• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing best way to fill in metal knicks and chips?

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
i have a end cap to my defender suppressor and it has some healthy dings and knicks in it from the previous owner ( jack ass ) whats the best way to fill them before refinishing ?

i dout bondo or jb weld would be acceptable, it is aluminum, some one also suggested using silver solder

thanks for the heads up in advance, and sorry for the off the wall question.

heck while iam at it i might as well ask... if you refinish a suppressor say an aac one can you paint over every thing just fill the info back in ( serial and all that ) with white paint and be good to go or will paint fill all that info in and make it unreadable ?

Re: best way to fill in metal knicks and chips?

Seriously?

Why does it matter if it has nicks in it? Just shoot it and enjoy it.

i dont shoot that much and would rather it look decent any way

Silver solder isn't going to want to bond with AL very well.

If they aren't too deep they can be filed out and blended with emery. I do this often on the bottom sides of actions prior to bedding. (especially Remmy's and Savages! BLECH!)

some are slightly deep... almost like you would wanna put spot filler in like bondo spot filler or wood spot filler not that you would use wood spot filler just using it as an example.

its sort of like you used pliers on something and gouged it all up

Nothing sticks all that well to aluminum except aluminum. If they are real deep you can tig weld some AL on and sand flat again. Either that or a file, some emery cloth and some elbow grease will do the trick.

I would imagine any kind two part filler will either not stick or not withstand the heat. That goes for paint as well.

never though about needing something to with stand the kg coat... that leaves few choices lol

Have you contacted AAC about refinishing the suppressor? Given the heat and pressure a can has to endure, doing anything that might weaken it such as grinding down past the dents or welding them might be risky. AAC would be best qualified to do the work.

well i dont wanna grind any thing and the knicks are not on the tube, they are on the locking housing, i dont wanna gind at most i just wanna take like 700 grit paper and lightly sand maybe use some wet dry paper

and then maybe sand blast the locking unit (take it off the suppressor) if i was to kg coat it

If the gouges are deep I'd TIG them up and lap the face smooth in a lathe with a sanding block. If they're just shallow scrapes and scratches then use some white epoxy and then lap it smooth in a lathe with a sanding block then refinish.

well thanks for the heads up.... ill have to see what i can do

? if it's a safe queen - who cares what the chips are filled in with - not like it's going to get too hot

Just Saying
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont shoot that much and would rather it look decent any way </div></div>

We can tell......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont shoot that much and would rather it look decent any way </div></div>

We can tell...... </div></div>

its the truth... if its going to be all nicked up at least i would like to have the story behind it.

But the question still remains...... WHY DOES IT MATTER?

Every can I have has some usage marks. Thats what they are for, not to look pretty at the range. In your use of it, expect some ouch marks. Are you buying it, and going thru the tax stamp wait just to make it a safe queen?

Don't fret over the little things.

yes, i want it to be a safe queen just a collectors item... all i do is collect... out side of my 308 rifle i just shoot things once in a while when iam board sorry iam not gi joe like the rest of you guys

The irony of this thread (in particular the participants) is CLASSIC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The irony of this thread (in particular the participants) is CLASSIC.</div></div>

quit profiling !

When you have sand in your vag do you ask someone how to remove it first?

Do you ever do anything on your own free will? Fucking try something and if it dont work then try something else, jesus h christ you have lead a sheltered fucking life and need to get out of moms basement more often.

You worry and sweat all the smallest things. You call the guy that sold you the can a jackass, but since it is a collectors item, then you should be happy that you got one at all ... so how big of a jackass is the seller now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you have sand in your vag do you ask someone how to remove it first?

Do you ever do anything on your own free will? Fucking try something and if it dont work then try something else, jesus h christ you have lead a sheltered fucking life and need to get out of moms basement more often.

You worry and sweat all the smallest things. You call the guy that sold you the can a jackass, but since it is a collectors item, then you should be happy that you got one at all ... so how big of a jackass is the seller now? </div></div>

its a collectors item to me.... thats all just part of my collection and i want it to look nice
smile.gif

Try "Metal 2 Metal" it's an epoxy that has aluminum in it, very hard when dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try "Metal 2 Metal" it's an epoxy that has aluminum in it, very hard when dry. </div></div>

i was thinking something like that. thanks for the heads up

They sell an aluminum repair rod...kind of like brazing rod for aluminum, that only requires low heat to apply. I think Harbor Freight sells it (and other places) You only need a propane torch to apply it. I've used it to repair alum boats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you have sand in your vag do you ask someone how to remove it first?

You worry and sweat all the smallest things. You call the guy that sold you the can a jackass, but since it is a collectors item, then you should be happy that you got one at all ... so how big of a jackass is the seller now? </div></div>

its a collectors item to me.... thats all just part of my collection and i want it to look nice
smile.gif
</div></div>

You bought a can as a collectors item.... so its somewhat valuable? Probably not.... but anyway, your going to further deface it by trying all of these filler methods. Its pretty stupid to jack around with a suppressors tube knowing if you screw it up you just wasted your money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you have sand in your vag do you ask someone how to remove it first?

Tell us how you really feel Outsy....
whistle.gif

My two cents. Never alter a firearm or attachment, in any way that will not withstand normal use requirements for it. No epoxy on parts that under normal working conditions can become smoking hot. Although it may be a collector/safe queen
item for you, it may not be to the next person who owns it, and may wish to actually use it. Repairs should be made by a person knowledgeable and qualified to bring the part up to its intended working specification, or, leave it as it is... with honest wear.
As for the story.... dime a dozen.... it is what it is.