• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best value for money spotting scope

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Hi Guys,

I would like some opinions regarding the best value for money spotting scope?

Is there any benifit of HD compared to the old style scopes and what sort of power should I be looking at for a maximum shooting range of 1.6 kms?

Re: Best value for money spotting scope

What are you doing with it?

Most people are surprised to hear this, but optically the Pentax spotting scopes are as good as it gets. As an added bonus they are ridiculously inexpensive. If you are dragging it into the mountains going after sheep there are tougher spotting scopes.

If that were the case I would choose the 65mm Swarovski.

Peace

I have a konus konuspot 80. Really nice spotter for the money. There are quite a few reviews out there and tactical ones too. I'm at work on my cell so ill report back later.

I tried the konus and didnt have good luck outta it.

What is the price range that you can get something decent to get the job done? And a couple brands to look at?

I've used some of the celestron spotting scopes and their ultima line is pretty affordable and works well.

Is there any benifit of purchasing a Leupold over Konus with the same power settings?

I note that Konus is about 1/4 of the price and if some shooters who have had both could give their opinion it would be appreciated.

The Konuspot 80 I've used doesn't have the clearest optics in the world, but it also only costs about $200. I use one at the range to spot hits for .223 and .308. As long as mirage is not too active, I can spot both calibers out to 300yds no problem. Beyond 300yds, it just not clear enough for me to ID hits with it. I'm not sure you could see much of anything with it at 1.6kms that would be useful for targeting other than general movement.

Have the 100 version, on sale at Midway last year ~$325. GOod scope for the money, people with more expensive scope are surprised at the clarity. Problem with the 100 is that its big to carry around, but does have a 90 deg eyepiece and camera mounts.

What I need is a good monopole scope stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Draig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Konuspot 80 I've used doesn't have the clearest optics in the world, but it also only costs about $200. I use one at the range to spot hits for .223 and .308. As long as mirage is not too active, I can spot both calibers out to 300yds no problem. Beyond 300yds, it just not clear enough for me to ID hits with it. I'm not sure you could see much of anything with it at 1.6kms that would be useful for targeting other than general movement. </div></div>

You can't go wrong with the konus for the money. I had a girl on a bird watching website set up a group buy for my local forum I think we ended up getting them for 165 shipped.

I also should mention that I'm not trying to see the whole in the paper past 300 m but would like to be able to track the POI (kick of dirt etc.) and Vapour Trail to determin correction needed.

Find an older green krinkle painted B&L Sr. Super glass for usually around $200 for a descent one and sometimes cheaper on fleabay. Either a 20X or 30X eyepiece. Can't remember if they made a 25X. Also a 45X and 60X but as with all but the best you can't see chit with much clarity IMO.

I have one here that is near new and it is super clear for its day. Think the SR. was made from mid 50's into the 70's? Older darker green had the clamp on mount bracket and later lighter green had the 1/4"x20 mounting boss built in.

IMO US Optics Field Spotting Scope

Would a spotting scope really provide any better view than just looking through your high quality 42 power 56mm rifle scope?

If so, why?

Jim G

Reason for the spotting scope are: ease of observation you do not have to stay on your gun which reduces fatigue, and you can transition between eyes without changing body position, having a spotting scope allows for your buddy to spot for you as you concern yourself with sight alignment sight picture proper trigger squeeze and follow through, typically a larger objective means better field of view and greater light transmission with the spotting scope, spotting scopes sometimes have stronger magnification, and there are times that you will want to observe something without pointing your rifle at it. Rifle scopes have come a long way and yes there are some that have pretty high magnification.

I was looking at Leupold mark 4 20 - 40 x 80 and the cheapest I could find was for $2000. That's to pricey for me. I think im going to have to get a Konus.

While the Konus may be good for the money, it is no where near the quality of the higher end spotting scopes.

