• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Beware

DocLes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
ARKANSAS
I don't even know if this is the right place to post this. So mods if you move it I understand.
I have a few AR 10 20rd mags for sale here on the board. I have received two offers, one from
Europe, and one from California. The on from California asked me to dissemble the mags and ship
them, thus making it legal? Then he said if I would not do that, he would send me an address in
Va to send them to. The other person is in Europe which means shipping them out of the country.
I have already made up my mind NOT to deal with these people. You never know, since "BIG BROTHER"
keeps an eye on all of us, these offers seem odd to me. Call me paranoid if you will, but I'm too old
to spend time in jail.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

Doc Les

I agree, only whats legal. standard disclaimer on gunbroker is "will only ship to states where its legal"

Thanks for posting this. Honest folks like you make everyone else and the whole community look good.

In my opinion, to dissemble the mags and ship them to CA would not be legal. I guess sending them to VA would be a viable option. AR mags are not hard to get and not that expensive any more. I would not enter a transaction that would even remotely not be legit, especially for 40 bucks or so. Actually to me no price would make me entertain a shady deal. Good luck with the sale and good posting topic.

To clarify a little more here, (and no, I'm NOT one of the purchasers) the key word here was LEGAL. Point being, I, like many others, live in Canada. It is NOT illegal to receive a disassembled magazine here, (short story made long) if it is for more than 5 rounds. Thing is, that is how they 'come'. It is up to the owner to block/pin/weld either the box, the floorplate, or the follower to prevent the filling of more than 5 rounds.

If one were to assemble a magazine up here, (again, short story made long) that holds MORE than 5 rounds, THEN, AND ONLY THEN, would said person be in possession of a Prohibited Device (formerly classified as a Prohibited Weapon)

So, you see, it is actually (and absolutely) 100% within the law to ship to others (here in Canada) a magazine that is disassembled. As a matter of fact, that is the only legal way for law abiding citizens to continue on with this wonderful sport and hobby. Before we ALL are made criminals and deviants.

So, one might want to consider actually looking into the facts of the matter, before jerking one's knee into compromising and debilitating positions.

I'm just sayin'. Or one might just as well jump onto the gun-banning bandwagon with full gusto, as there obviously ARE more details to most stories.

Thanks MAGUA for the information. It looks like CA law is different than Canadian law on this topic. This sure is a hornets nest of a topic and some companies are facing a strong law suit for importing to CA residents dissembled mags (called repair kits) under the disguise of "skirting" the CA law. This is not allowed per the law. Only grandfathered greater than ten round magazines can be allowed for the lawful repair and maintenance of magazines by licensed dealers and gunsmiths. Wow that is pretty strict. I don't think the US federal ban of 1994-2004 was that tuff and more like the description Sean provided in the Canadian law. Like Sean indicated, knowledge of the facts are golden; proceed with caution.

There are stickies on Calguns explaining the magazine issues. For Europe, ITAR is the law and its pretty much a no-go to ship most anything firearm related out of the US.

I didn't read the whole SF city attorney letter, but my guess is it goes on to focus on what they say the law says rather than focus on what the law actually says. As of this moment in time it appears, to me anyway, that sending the disassembled magazines is legit. Does it "skirt the law". So what? It would appear the practice doesn't actually violate the law. Now if a receiving party in Cali assembles these mags it sounds like they would be manufacturing a high-capacity (standard capacity) magazine and that would violate the law. Unless they were replacing parts on grandfathered magazines. Interestingly, it seems the letter of the law wouldn't prohibit someone finding a standard capacity mag on the ground and keeping and using it. I'm sure many, however, are using this, in their minds, to cheat. Don't take my words as legal advice. I haven't read up on this stuff in some time. Calguns generally has this stuff researched to death and I would read the law for yourself. And by "yourself" I am speaking to the general reader of this thread, not the OP who shouldn't do anything he's not comfortable with. As an aside, the Cali DOJ seems to take the position that they don't make interpretations of various "assault rifle" gun laws and that it is up to the several dozen county DAs to determine what the laws mean and whether or not they're going to prosecute. Finally, I believe even the state legislature recognizes the parts kits as a loophole. I think Assembly Bill 48 specifically bans parts kits because of this. If they were already illegal, would they need to close the loophole? HTH

To set your minds at rest, I decided NOT to sell the mags to these individuals when I wrote this thread.

Doc Les

To set your minds at rest, I decided NOT to sell the mags to these individuals when I wrote this thread.

Doc Les

Cool. Just so you know Doc, as a Cali resident, the law focuses more possession than selling. It's the construction/manufacturing/importing that is the legal crux of the argument, not shipping from a non-banned state. The onus would (generally) be on the buyer/possessor. IANAL and all that, but as an AW owner, I try to know what'll keep me out of jail.