think badly of anyone here.
But you pulled a dick move referring to virtue signalling. Yeah, that's pretty petty honestly.
Don't we have enough of that crap on TV, the news and every other place in this country already?
I didn't crap on the thread, but I did point out an aggregate of opinions here in a couple of paragraphs. Things that many here are pretty passionate about, not to mention very informed on.

Maybe I'm just from another generation, the one who just says things, and CAN actually disagree with another and still be friends.

Sadly that isn't the path today.

Alright, I'm done, ban away and it was fun here.

Peace.

Reactions: deersniper
I thought some how I offended you. Glad I didn't.
And yes, it was very polite, with a dash of threat.
Just like the above threat.
Keep your threats, check you feelings and lighten up.
If you want to ban me, then do it. I'm flat tired of people swinging a power bat at people who have an opinion.
I like this site, helluva bunch of good dudes here, rare on the internet today for sure.
So, you do you sir, I won't lose any sleep nor will I think badly of anyone here.
But you pulled a dick move referring to virtue signalling. Yeah, that's pretty petty honestly.
Don't we have enough of that crap on TV, the news and every other place in this country already?
I didn't crap on the thread, but I did point out an aggregate of opinions here in a couple of paragraphs. Things that many here are pretty passionate about, not to mention very informed on.

Maybe I'm just from another generation, the one who just says things, and CAN actually disagree with another and still be friends.

Sadly that isn't the path today.

Alright, I'm done, ban away and it was fun here.

Peace.

But before you go, was it worth it?

I'm interested in that dutch helmet. There is a lot of $500 stuff that just had the disadvantage of weighing 3.3lbs dry with no shit.

The $900 ULW weighs 1.26lbs dry. 2LBS off your head in a long working duration night op is fucking gold.
200 bucks a pound. Less money to attach things to my light helmet.
But before you go, was it worth it?
Really?
My life is over now?
Lost all meaning and value because our mod got onto me and I disagree with his wording?
Not really a big thing to me man, I promise I'll survive.
But thank you for asking, it means a lot.

Like I said, no skin off my nose one way or the other.

These sub forums are for discussing the various sub topics.

Lecturing about other people being weak, or how you still train with real weight at near 50 just smacks of virtue signaling about how hard you think you are. <shrug> Perhaps virtue signaling was too harsh, would bloviating been better?

Look, the reason the content and members here are generally a step above the average is for several reasons, but the primary ones are:

1. They typically don't tolerate fools or bullshit.

2. They tend to be a collection of quiet professionals.

To be sure there are exceptions, but by and far, most members (male and female) tend to say their piece without a need to chest thump. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but (to me anyways) that was how your comment came off (be glad it isn't 5 or 10 years ago, or you'd have gotten the "OAF" treatment).

Like I said, say your piece, speak your mind...just don't be too much of a dick about it. Take that sort of behavior/urge, and air it out in the pit (that's why the boss put it there).

P.S. You're not the only 50 year old still lifting heavy. There's a few of us here...

Reactions: Lowdown3
You dont need a ballistic helmet.

They're heavy and even as they get lighter, they're still heavy. Add all the shit that goes on them with NV and then wear a ballistics helmet out for a few hours and you'll be looking for a bump helmet.

There's also the misconception that they are designed to stop bullets; while it may be a added bonus (mainly due to the round having slowed down enough over distance/hitting something along the way) helmets are designed to stop displaced debris caused by explosions and indirect fire.

I was in the middle of all of that shit, and still wore a bump helmet.

They're heavy and even as they get lighter, they're still heavy. Add all the shit that goes on them with NV and then wear a ballistics helmet out for a few hours and you'll be looking for a bump helmet.

There's also the misconception that they are designed to stop bullets; while it may be a added bonus (mainly due to the round having slowed down enough over distance/hitting something along the way) helmets are designed to stop displaced debris caused by explosions and indirect fire.

I believe it was your funny little mustache that caught most of that debris. :p

@WillHugh I have a Revision Viper P4 high cut incoming for me to try out from a new friend of mine. If I like it, he may sell it to me. Any experience with Revision? How is their suspension system? Seems like it’s different than what’s mostly out there in the market.

@TheGerman Interestingly enough, the guy with the Revision helmet is a SOF guy and said something similar. I guess there’s some things I need to try out for myself, but how much does 1 lb make? For a higher tier ballistic helmet, you’re somewhere in the 2.5lb range...for Bump, 1.5 lbs.

Also, can you explain a little more behind the through process of wearing a bump helmet even with the knowledge you’ll be getting shot at? Does a bump offer any kind of protection from spalling or frag?

@TheGerman Interestingly enough, the guy with the Revision helmet is a SOF guy and said something similar. I guess there’s some things I need to try out for myself, but how much does 1 lb make? For a higher tier ballistic helmet, you’re somewhere in the 2.5lb range...for Bump, 1.5 lbs.

Also, can you explain a little more behind the through process of wearing a bump helmet even with the knowledge you’ll be getting shot at? Does a bump offer any kind of protection from spalling or frag?

Weight is weight. Weight on your head/neck becomes more noticable, faster. Add in the shroud, counterweight, PVS14 or whatever, mount, batteries, light, etc and it adds up quick. This is coming from someone who has a CRYE Airframe as well as a special run of a polymor Ops Core modeled after the Maritime.

As for the ballistic protection, look at the evolution of helmets since WW1. They started with just the 'Tommy' caps which were basically a dinner plate on top of your head. Then went to more coverage on the sides taken from German helmets which then continued in different inerations all the way through theACH/MICH. Requests for them to get smaller with more open/high cuts sides started due to A. weight B. proliferation of onboard comms and C. very rarely did soldiers face/use the protections these heavier helmets provided when looking at the big picture. We're slowly going backwards to where there's basically a dinnerplate (with an ARC rail) on your head. The current high cut helmets have coverage so relatively small now as far as the ballistic/non ballistic argument goes as 80% of the side of your head is unprotected.

Take the Airframe for instance, its Lvl IIIA rated, but on even their own spec sheet they only outline 9mm and then give 4 fragment simulator profiles. Plan A with any helmet is to not get shot in the head; but chances are with rifle calibers, it wouldn't matter anyways unless you got very lucky and the shot was taken from a distance where the exterior ballistics had vastly degraded before reaching you and/or the projectile lost most of its energy along the way to your head somehow (barrier penetration, richochet, etc). Crye's spec sheet speaks to this as they are more concerned with outlining different weight fragment protection than pistol rounds; fragments are far more common. And sure, the video of the Marine having his helmet bounce a sniper round that would have gotten him in the head did matter him for that day but Im talking in general.

To answer your question, I didn't worry about the helmet for a few reasons. I was primarily in either a convoy vehicle or a helicopter. If something blew up and threw fragments, my helmet was going to be the least of my concerns. The goal with the helmet was to have a platform for NV, comms and to not bounce my skull off the ring turret. Secondly, as far as fragments in general, the probability of getting a high enough speed fragment like Crye is mentioning it will stop is a bit moot as the chance that whatever ordnance or barrier blew up to send that fragment is/was close enough to where it probably wouldn't help, even if the helmet stopped the projectile, as the rest of me would likely be fucked anyways.

So sure, the ballistic 'works' but you need to look at the entire picture and see that it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme.

Last edited: