• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best WSM Action

Cegorach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
Juneau, AK
I am looking at doing a 7mm WSM build and have been going around in circles deciding what to build off of. I realize that a long action is required to wring the most out of this case, but I am more than happy to compromise some powder space and seating flexibility for the convenience of a short action, so that is the way I am going. I would appreciate any insights people have into what action works best for these fat cases.

These are actions I am considering, but I am open to anything if it works better.

R700
Defiance
Surgeon 591
Badger M2008
Borden
70 Classic/SPR

Re: Best WSM Action

I've built 7wsms on SPR and 700 actions. Both worked equally well.

I'm in the same boat trying to figure this one out for a future build. So far, I've only looked at the 591.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at doing a 7mm WSM build and have been going around in circles deciding what to build off of. I realize that a long action is required to wring the most out of this case, but I am more than happy to compromise some powder space and seating flexibility for the convenience of a short action, so that is the way I am going. I would appreciate any insights people have into what action works best for these fat cases.

These are actions I am considering, but I am open to anything if it works better.

R700
Defiance
Surgeon 591
Badger M2008
Borden
70 Classic/SPR
</div></div>
Pretty tough to do better than a Borden Alpine Mag, has a 2.75" port and feed rails designed to feed the shortmags , and comes cut for the wyatts extended magazine, and a very thought out fire control!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am happpy with my 7WSM on a Badger. </div></div>

The Badger is very appealing to me because of the short bolt throw. How has feeding been with it? Also, do you happen to know the magazine port length on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon makes an excellent action and they are made with a wire edm out of chromoly. </div></div>
Race ways are cut using EDM, but this method is not exclusive to Surgeon!

Here's a really silly question that no one seems to have asked.

What do you plan on doing with this build?

I would NOT build a hunting rifle out of a Badger, too heavy.

I like the 591, but again probably heavy for a lightweight hunter.

Stiller and Defiance maybe for a hunter.

I've been trying to figure this out for myself for a 7mm saum build. I'm thinking Borden, Surgeon RSR, and Defiance....can't decide...

Ever think about the action that was designed for these? The Winchester WSM length action with CRPF. Although, some say the PRF is tighter.

Cegorach,

I would take a Surgeon 591. Case closed. I personally own one and it is everything it's billed up to - and then some. Smooth, straight, and some heft to make your rifle balance great. Whether you plan to use it on the bench or in the field is immaterial- it just flat works fantastic. A great all around action.

I like your quote by the way. Senna left us way too soon.

Jason

"The WSM Actions have the same outer dimensions as our standard short action with the exceptions of the Loading port that has been opened up to a length of 3.110” in order to reliably feed the WSM cartridges." --From Surgeons website. Thats the route I would go, slap on a seekins wsm dbm and call it good.

Yea, I am not particularly concerned with weight. It isn't going to be a hunting gun.

I have a Model 70 Stainless in .270 WSM that I was thinking about having rebarreled to 300 WSM. I wonder if the Model 70s require action mods to convert between WSM chamberings...

No mods needed lw8. I'm about to build a 7wsm on a tikka. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

In case you didn't know. Surgeon makes the wsm action in the RSR action as well. Not just the 591. I have a 7wsm built on one.

You might look at Stillers they make great actions and are very competatively priced.

I have a WSM built on a Defiance medium which is a SA. I've always looked at it like this, GAP builds most of theirs to run a max length of 2.95 and they shoot great. Get a Defiance and Seekins WSM DBM and don't look back.

I built a 300 WSM on a Borden Alpine a couple years ago and I like it and the extra .100" of the Wyatt's extended box, gives me more than enough length. Also have a Winny, but it is not nearly as smooth as the Alpine, nor do I expect it to be so.

Had a Borden here this week for the first time and for sure I have to say they are a seriously sweet action. Ive used them all at this stage but something tells me Ill be going for Borden again.

I've been fortunate enough to have a good friend let me borrow his single-shot F-class gun in 7mm WSM when he's not using it and the Pierce Engineering custom action it's based on is nice enough that I bought a repeater SA from Pierce and am building a tactical rifle on it:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...138#Post2476138

It's a nice piece with all CNC work. The barrel tennon threads and the action screws are all thread milled instead of tapped and the raceways are wire EDM-ed for a very smooth ride for the bolt.

I used this as a resource when shopping around as well
http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

Of course I'm only referencing what I have experience with so Bordens, Surgeons, Nesika and Big Horns etc. might be equally nice.

Got my surgeon rsr wsm yesterday, it's pretty slick for less than a grand with rail and lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ackleyfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon makes an excellent action and they are made with a wire edm out of chromoly. </div></div>
Race ways are cut using EDM, but this method is not exclusive to Surgeon! </div></div>
Was exclusivity ever mentioned in my comment. Nope. Just offering a suggestion for someone who asked with a trait that makes it desirable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ackleyfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon makes an excellent action and they are made with a wire edm out of chromoly. </div></div>
Race ways are cut using EDM, but this method is not exclusive to Surgeon! </div></div>
Was exclusivity ever mentioned in my comment. Nope. Just offering a suggestion for someone who asked with a trait that makes it desirable. </div></div>

Don't remember him asking about traits..

Your post says the actions are made with wire EDM, which is not the case, when in fact wire cut raceways are a very small part of the process, so I made the claification, hope you don't think I was talking down to you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a really silly question that no one seems to have asked.

What do you plan on doing with this build?

I would NOT build a hunting rifle out of a Badger, too heavy.

I like the 591, but again probably heavy for a lightweight hunter.

Stiller and Defiance maybe for a hunter.</div></div>

Why are the Badger actions too heavy? I have looked at them before and they do not look out of line for a hunting rifle.

+1 for Surgeon 591. It is built like a tank.
I have a Surgeon built Scalpel in 7 WSM. I haven't started the serious load development yet so I can't give a long term opinion.
I'm working on the ladder loads on Mother's day.....
However I am a machinist and I am impressed with the quality.
A little spendy though, but what isn't for quality?