• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to pull a bullet???

splean

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
On the Western Front
So over a couple of years I have collected a few rounds that have been inproperly loaded. By "improper" I mean they have too much, too little or the wrong type of powder. For the most part they are made up of pretty good components and I would hate to throw them all out. I have tried the impact hammer-type puller. With a lot of work and cursing I can get a few done, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I would like to save the bullets and casses. I would also like to pull them fairly quickly and easily. What do you say?

Re: Best way to pull a bullet???

RCBS collet type puller. Not that expensive and it will save components for use somewhere else. The collets fit right in the single stage presses and pull the projectile out without damage (usually).

+1 for the collet style. Rifle bullets are usually seated too deeply, not heavy enough, or some combination of the two for an inertia style puller.

I happen to prefer the inertia type puller to the collet style pullers. I own both and whenever any bullets need to come off, the "hammer" comes out. I've just never had the best luck with the collet pullers.

I prefer the Forster collet type. I have both RCBS and Forster (as well as the hammer). Both the hammer and collet have their good points...the hammer works well when the bullet is too short for good gripping or is a cast bullet. The Forster, once the unit is set so the handle is where you like to operate for opening and closing, the collets can be interchanged without having to reset the die body. The RCBS collets will spin in the die and randomly change the operating position. Both work equally well. I've pulled many thousands of bullets over the past 50 years...used to do "Mexican Match" for competition when I was shooting with some Navy teams back in the day. By the way...if the bullets have been seated for a long time they may be difficult to pull...just set your seating die to seat them a few hundredths deeper and it will break the bond, making them much easier to pull. Also is necessary for old military rounds with the asphaltic varnish bullet sealant. JMHO

I recently bought Hornady's collet puller and it works very well and doesn't mark up the bullets at all.

I use the RCBS collet puller, and it works ok. I have broken then metal handle on top of the die. It needs to be heavier duty, and longer for more leverage. But it works ok, and pulls bullets fine.

I prefer collet-type.
I have used had both the RCBS and the Hornady and prefer the Hornady because I use it in my T-7 press and the handle works better when the tool is mounted next to another die like the T-7 allows. Other than that preference, they both worked fine for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS collet puller, and it works ok. I have broken then metal handle on top of the die. It needs to be heavier duty, and longer for more leverage. But it works ok, and pulls bullets fine. </div></div>

you don't have to crank it down tight to grip the bullet. Just slightly snug and it pulls with no bullet marks.

I have used the Hornady collet bullet puller for a few years now. I tried the hammer type before I got something of my own and didn't care for it much. The collet type doesn't require a lot of force in my experience, but the down side is that you must purchase all the different size collets. I have found that some will overlap bullet diameters, but works best with the correct size of course.

Keep in mind that when you pull a bullet from a loaded round, you will need to re-size the case in order to get the correct neck tension. I have taken out the decaper pins in some dies in order to save the primer, but I find that to be a pain and now I just plan on re-priming.

Anyone else have any insight to a better system?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS collet puller, and it works ok. I have broken then metal handle on top of the die. It needs to be heavier duty, and longer for more leverage. But it works ok, and pulls bullets fine. </div></div>

you don't have to crank it down tight to grip the bullet. Just slightly snug and it pulls with no bullet marks. </div></div>
Some of them you do! When they keep slipping out of the collet, the only way to pull it is to go tighter. Most of the bullets I pull have been from load testing hunting rifles with a higher neck tension. On 2 of the 223 WSSM loads I needed to pull, I seperated the jacket and lead core at the case neck. Half the copper jacket stayed in the case, and I pulled out the lead core and the other half of the copper jacket. I hate the WSSM (and some of the WSM) brass. I think the mfg's make the brass from other parent cases sized down, and the case necks are insane thick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS collet puller, and it works ok. I have broken then metal handle on top of the die. It needs to be heavier duty, and longer for more leverage. But it works ok, and pulls bullets fine. </div></div>

i too use the same set up as you, what i done to fix the problem of breaking off the handle is, i made a 3/4" X 6" hardwood dowel drilled a slightly smaller hole in the dowel and forced it on the steel handle all the way to the end. works great, no more hurting hand, easier to torque down on the more stubborn bullets.

If you want to re-use the components then the inertia type puller will give you the best results IMO.
The trick to the inertia puller is to have a hard, heavy mass to hammer against like an anvil.
I use a 1" steel plate and it usually takes about three light swings to do the job.
I have a collet style puller and it seems to slightly deform the bullets.

I have had the best luck with the inertia style hammer. The bullets are completely 100% reusable, versus the collet puller or the side cutter method. Like the post above states, a solid object to beat against will help a bunch. Just my .02

Inertia pullers work best when struck against a really solid surface, like a concrete pad, or a hunk of railway rail. Resilient surfaces absorb the impact and diffuse it, requiring a lot more effort. Plastic bullet tips can suffer.

Collet for rifle bullets, hammer for hollow points in pistol cartridges.

I hold a 3"x4" piece of 1" steel plate in my left hand and the inertia puller in my right. Swing the hammer into the plate and viola!!

I started off using the inertia puller and it worked fine for rifles. The powder spilling everywhere was annoying though so I switched to the collet type. Picked up a Hornady Cam Lock for about $20 if I remember right.

I use the Hornady bullet puller in my Co-Ax which works well.