• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Beware Duplin rifles gunsmithing

panzer075

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2003
upstate NY
I have never posted in this manner before, but recent events warrant posting a warning for potential customers.

I as well as 2 other friends of mine sent rifles to be rebarreled or built to clint cooper at duplin rifles. I recieved a rebarreled rifle and had 2 barrels made. When i went to shoot them at the range I found 1 barrel shot 10-12 minutes high and 15 min right and was unable to be zeroed at a range closer than 600 yds. And even then it was a target right. I never shot the other barrel originally. I sent both barrels back to be fixed and checked, and after several weeks got the rifle back with only 1 barrel. I had 2 different chambers in the barrels 1 for mid range w/ 155's and 1 for 200grn at long range. I got back the mid range palma chamber barrel, that had now been throated out (an obvious mistake)to shoot the 200's and it shot 16 minutes high. I didnt get the other barrel until clint mailed my buddy his sons gun, and that one when put on still had bad marks in the breech and still shot very high and 15 mins right. When I confronted clint about this I was told I was wrong, and he worked on the barrels, and i must have screwed up or sent the wrong barrels?? 1 barrel is 31' and the other was 30" and they were sent seperately, so there was no way I confused them.
But basically it wasnt his fault and my action was junk, and I dont know how to put a barrel on.

So now I am stuck having to send the barrels off to be fixed and I have to figure out how to chamber them now as i will lose an inch or more on each to be redone properly.

As for my friend Mike and his sons gun, I wont go into all the exact details as i want him to jump on and tell exactly what happened, but i do know the rifle he had built shot was low and when zeroed at 100yds he only had 15-18 minutes elevation left on his nightforce. Also the fit and finish was horrible. stainless and blued steel screws were mixed in on the rifle, the wood had scratches and marks on it, the bedding looked horrible (as confirmed by kelbly's who ended up fixing his gun) and it appeared that the barrel wasnt even hand tight when it was sent to Mike and spun off freely at kelbly's. mike doesnt swap his own barrels he just builds new guns so that wasnt his fault it came that way from clint.

mike son gun came last week, and the main issue with that was it was packed badly and the Nightforce scope was badly damaged, and had a bad gouge in the trigger guard as well as other marks. But the main issue was the sons's gun was built for F-TR and it was overweight. clints response, its only overweight by an ounce or so just work on the stock. As far as the damage, he refuses to cover the broken scope as he says it must be my fault for examining the scope even though i wasnt even there when Mike opened the case.

Again, I am sure my friend Mike can jump on here when he gets time to make sure all the info is correct, but i can provide photos of the damage as well as documentation of all the different gunsmiths who have worked on the different rifles and rebarrels to repair them.

potential customers beware.

Re: Beware Duplin rifles gunsmithing

There are two sides to this story. I've seen and shot Clint's work and it is great quality. Chris, I'm disappointed in this post and I've lost some respect for you. One factor you failed to mention is that Clint did this all for FREE.

No Jeff i paid for my work. I got some money discounted but still paid. And Jeff i know for a fact u had several barrels done by clint and seemed to have alot of issues this year also. As far as respect Jeff i would hope you aren't selling some of yours just because your name is on a bipod.

And my friend Mike paid full price for him and his sons work. And regardless what was paid shouldnt damaged property be covered?

And if you lost respect for me because I would rather stand by a friend who was mistreated and wronged even if it means giving up a possible financial gain or discount for services in the future, if that has caused you to lose respect for me Jeff then all i can say is no loss. As your respect obviously isnt worth that much.

I hate you guys are disappointed with duplin rifles. Clint has built 2 rifles for me and they shoot great. I only wish i could shoot as good as they do. My experience has been very favorable.

Hey Brad hows the new rifle goin...?

Yah his first post is duplicated on 6br.com

Chris,

Clint is a personal friend of mine. I'm disappointed in how you handled this disagreement. I'm not going to lower myself to throwing personal attacks. The problems I had earlier in the year had nothing to do with Clint's quality. I was trying to make the ultra heavy bullets work in a .308. With Clint's barrel and bipod, I managed second place. His work for me has been great.

Jeff

Well Jeff i tried to contact clint i gave him a second chance to fix the gun and then put up with him insulting me and my friend on the phone. So i am not sure what else i should have done.

As far as a personal attack you are the one who jumped in and made it personal without knowing the facts.