• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better 6.5x47 Lapua bullet ?

jolofree

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Sooner Nation
Has anyone actually shot Both the 123GR HORNADY A-MAX and the LAPUA 123GR SCENAR HPBT out to 600yds to see which is better? There is Quite a difference in price and I was wondering which of these would be better for a mid-range, 600yd, F Class match?

Re: Better 6.5x47 Lapua bullet ?

At 600 it barely starts to matter. Lapua bullets are costly, and there is reason for that, a small fraction of it being accuracy. I had very poor results compared to the 139/142 class of bullets, though others have had opposite results. Your rifle is the determining factor.

Try both yourself, despite what is said here, you will always wonder.

I have loaded with and shot both, but not side by side in the same rifle with equal load development - what I will say is when weighing and measuring base to ogive, hornady has more off sorts - by the time I had 20% with no real purpose they were not much of a bargain

I could not see enough of a difference in the two to make the Lapua's worth the extra price. I shot them both to 1000yards and ended up scraping them both for the 130gr Berger VLD's.

Out of the two you mentioned I would shoot the Amax's and shoot lots of them.