• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Better footwear?

Yall are cute with your boot choices. haha. I have a 16 EE-EEE foot. I wear whatever I can find and I don't ever get to try them out first. get what I get in the mail and move on. My only boot I can find is a redwing pecos steel toe. its my work boot, my dress boot, my hunting boot, etc.

my kid is 13 and wears 14 and needs really narrow boots it is a bitch to find him ones that fit

Wanting to start a thread for everyone's opinions on boots/footwear for hunting, work, every day stuff, or whatever. I myself having very flat feet I've always tried to be thoughtful of my boot choices and lately have had to purchase some new work boots. The boots I've previously had I liked a lot and have owned several pairs, but after the last two wearing out prematurely I've looked at another brand. The brand I used to wear also makes the hunting boots I'm now using and I'm seeing lack of durability in them now too. So with that said I'd like to hear what you guys choice to wear for your application and why

I'm an architectural and real estate photographer, who often photographs vacant land parcels in rural AZ, way out in the wilderness, in addition to hunting frequently, and I can offer some feedback on three models of Danners and Keens. I say "models" because I don't want my comments below to be misconstrued as commentary on the brand as a whole, only on specific models.

#1) Danner TFX G3 GTX-012M.
- VERY COMFORTABLE.
- waterproofing was very effective
- Not good in the desert for protecting against stickers, cacti, etc.
- Poor durability. As the pics indicate, the seams started to tear after two hunting trips (both of which were light on hiking, probably a total of 10-15 miles overall) and a few PRS style matches.
image1.jpeg

2) KEEN MEN'S KOVEN MID
- very comfortable
- worn every day for work, and occasionally on hunting excursions
- started to see tears in the seam in < 6 months.

IMG_0229.jpg

3) Keen Targhee Lace Waterproof

- very comfortable (every Keen I've worn gets high marks here!)
- worn every day for work since Sept 2018 and in all hunting scenarios where water might be involved. E.g., I had this on a desert sheep hunt about 1 month ago in N. AZ. We did 25 miles in one day and I had about 10lbs of camera equipment + normal hiking stuff in my Eberlestock Gunslinger. Comfortable throughout the day, even crossing several rivers.
- Very effective in the desert at repelling thorns and cacti
- So far very durable
- Unlike the other two, I highly recommend this pair of boots. We'll see if they hold up next hunting season.

Obviously boot fit is going to differ from person to person. I have a tough time trying boots without wearing them for extended periods. I have had good luck shopping at REI because they have a great return policy that you can return boots for any reason.

Obviously boot fit is going to differ from person to person. I have a tough time trying boots without wearing them for extended periods. I have had good luck shopping at REI because they have a great return policy that you can return boots for any reason.

Just dont do anything gun related in the REI sourced boots - they will use duress to have you give up your guns.

I've spent a lot of time in Teva Arrowood Riva hiking shoes and they feel like I'm wearing slippers. They usually run 1 size small though.

True. Hard to keep up with all the anti gun retailers these days..

I liked REI. I put close to $20K per year on my REI card and would get some good membership money back from them every June. If I was buying outdoor gear it was being bought from them.

They pissed me off though telling the Bicycle Helmet supplier (Giro) that as part of a conglomerate that owns Savage Firearms and as Savage is an MSR rifle manufacturer they would no longer sell Giro helmets.

So some kid crashes and destroys his skull for REi to make a stupid point.

I kept my membership but dont use the card or buy from them. I will take the dividend check they will send me, probably about $20, and put it toward guns and ammo.

I sort cows, gather,and ride in hells canyon, Oregon side,hunt fish farm and the only boot that I don’t wear out in 6 months is a kenetrek guide boot worth every dime My last pair lasted me 3 years till the cow shit ate them up!!!

i bought keens for work and expected way more foot beds are junk and they leaked and started falling apart in three months. After being used meindl quality the keens just dont compare.

Meindl is good stuff.

Never considered Keens as anything better than all terrain weed smoking shoes.

Disclosure I own a set of Limmer off the shelfs (=Meindl) and a set of Keen glorified all terrain sandals (I dont smoke weed).

Moutain hunting- Lowa Caminos
General hunting- Danner Jackals
Work- Danner Jackals dryish work, Muck chick magnets for the rest

R

Crispi Nevada Non-insulated GTX

I have had them a couple of months now and have been wearing them exclusively in the snow, slush, and muck. They have not failed yet and are holding up well. The soles are a little stiff for the flatland hiking I have been doing so far, but I bought them for a mountain hunt this fall. I can't complain......yet. There was not a break in period at all. I pulled them out of the box and went on a 5 mile hike to figure out if I was going to be happy with them. So far so good.

