• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Best way to learn my scope/LR shooting

LAKsupply

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Wyo
I'll start by saying I've not shot past about 500 yards. I just got rid of a 700P/McMillan/8.5-25x50 MK4 combo in favor of something a little lighter and a little more fun. I'm putting together a 25wssm AR-15. It's not going to be a LR beast, but it's going to double as my hunting rifle and will still have enough poop to get a 115gr to 1k. The scope is a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42... decided on that because of weight and range of magnification. I wanted something that will work a ways out as well as for those 60yd shots when you don't want the deer out of the FOV in two steps.

I do roll my own loads, and I do have a chronograph. I do know how to build a dope sheet, and somewhat dope for wind. I'm looking for a way to become familiar with my setup prior to shooting it at a distance. Can anybody offer any advice on how to do this? I know there is a LR simulator out there, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I checked out the demo and a couple of the answers seemed a bit off... like how do you get more than 530 yards range for a target that's 19" wide and measures less than a mil? Am I off or is the program off?

Either way... I want some way to practice without shooting. It would make it a lot easier to put time in since I can't be somewhere I can shoot past 200 yards much right now. It's about a half hour away, and there's not enough daylight to get out there and do much right now.

Re: Best way to learn my scope/LR shooting

I don't understand the ? Are u trying to see if your dope is accurate for downrange zeroing or are u trying to rangefind with your reticle?

The only way to see if your dope is correct is to shoot it at distance.

I learned reticle-rangefinding right out the front window of my old house. There were signs of varying dimensions that ran out to beyond 1000 yds. so i went out 1 day and measured them and lasered them back to the house. I then established a sort of "optics laboratory", if u will, with various "standards" that i could play with reticle rangefinding using multi-stadia reticles in 2nd and 1st focal plane scopes. There was also a sign post at 90-some yds. that allowed me to get IPHY measurments on (most street sign posts have .25" holes drilled in them at 1" intervals on centers).

Re: Best way to learn my scope/LR shooting

The long range shooting simulator for by Shooter Ready is a great program. The program is designed to get you learning the equations and other variables (wind, altitude) without having to go out and burn a lot of expensive ammo.

With that being said, the ballistics software (Sierra infinity)used to get their zeros doesnt match anything that I use, based on the BC's and elevation given in the program. I use the program for exactly what its designed for: entertainment and fun free practice.

If you have a Droid based cell phone you can download the new SHOOTER program, which was written by a great member here on the Hide. Its free and very accurate for the situations I have entered.

Another option to help you out could be the MIL-Dot Master. This is a great aid especially if you know how to make a dope chart or can calculate the bullet drop for a given range. Very fast and pretty dang accurate. It can be used for MOA or Mil.

And the last thing that I can suggest based off my understanding of the question is simply going out and shooting. Everything that a ballistic software program, Mil-dot master, etc tells you needs to be verified by you in your gun and then you can set up your own range card for a given altitude or location with a temperature range and you'll be set.

Again, I dont know exactly what your asking for here, but I hope this gives you a few good ideas. Good Luck.

-Nate