• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Better glass

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm looking at three scopes at a budget of $800 and want to compare the glass and how they rank against each. With the exception of the zero stop/shims on the PST all are FFP mil/mil with similar options.

Bushnell elite 3-12x44
    Weaver tactical 3-15x50 (illuminated model coming this spring)
    Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50

I know about all the features and price but I don't know how they compare to each in the glass dept, looking for opinions. From short to long range, 100-1000yds, how does each rank in brightness mid day and low light, color/contrast, clarity and sharpness?

Flyingbullseye

Re: Best glass

Hmmm... maybe I should take a different route. This might have been a hard comparison to make considering the price bracket. I am aware of the SS 3-9 but would like a little more mag.

If anyone has any of these scopes what is your opinion on their brightness mid day and low light, color/contrast, clarity and sharpness from 100-1000yds?

Flyingbullseye

If you want the best glass for under 800 and to be mil/mil I would look at super sniper 10X42HD. I have not looked through the new Viper PST but out of the Weaver and Bushnell, I felt the Weaver had better glass, however it had MOA turrets(which the new one coming out is mil, and over 29 Mils of adjustment which is better than the Bushy or PST) If FFP wasn't a criteria the new sightron that are coming out would be my pick for good glass next to the supersniper HD

Thanks for the reply and opinions frank. The more I have found the few posts and threads on the weaver the more I'm leaning towards it. At this point I'm just waiting for JonA's more in-depth review of his PST and how it compares to other scopes, hope he throws his weaver 4-20 in that review as well, hint hint JonA. I always had the SS 10HD as a standby scope in the list of possibilities but having a variable and more mag is nice to have sometimes.

Flyingbullseye