• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BEWARE OF PROOF PREFITS

Pretty obvious this guy was a clown from the start when he included no actual information, useful images, or screenshots of emails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmingmander
White hell makes all the different brands of 22 nosler ammunition that he had tried.

This took a turn in a hurry lol.

I am no fanboy of ANYONE......but I can absolutely see the validity of 50 barrels sent back over the span of a year. That is less than 5 barrels a months......that is nothing for a volume seller.

In my experience, the previous comment was spot on. When you ramp up production and cut back QAQC to keep prices down you let more junk out the door and accept the risk of pissed off customers. Period.

Maybe I am a shitty businessman......but I can't sleep when I get ONE barrel/rifle that doesn't perform perfect......let alone a forum thread of multiple people shitting on my product quality. I would seriously consider another career if I had as many people complain as I have heard in the last couple years about PR.

Ern

The issue is, the ammo maker isn't a volume seller. OP is claiming it's an ammo maker who will help customers with barrel returns if needed.

That means that 50 people have contacted him with bad barrels. Which seems unlikely. Also, there's not too many people who would have an issue calling out a company if they returned that many barrels.

As far as thinking it's "nothing" for high volume.....you'll need to adjust that thinking. If a company sells 5,000 chambered barrels and has a 3% return rate, that's 450 barrels in three years. Most shops running CNC are below 3%, but let's just say 3% to be safe. That would mean one single shop in the country found 10% of the bad barrels over a three year period.

You could double those numbers, and that still means a single ammo maker found 5% of the barrels. Sending back 5 barrels per month for any manufacturer would be a ton of bad barrels.

That combined with the complete lack of details from the beginning, doesn't help his claim. I have no doubt he could have a bad barrel, it happens. However, this is definitely not the way to make the complaint.

'over .300” of jump' is pretty big. Seems like it would be hard to mismeasure that much, is the Hornady measuring case screwed up or something?

That's a two way street. Proof would have a pretty hard time justifying not returning if their chamber cast had shown such an out of spec chamber.

Reactions: snyper7722
I can't take OP seriously on any of his statements....especially the 50 barrel claim thing. Ammo manufacturer isn't in here to defend themselves but if I was a betting person I would say OP is making false claims on that as well.

Pics of the chamber casting?
I’d never trust a company that can’t cut a coned breech.

Proof had pics but the dude must have deleted things. There were pics of the cast and test targets. If I come across it again I’ll post but when I was back on Facebook it was gone.

Proof had pics but the dude must have deleted things. There were pics of the cast and test targets. If I come across it again I’ll post but when I was back on Facebook it was gone.

I can confirm there's at least one pic of a 5 shot test group from Proof that was .5 or less.

The images do exist, I've seen them, and they were posted on another thread on Facebook. But it's private so a person can't link you there. The same post the OP had on the Nebraska predator hunters page has mysteriously gone missing in the last hour also.

PSA FOR PROOF PREFIT BARRELS!!

I recommend to everyone after this fiasco to look other places for barrels. I have 2 barrels from them previously that shoot really good. But this 3rd barrel is only capable of 1.5 MOA and Proof has left us with a $900 piece of junk. After testing all shelf ammo we could find for this barrel and it not being better than a 1.5 we sent it in to proof. We received a call a few weeks later stating that it shot .5” with the exact ammo we told them it would not shoot and would not provide pictures. Being that this chambering has been discontinued by them I figured they were giving us the run around so they do not have stop their process to bring out old reamers.

We then took this barrel to a custom ammo manufacturer in our state to see if he could go to bat for us. Immediately he had his doubts as he has had many problems with them in the last few years. He then measured out the chamber and found that there was over .300” of jump. (photos below). He sent this info to proof and requested a replacement and they stated that those chamber specs are not right and they would warranty it.

We heard from proof 2 days ago now and they sent us pictures of a mold they took of the chamber and measured it out stating their was only .06” jump and met SAAMI spec and would not be replacing the barrel. They could not provide us with which bullets they were using to spec the chamber and did not provide much information at all.

So now we are stuck with a $900 barrel that shoots like shit.

After talking with this custom ammo manufacturer, he stated this has been very typical of proof the last 3 years and has had to send in over 50 barrels to the warranty department due to not shooting and chamber dimensions and currently has 4 of them he is trying to make a load for because they won’t shoot good. The size of groups for each one were provided, 1.8, 2.2, 2.5, and 3 MOA.

