• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best way to ship rifle in pelican case with no box?

Meyer1784

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2017
Shipping a rifle out this week in a pelican 1750 but I have no box. What’s the best and simplest way to get this shipped? Thanks for comments and help.

Matt

Why not separate the action from the stock and optics?
Send the action in a smaller box.
Something that doesn't scream "GUN!"

Stop by your local Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse and ask them for a rifle case box. They will have a least a few in the back and have always been happy to give me one when i was in the same situation in the past.

I usually wind up making a box to fit over the gun case or pelican case so it looks hopefully less conspicuous.

I've shipped rifles just like this. I put 2 locks on the case. Mail the keys to the buyer's FFL. Put a shipping label on the case and send it one it's way.

Stop by your local Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse and ask them for a rifle case box. They will have a least a few in the back and have always been happy to give me one when i was in the same situation in the past.

This has always worked for me. Also sending the action in a separate box allows you to claim "metal parts" rather than "Gun"!

I shipped one like that, put Masterlock combo locks on it and told the smith the combo over the phone. Just slap the shipping info on the outside of the Pelican. I would strongly suggest purchasing insurance for the entire value of the rifle though, because it'll be an easy target for sticky fingers.

I put the metal banding material on the outside, and have giant stickers that say "precision instruments fragile"
I always ship second day air if it's far enough to get in the air. Less time in the system, less chance for something to happen.

something to consider......Pelican cases dont necessarily scream "gun".......ive had more people ask me what instrument i play when traveling with pelican cases.....

slap a few "Fender" stickers on that case and no one will bat an eye.

I've shipped rifles I've sold in the past along with the case. I usually ship Fedex because they don't force me to ship overnight. Insure for full value and lock the case after you check the item in at the shipping company.

As an entity that ships and receives firearms on a regular basis for builds and re-barreling, I can offer you the following.

1. Ship only the parts needed. If I'm re-barreling a rifle, we don need the stock here and there is no need to trip over spare parts. This lessens the burden on your smith to keep track of parts he/she is not working on as part of your build. Especially expensive optics that are easily removed.
2. Avoid shipping in a gun case. There are several reasons for this. One is that is tells the carrier exactly what he/she is transporting, so the probability of loss, theft of damage goes way up. Two is that it is yet another item that your smith will have to keep track of for return. Our stated policy is that we will charge extra for gun case return, as we refuse to ship a firearm in one in most circumstances; for the reasons listed.
3. Wrap everything with padded wrap of some sort so that parts do not contact each other. Then wrap or tape all of them together so they ship as one unit. This will keep your smith from losing any parts in the peanut fill or paddings, thus making inventorying your parts easier and less prone to loss. If you must have multiple, separate wrappings in a box, be sure that they cannot be confused with the loose fill.
4. Most counter help at most all carriers are not fully aware of their own policies, much less the law. When they tell you that you cannot ship your firearm for any reason, it is most likely because they are libtards and want to make your life difficult when they see anyone with a firearm. When this happens, we offer to use the carrier's call tag option. Anyone that is setup with an account with FedEx or UPS can issue a call tag. The carrier will send the driver to you to pick up your boxed rifle, with a lable and and take your package away. Thus you will avoid all of that counter bull shit.

Reactions: shoobe01
No outer box on a Pelican case is never a problem no matter what is being shipped. Lock the case for sure, wire tie the other lock points if they exist, and it can be a good idea to tape around the lock and latches so they don't bang around and get snagged on things, as another prevention of opening AND tampering.

Tape the labels on directly, and make sure they stick well. Consider a backup external label, and always include full to/from contact info (email, phone, not just addresses) INSIDE the case, top item, first thing they see when opened, in case the exterior is damaged and they need to try to get it to you. For sensitive items, this will also mean they see paper before gun (yes, even if it's visible around it, their mindset is to find paperwork) so it will slow down their OMG A Gun reaction if that case does occur.

USPS registered mail. It has to be signed for each time it changes hand. Only way to ship stuff like guns and thermal optics.