• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Best way to mount a scope w/o canting?

seeker120

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2009
IL
What tools do you find helpful in centering the reticle?
I will be using Talley steel rings to mount a Zeiss scope on remington 700(7mm Remington Magnum)

Is it worth putting an anticant device on the scope after it is mounted correctly to make sure the gun is not canted while shooting? Will be shooting out to 600 yards.

Thanks Seeker120

Re: Best way to mount a scope w/o canting?

Well sir there are numerous ways to skin that cat.
Lowlights feeler gauges, a wieghted string on a distant object,
a wheeler scope leveling kit.
I would highly recommend exploring this forum and using the search function prior to asking questions. Your answers are here, but do your homework first. This is just a suggestion.

Try this:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Good luck.

Feeler gauges/playing cards + plumb line has worked for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feeler gauges/playing cards + plumb line has worked for me. </div></div>

+1

you can get a little key chain level at a hardware store and set it on the base (one piece is easiest) and secure the rifle and use the level on the scope. the feeler guage is a cool trick too

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I will follow up on the sugggestions.

Seeker120

Level the receiver, lock it in that position, set a plumb bob line at 100 yds. align the verticle in the scope with the plumb line, re-check as you tighten the ring screws.

Yes a rail mounted not a scope mounted level will help prevent rifle cant for long shots.

You also might consider bedding the scope rail first, one piece steel rails are the best to use.