I will no longer be buying proof barrels and hope to steer people away from their prefits so they don’t waste that kind of money on them either.
quoted so we have this when OP finally gives up and admits he's a fuck

IMG_5553.png

Oh! I found the post and was able to grab a screen shot. The best part is you can see the OP is asking what bullet was used to cast the chamber…….clearly doesn’t understand you cast the chamber, freebore, lead in and can clearly see the rifling and that you don’t use a bullet during casting of a chamber……

I don't know anything about the OP's situation, but it's very close to what I've had to deal with from PR is the past two years. Thier customer service and product quality has gone to shit.

As I've said before, if you're hell bent on using Proof Research Products buy from a vendor with a no questions asked return policy and make sure to thoroughly inspect each barrel inside and out.

I will never use Proof Products or recommend them to anyone after the drama I had with them last year.

Two barrels that I had purchased through ExpertVoice looked like they were chambered with a broken reamer and because I purchased through EV I had to deal with PR directly, not a pleasant experience!

Also when dealing with PR Customer Service keep all communication strictly to email so that you have a black and white paper trail, what they tell you on the phone and what they tell you via Email are two different things.
I think you stole my pictures there because that's how my 6 ARC carbon barrel looked when new (being sarcastic here but my barrel had rough machining marks for a premium barrel). Thought I had to send rounds through her per their break in procedure but I could never get under 1.5 moa.

The issue is, the ammo maker isn't a volume seller. OP is claiming it's an ammo maker who will help customers with barrel returns if needed.

That means that 50 people have contacted him with bad barrels. Which seems unlikely. Also, there's not too many people who would have an issue calling out a company if they returned that many barrels.

As far as thinking it's "nothing" for high volume.....you'll need to adjust that thinking. If a company sells 5,000 chambered barrels and has a 3% return rate, that's 450 barrels in three years. Most shops running CNC are below 3%, but let's just say 3% to be safe. That would mean one single shop in the country found 10% of the bad barrels over a three year period.

You could double those numbers, and that still means a single ammo maker found 5% of the barrels. Sending back 5 barrels per month for any manufacturer would be a ton of bad barrels.

That combined with the complete lack of details from the beginning, doesn't help his claim. I have no doubt he could have a bad barrel, it happens. However, this is definitely not the way to make the complaint.
I agree that is a high failure rate for a prestigous company.

I can't speak to the ammo company but I can say that I witnessed a number of prefit PR barrels from a single order that had the freebore so off-center they wouldn't allow a factory round to seat fully. To PR's credit they apologized and sent replacements ASAP. Take it for what it is......I figured I witnessed such a small sampling that I can easy extrapalate that by X, considering PR capability and output, and not be unreasonable.

I think some of the statements still hold true.......PR (prefit or not) is more of a gamble than others.

In all honesty I used to be a big PR steel blank fan.....cheap cut rifled, 4 groove (my prefence), short leadtimes, and active sport sponsorship. Unfortunately, I have noticed a slide and can't honestly hold them in the same light. I have said this before and continue to say it.....I refuse to play the dick suck game and gain points by promoting products I am not confident in.

Ern

I don't believe this thread will reach epic status, but it did provide some afternoon entertainment. Sounds like someone may be backtracking a bit or attempting to hide the paper trail. However, once on the interwebs..... 🤷‍♂️

Big surprise

Local fudd
Asked another fudd
Both with wobbly lathes
And they agree…

Then

original fudd comes on the hide expects to start a revolution

Other fudds on the hide who also listen to stories made up by their local fudds join in the bashing
…even though they know nothing about the issue and will still buy and shoot the same mfg product

and magically when it gets down to the truth the opening fudd starts trying to clean his tracks

…Typical firearms customer and forum BS.

Big surprise

Local fudd
Asked another fudd
Both with wobbly lathes
And they agree…

Then

original fudd comes on the hide expects to start a revolution

Other fudds on the hide who also listen to stories made up by their local fudds join in the bashing
…even though they know nothing about the issue and will still buy and shoot the same mfg product

and magically when it gets down to the truth the opening fudd starts trying to clean his tracks

…Typical firearms customer and forum BS.
Sounds like a fair assessment of the local (Hide) scope drama lately, too... 😂

That's a two way street. Proof would have a pretty hard time justifying not returning if their chamber cast had shown such an out of spec chamber.

That's what I mean, if it was that screwed up a manufacturer is going to send you a new one and say 'Sorry', here's a new barrel and some schwag...If I came up with that measurement my first thought would be I forgot to zero out something or my calipers were in metric or something.

