• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best VARMINT bullet for .223 in 16in barrel

ve2mbt

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Amos, Canada
Hello,

i'am building .223 rem. with a 16in barrel, 1:8 twist, i will use it to relative short distance, 250yards and below, what bullet do you suggest for gopher

Thank's for your help

Respectfully

Marc

Re: best VARMINT bullet for .223 in 16in barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">55 gr or 60 gr VMax</div></div>

My 16" 1/9" twist prefers 50 gr. Vmax out to 300 yds. I can shoot a ragged hole at 100 yds. with these bullets and IMR 8208 XBR or Vithavuori N140.

I would maybe give those new 53Vmax a look. Especially if you wanna stretch the legs out a little further....

vmax are great little bullets.

Also, id been keen to see Varmint Nades as they are advertised as very destructive.

All of the above are good suggestions, but i settled on 55 grain nosler ballistic tips or 55 grain vmax (based on which ever is available at the time). I'd say whatever your rifle likes the best.

My 16" guns are both ARs; one has a 1:7 twist and the other has a 1:9. 52 grain AMAXs have shot very well through both rifles, and Im playing with the 60 grain vmax but i havent seen anything that makes me inclined to switch yet as most of my shooting has been under 200 yards with these rifles. I've had the best groups with the AMAX but availability and bulk packaging pushed me to the 55s. I've shot some prairie dogs with the 52 AMAX out of a .22-250 and the results were spectacular. No varmint experience with that bullet in .223 though, just paper.

I have killed several coyotes with 55 grain ballistic tips and the wounds have been impressive. I can't wait to go dust some prairie dogs with these rifles.

thank's for your help, i honestly tough that with a 1:8 twist, i have to stick with 60gr or heavier... the reason i'am asking you this info is we are NOT allowed to have semi-auto rifle with 16in. barrel in canada (they will be restricted wich mean home AND some range WITH transport permis ONLY), i know that most of you have AR-15 or clones in that barrel lenght. Now, i'am building a remington 700 with a action i have importer from brownell's with a lohar-walter barrel and it will be a finished 16in barrel, i plan to drop that in a new chassis build here in canada, it will not be a AR but it will LOOK LIKE and since it's a bolt, 10 round mag will be allowed as the chassis use regular AICS mag

thank's to all for the help, i have a very good idea of where to start now...

repectfully

Marc

Good luck finding the 53gr V-max! I talked to hornady the other day and they will not make another run of these till the end of the month!!!! Yes, the BC of the 53 is closer to the BC of 60+ but you can run them a little faster. I went ahead and backordered a couple hundred.

V-maxes:
40gr=.200bc
50gr=.242bc
53gr=.290bc
55gr=.252bc
60gr=.256bc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">52g Amax work nicely as well. </div></div>
+1 on 52 grain AMax.

60 gr nosler bt with bc of .270...these seem to be very popular also as most of the time they are on back order. Good accuracy and terminal performance.