• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to mount red dot to a scoped rifle ?

Arevalosocom

Wizard
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2007
Hobart, IN
Fellas

Looking for advice on added a red dot to a scoped rifle. I know many of the newer fancy mounts have pic rails to add a red dot to a say 5-25 x 56 optic. But assuming you have rings instead a 1 piece mount anyone have suggestions for a good ring mount that can be added to place a dot say above / at 12 o'clock position?

Depends on the manufacturer of the rings, if they even support something like that. For instance, Badger has the Accessory Ring Cap (ARC) system that works with their normal 1" rings as well as the COMM one piece, but then you need to source plates and adapters for the different microdots. For instance, this is just one piece (the ARC) https://www.rooftopdefense.com/prod...arc-accessory-ring-cap-for-30mm-scope-mounts/

Again, depends on the manufacturer. If you're no using a gas gun or something else that has a large picatinny section at the 12 you're pretty much fucked. If you are on a bolt gun with a pic rail, you can look into a 45 degree offset from someone like Knights, Trijicon, GG&G, etc. that matches whatever dot you want. Not as nice as piggyback at 12 o'clock like you want but an option nonetheless.

Something like this:

weaver_48373_thumbnut_30mm_scope_mount_1358183207000_910087.jpg

Reactions: Arevalosocom
I personally think the 35* and 45* offset mounts are nice for competition and gun games type stuff but I have grown to like the 12 o clock rds mount that sits up higher for passive aiming through nods and while keeping the rifle upright and not having to worry about cant and all that. Both options definitely have pros/cons.

With that being said, i will be following this because i have a 14.5” AR with a razor 1-6 in a Badger COMM and I am looking at the best option for mounting a rds at 12 o clock.

I have mine mounted to the slide on my FNP Tactical .45 The slide was milled out at the factory and the gun came with mounts for different sights. An idea whose time has come for shooters with less than optimal eyesight.

I put an offset on a rifle this spring and for the life of me I can’t remember what I used, other than that my first 2-3 attempts barely worked or failed all together. I’d have to look through a bunch of online invoices to be sure. Spent way too much on an Arisaka offset that didn’t really give me enough room to use the buttons and wasn’t centered over the bore. It’s more of a light mount and I was working off M lock slots in the chassis. I finally moved the scope/rings around and freed up enough real estate to use a rail mounted one.
8877F5D6-100B-4569-A4CE-1CBE41F470D7.jpeg

Last edited:
31CE6F6C-170D-41B8-A42A-67E415E6A9CD.png
Here is how I did mine. It’s an Aero M5/308 build with Leupold mounts, scope one piece and DPP 45*.

I haven’t shot it enough to matter (got them both close at 25 yards), but it’s useable doing dry runs in my house.

I’ll try the other pics, in the next post. They aren’t loading.

Fellas

Looking for advice on added a red dot to a scoped rifle. I know many of the newer fancy mounts have pic rails to add a red dot to a say 5-25 x 56 optic. But assuming you have rings instead a 1 piece mount anyone have suggestions for a good ring mount that can be added to place a dot say above / at 12 o'clock position?
You want 12 o’clock?
Nightforce Multi mount. Can also do like 1 or 11 o’clock also.

D065F3C6-ECA1-40A8-A958-9C63F40126DA.jpeg