• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Better Glass...

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Swarovski or NF scopes? Which has the better glass?

Superior turrets, how? Better precision of clicks?

I have a Vortex Viper PST right now and would like to upgrade at some point in the future. $2500 (looking at the Z6(i)) for a scope is crazy though especially since I can get Vortex's cheap.

I strongly suspect the turrets on each brand are fully functional and easy to use.

The turret is the tool that enables tracking. If they both track, you're home... regardless of whether you love like or hate the feel.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
    $2500 opens a lot of doors, I would expand your manufacturer list beyond just Nightforce and Swarovski.

Tons of good deals going on through hide vendors and in the PX section.

You could start by calling hide vendors and telling them your budget and your intended use. That'll help you out a bunch.

Also defining some specifications you want would go a long way here. (Weight, magnifcation range, size, intended purpose) would help get better answers and feedback. Posting "which has better glass" is a kind of dumb/weak question

Superior turrets, how? Better precision of clicks?

Erectors in swaro’s break easier. If you baby you guns then it might not be a issue. But I haven’t heard of to many surviving drops. I’ve seen the a few guys have issues with the zero stops being broke as well. So superior turrets is one that tracks and one that isn’t made with shitty components that breaks. The superior glass the swaro has isn’t even so great that I’ve ever noticed much of a difference. Further more, does it help you shoot better to have a perfect image of you target in slightly better colored detail?

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I mean, finding out which has the better quality glass opens it up to what I may use it for...

My windage turret on my atacr 7-35 feels as mushy and vague as my $300 sig scope

Love the scope except the windage turret

Erectors in swaro’s break easier. If you baby you guns then it might not be a issue. But I haven’t heard of to many surviving drops. I’ve seen the a few guys have issues with the zero stops being broke as well. So superior turrets is one that tracks and one that isn’t made with shitty components that breaks. The superior glass the swaro has isn’t even so great that I’ve ever noticed much of a difference. Further more, does it help you shoot better to have a perfect image of you target in slightly better colored detail?

Im with you on most of what you just said, and about the glass to a point. The Z6 and X5 series I can’t tell much difference in glass. The Z8 line the glass is simply phenomenal. Much more so than anything NF offers.

Didn't know that was an option.

Haven't had it that long and bought on suggestions here. I never handled one before.

Thanks

Didn't know that was an option either

Let me know how it goes if you try it

Didn't know that was an option.

Haven't had it that long and bought on suggestions here. I never handled one before.

Thanks
    To be clear. There should be an o ring on the turret cap.
    For some reason, most of them are oversized.

You are comparing scopes made for 2 different things. NF is a tactical scope made for hard use. Swarovski is a hunting scope renowned for its glass. Swaro owns Kahles, that is their tactical line. A better comparison would be NF vs Kahles.

Swarovski has amazing glass.
    But NF has better function and options.
    For $2500, your options are huge.
    Are you wanting 1st or 2nd focal plane?
    And what magnification are you looking for

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
    You really are comparing tactical to hunting. Swarovski is going to be superior optics in low light as well as resolution. If that's your end game and want to get a little dialing in for longer distances go with one with a BT on top. Now if this is going to be a target gun that doubles as a hunting rifle from time to time, but you are dead set on dialing out to distance. I would look more so at a Kahles vs. Nightforce because Kahles uses the same glass as Swarovski. Nightforce has great clarity and resolution but nothing gathers more light than a Swaro/Kahles in my opinion.

Reactions: Aescobar17
    I don’t know that kahles gets the same coatings as the swaro. I may be wrong but you think they’d say so.

It’s worth mentioning that the main 2 properties that consist of perceived “glass” quality are Resolution and Contrast. (Several other factors too, of course.)

This is one reason why guys don’t always agree on which scope has better “glass”. Everything in optics is about compromises, and generally to get really good levels of both, the compromise then is higher cost. In a long range precision scope, obviously tracking is king. Then for “glass”, I personally prioritize resolution the most and I care a bit less about contrast and I don’t care at all about color rendition etc, so long as the image is bright and sharp. After all, it’s a gun site!

Nightforce (NXS anyway) has been known for years to have great resolution, but in the past at least, lacked that “pop” that higher contrast (and also great resolution) that Swaros have. The Swaros are light weight hunting optics, Nightforce are heavy, mil grade tanks that track true. The newer models have more “pop”, as the coatings are getting better and better every year.

I would venture a guess that Nightforce would be the better choice for the OP for his pst upgrade, but he never said what’s he’s using it for...

It’s worth mentioning that the main 2 properties that consist of perceived “glass” quality are Resolution and Contrast. (Several other factors too, of course.)

This is one reason why guys don’t always agree on which scope has better “glass”. Everything in optics is about compromises, and generally to get really good levels of both, the compromise then is higher cost. In a long range precision scope, obviously tracking is king. Then for “glass”, I personally prioritize resolution the most and I care a bit less about contrast and I don’t care at all about color rendition etc, so long as the image is bright and sharp. After all, it’s a gun site!

Nightforce (NXS anyway) has been known for years to have great resolution, but in the past at least, lacked that “pop” that higher contrast (and also great resolution) that Swaros have. The Swaros are light weight hunting optics, Nightforce are heavy, mil grade tanks that track true. The newer models have more “pop”, as the coatings are getting better and better every year.

I would venture a guess that Nightforce would be the better choice for the OP for his pst upgrade, but he never said what’s he’s using it for...
    This is very good advice. When someone says what glass is the best, that is asking one question that blankets four primary properties together.

Resolution
    Contrast
    Depth of field
    Image brightness

Each scope company prioritizes these differently. You have to ask yourself which is more important to your application. There is lots of threads on which scope does what the best. I suggest you think about which of those are priority to your application and narrow it down from there on which scope is best for your needs.

It was funny a couple weeks ago when my friend and I kept going back and forth comparing glass between his Athlon Ares BTR and my new Ares ETR! We both thought our own scopes had better glass after doing this 4-5 times, we had to stay with our own opinions.

Then had another friend looked through both, ha I won (JK), or the ETR won out. "eye of the beholder" our eyes vary by individual.

On the other hand we both like the glass better in that same friends Swaro X5 vs my S&B, both 5-25's. In fact I think the glass in that X5 is the nicest I've seen yet.

The Ares BTR has nice glass but the higher the mag the smaller the view and very difficult for many to even use

The Ares BTR has nice glass but the higher the mag the smaller the view and very difficult for many to even use

Yeah we decided to look with 20x and 25x through both scopes so it was the same mag for both. Too me the ETR handled 30x better than the Ares handled 27x. Seems the Ares doesn't pull off 27x that well because it's starting to dim out by then but 25x is fine.

My windage turret on my atacr 7-35 feels as mushy and vague as my $300 sig scope

Love the scope except the windage turret
    Remove the oring

I tried removing the oring it completely changes the feeling of the windage turret it's much better very close to how the elevation turret feels

Probably shouldn't run the scope without an oring there but going to try and find a smaller oring. The one that came with the scope didn't fit great