Depending on how you are going to use it, and your budget, if you buy the konus, you'll likely end up buying the better spotting scope later on, and you'll have spent the extra 200 on the konus.
Especially for shooting at 1.6kms. For that kind of distance you'll need to spend close to $1000, and need a pretty serious tripod.

For the money, the pentax 100 or 80mm cant be beat. You can set one up for about 1000.

Around a $1000.00 max. But for that I would want to be able to see a Vapour trail out as far as possible with a HD TMR reticle or Mildot for horizontal and vertical offset.

Sounds like a Pentax is the go. I'll look around for what you suggest.

The Pentax 100 mm is a discontinued line. I have know idea why.

Also for $1000 i was hoping for a reticle. I might have to wait around for a second hand Leupold.

any ideas for spotting .308s on paper at a max of 700yrds with mil dots. lowest price please.

+1 for the Kowa. I was impressed by these scopes a while back. They are not as portable as the MK4 there hey are hard to beat for clarity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Pentax 100 mm is a discontinued line. I have know idea why.

Also for $1000 i was hoping for a reticle. I might have to wait around for a second hand Leupold. </div></div>

You want the 63, 65, or 80mm Pentax.
The 65 is an incredible scope for the money and all any hunter or range rat needs.

The USO scope is OK and about a grand with X hair.
Not near the same class optically as the Pentax.

HD smf ED are the same thing, just a different name. Written out it is Extra Low Dispersion glass. Reduces color change and image warping among other things.

For loads and loads of information about non-rifle-scope optics check into the bird watching forums. They are not big on range finding reticules, but their entire hobby depends on their optics and those guys will spend as much time money and research as many hide members spend on their entire rigs.

Being you are in Oz, you will have different brand names, pricing and currency than us yanks.

REF: http://www.birdforum.net/forum.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another respected bird reviewer.
These guys are money is no object types BTW.
Better View Desired </div></div>

I notice they do not mention Theron Optics (US ssles only)

The Theron Saker is to 65 mm spotters what the SS fixed power and the Wonders optics are to rifle scopes.

IE major value out of proportion to the selling price.

Interesting.
I looked up the spotting scope and indeed the are using the same high quality eyepiece mount as Pentax. To be honest the price is so low something doesn't seem right...I have been wrong many times before, but I have a hard time imagining that a company can build a precise optic platform for $300.00.

I would have to see one before I considered buying it.

Cheers

I am pretty sure the Pentax @ $600 US plus eyepiece (another $250)will be a better scope.

Likewise a Nikon fieldscope @ $1600.00

(ED glass)

I have Saker but have yet to have a sunny day to really test it. I admit it does grey out a bit @ max power, but the color is right on with no pin-cussion, parallelogram or astigmatism errors.

I live on a lake that is 550 yd one way from my back porch and 1000 on the other. I do not feel it capable of showing .224 holes in paper at either distance, but it will show movement of an 8" knock down. (watching some boaters @ 900+/- and could make out facial expressions) @ 550 I cannot make out the #s on license plates, but I can sure tell everything going on at the gas station!

The original question was "best value for the money" and for +/-$275 shipped I have not read one review in this price range or ever close that can beat this scope.

The Nikon Prostaff retails for $100 more does not have ED glass and has color and pin-cushion issues according to all reports.

The Celestron Regal costs $160 more and is HEAVY but it gets raves for clarity.

Give Pat a call, he is a champ of a guy to talk to. I called him on the day that PayPal hosed him and he was stressed to the max, but took the time to deal with my ignorant butt, and was very friendly and polite to boot.

The reason he is so cheap is the same reason SWFA's SS line of rifle scopes is so cheap, direct sales, no middle man and word of mouth advertising.

If I had the greenbacks I would feel really good about one of his MAG82s (comes with two eyepieces) but I do not so I got the best I could afford.

As far as the MAG82s go I wonder if they are made inthe same plant as the high end NIkons?

http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-75x82-ED-Fieldscope-P42442.aspx