• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best way to remove an AR15 barrel?

Pogo57

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Redmond, Wa
I want to move a barrel to a new upper and also re-use the upper that it's already on. It seems that the 'wiggle it' method might not be the best.

I've thought about taking a dowel about the size of the bolt carrier and using it and a rubber hammer to tap out the barrel enough to get it started.

What's the best way?

Re: Best way to remove an AR15 barrel?

I'm confused; have you removed the barrel nut and gas tube already? Once that's done, if they're tight I tap on the gas block with a rubber mallet until the barrel starts moving on it's own.

If you've removed the gas block, then yeah, a wooden dowel might work to persuade it to start moving. You could also clamp the barrel in padded vise jaws and gently wiggle the upper receiver until it slides off - or smack it with a rubber mallet.

Haven't touched a thing yet...waiting for some parts to come in. Wiggling it seemed like it might loosen the area on the upper where the pin goes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogo57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't touched a thing yet...waiting for some parts to come in. Wiggling it seemed like it might loosen the area on the upper where the pin goes in. </div></div>You do know there's a nut holding the barrel on, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogo57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't touched a thing yet...waiting for some parts to come in. Wiggling it seemed like it might loosen the area on the upper where the pin goes in. </div></div>You do know there's a nut holding the barrel on, right? </div></div>

You mean that round thingy that I've installed on the other 4 I've built?
laugh.gif

I'm just checking to see if there is a trick, since none of the manuals ever show swapping out a barrel and I don't want to screw up what has been a .6" upper or barrel.

Hrm.... Having installed a barrel or two on a AR-15, I'm compelled to say that you are probably using a clamshell upper reciever action block.

When you use one of these, the action flexes when in a vice. That flexing acts as a slight clamping action on the barrel. Once the barrel nut is removed, loosen the action block and the barrel should slip out with very little effort.

I may not be understanding your question 100%. But if you have installed 4 in the past you are on the right track.

With the upper receiver group off of the lower receiver, remove the bolt carrier group and the Charging handle.
Remove any rail or hand guards.
Drive out gas tube roll pin.
Pull the gas tube out through the upper receiver.
Loosen barrel nut. Some are very tight. You may need a pipe for leverage. I like to have someone pull the wrench into the Barrel nut as I press down. this keeps the teeth on the wrench engaged on the teeth of the barrel nut. The pulling in overrides the spring of the delta ring.
pull barrel out of upper receiver.

The use of an upper receiver block, or a clam shell is the only way I know how to do it.

If you are looking for something else, say so.

Jack

I've seen a few with loctite between the the barrel extension and the receiver. A little heat, like to 400* with a propane torch, releases it.