Red wing irish setter wingshooter

I also have a pair of red wing irish setter wingshooter that have been amazing. I have had them for about 8 years now and I can't get over how well they have held up. I treat them with mink oil. I would not describe them as water proof by any means but they fit my feet like a glove. I did a 23 mile speed hike one day in them and the only thing that did not hurt the next day were my feet.

Got kenetreks this last year for hunting and couldn’t be happier. Although stiff, they really rock back and forth when you walk and are very comfortable and stable.

Reactions: Trev1866
Another vote for Asolo boots. Been wearing them for years. Light, comfy and lots of support. You can usually find them discounted if you look on the Net. The Costco wool socks are also good for their price.

Bought Danser SRFs when my leg was shattered and Dr said the only way to hunt/hike was tall supportive boots. Technically he said “You’re an idiot, I don’t recommend this” He also said I’d use a walker the rest of my life. F him I climb 6k ft a day with sheet verticals hunting. The SRFs never quite felt right and 6 mos in made a cracking noise. Sent back to Danser and they offered full credit on whatever I wanted. I had tried the Canadians and while super feeling on my feet the Outfitter Store in NC didn’t have my size. With Danner offering any of their line I ordered up Canadians. 5 years now and wear clearing snow/calcuim/salt as well. I’ve submerged them fishing too many times. Even had a Bear steal one of my entrance way (we live in a neighborhood ?) tracked him and recovered my boot. That was 2 years ago. Only used cleaner/conditioner 2-3 times. Finally this year the rubber started separating at the toe. I’ll send back for a rebuild and buy a second pair for rotating as well. First day I put them on was like an old leather glove they fit so well. I have to different sized feet/arches after totaling a car with my body as a pedestrian. These are the only boots/shoes that fit perfect with odd feet. I did the shower/hike dry break in deal but wouldn’t bother again. I’m in a very wet weather mountain area so they’ll form to my feet quickly. I am also looking the re-released Elk Hunters. I’m glad I heard about Whites selling out. They were my first choice but legs where so messed up and swollen I didn’t know what to do for measurements.
I know some say Kennetrek or Lowa for the super stiff support. I’d say after wearing super stiff SRFs I prefer supporting the ankle but a small amount of give is preferred and a tighter heel but open toe box for me. It could be the boot style or the fact that I sometimes wear 2 layers of wool socks but the front of the ankle right at the bend to my foot is tight and just above gives slightly. For my leg issues this is ideal.

With all the swelling/pain if my boots don’t fit well I’m pretty picky on boots/shoes. I bought a pair of Keen Carbon Toes for visiting my Plants that require protected toe. Always heard good things about Keen. They are like wearing rocks in the footbed and a few hours in I feel it. If 10+ hours I actually start limping again which is bad for me. I haven’t limped in 2-3 years. Might try moldable insoles I guess.

Get yourself a pair of Saloman Quest 4d's and never look back. Ive put ~200 miles on mine and have never had a single hotspot or blister. I recently went on a little backpacking trip in the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico, 25 miles with 40+ river crossings. Needless to say, i hiked a goo majority with soaking wet boots and a 60lb pack. The ankle support is excellent, i have a trashed ankle and have avoided and sprains or rolls so far. They have held up well in rocky terrain in southern Arizona. I have nothing bad to say about them, other than they are on the expensive side of the spectrum.

Reactions: CuTm
I like my lowa uplanders. They're very comfortable out of the box and they last me a couple years, granted I only wear them spring through fall and our winters last 6 month's. But theyve been really good boots.

Xdeano

I have worn kenetrek boots since 2012 still have my original pair. Rucked hundreds of miles in them feet never tire and boots are still waterproof. I have a A width foot so it’s extremely hard to find narrow boots but they have the option to fit the bill.

Wanting to start a thread for everyone's opinions on boots/footwear for hunting, work, every day stuff, or whatever. I myself having very flat feet I've always tried to be thoughtful of my boot choices and lately have had to purchase some new work boots. The boots I've previously had I liked a lot and have owned several pairs, but after the last two wearing out prematurely I've looked at another brand. The brand I used to wear also makes the hunting boots I'm now using and I'm seeing lack of durability in them now too. So with that said I'd like to hear what you guys choice to wear for your application and why
I have flat feet too, the boots that i wear are the Danner Tachyons. They may look a little "Tacticool" dependent on the occasion but are incredibly comfortable, lightweight, and durable.