I'd take that out of your post then. That's a very serious accusation and not willing to back it up is pretty irresponsible and will only hurt your credibility in the claim of bad barrel. The barrel may very well be defective, but the added accusations without backing it up is a bad look.

Is it a very serious accusation? I wasn't sure

I've switch over to V Seven barrels for quick off the shelf options and so far I've been very impressed. Once Paul Ross from CLE get rolling in his shop I'll go back to ordering custom Bartlein and Krieger barrels.

I agree that is a high failure rate for a prestigous company.

I can't speak to the ammo company but I can say that I witnessed a number of prefit PR barrels from a single order that had the freebore so off-center they wouldn't allow a factory round to seat fully. To PR's credit they apologized and sent replacements ASAP. Take it for what it is......I figured I witnessed such a small sampling that I can easy extrapalate that by X, considering PR capability and output, and not be unreasonable.

I think some of the statements still hold true.......PR (prefit or not) is more of a gamble than others.

In all honesty I used to be a big PR steel blank fan.....cheap cut rifled, 4 groove (my prefence), short leadtimes, and active sport sponsorship. Unfortunately, I have noticed a slide and can't honestly hold them in the same light. I have said this before and continue to say it.....I refuse to play the dick suck game and gain points by promoting products I am not confident in.

Ern

Beginning of the year I was told by damn near everyone 8-10 weeks for a 22 cal proof blank. But maybe if I talk to a guy that I'd get the privilege of spending my $700+ a few weeks faster. I passed.

And good luck on ordering from Bartlien. I thought they were claiming 6 months for orders because aren't they making barrels for Uncle Sugar and the Ukraine proxy war?

Thankfully Kreiger has in stock blanks. They fluted and shipped in like 2 weeks

View attachment 8344666
Oh! I found the post and was able to grab a screen shot. The best part is you can see the OP is asking what bullet was used to cast the chamber…….clearly doesn’t understand you cast the chamber, freebore, lead in and can clearly see the rifling and that you don’t use a bullet during casting of a chamber……

Want to know where this gets even weirder? This isn’t even the same Facebook group I saw. I found his post on a completely different predator hunting group. This dude I think just hit up every forum and Facebook group with this nonsense lmao

Want to know where this gets even weirder? This isn’t even the same Facebook group I saw. I found his post on a completely different predator hunting group. This dude I think just hit up every forum and Facebook group with this nonsense lmao

This is fairly common. Happened with ZCO and a few other companies in the past.

Someone has a perceived problem that isn’t settled the way the want, so they go to every page and forum posting about it.

Historically, anytime someone uses this scorched earth method, they are not educated properly on the gear or performance.

Beginning of the year I was told by damn near everyone 8-10 weeks for a 22 cal proof blank. But maybe if I talk to a guy that I'd get the privilege of spending my $700+ a few weeks faster. I passed.

And good luck on ordering from Bartlien. I thought they were claiming 6 months for orders because aren't they making barrels for Uncle Sugar and the Ukraine proxy war?

Ummm, yes, claiming to return 50 barrels to the same manufacturer in three years is a very serious accusation. With the implication they were defective.

That would be very out of the norm.

Proof probably called him on his BS and sent him a cease and desist so he tried to wipe his tracks clean on facebook

a Proof prefit is ~$454, on Expert Voice. That's a chambered barrel. Where can you get a chambered Bartlein for $20 more?
454.00 is for a steel prefit carbon are 734.00 a blank is now 650.00 Hardly worth it when there are far better products at 750 and more reliable products from carbon six and others at 650 retail. I've scoped 4 prefit proofs in the last year. I'd never waste my money on them.

Yeah I saw this on a number of groups, then came here and saw it as well.

I've scoped 4 prefit proofs in the last year. I'd never waste my money on them.

Admittedly, mine aren't pretty with a scope, but they shoot just as good as my PVA and other prefits. So, I keep buying them.

I don’t simp for proof but I call BS. I had a bad proof, 16” CF 308 for an AR. They replaced it immediately. Second barrel wasn’t up to par, called, they apologized and took my entire rifle in on their dime, replaced barrel, sent targets with test groups and asked if I was satisfied. First out of many I had an issue with but it happened. Wasn’t happy, but I was very pleased with how quickly they tried addressing everything with no hesitation. Most all of this is in email as well.

I don’t know what you guys are mad about. Seems real nice of Proof to take care of the heavy lifting for you by sending you a barrel with the throat already eroded and metal three piece cleaning rod damage so you don’t have to do it yourself.

Should save you thousands in ammo costs.