Beyond keto

1911addict42

Learning and practicing
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
Las Vegas
I watched a little of it but couldn’t finish it. I’m not going to say all, but most of the scientific references in that show were meaningless nonsense
I also didn’t pay much attention to the “scientific” information, but it’s pretty interesting to see the anecdotal evidence of world class athletes embracing that lifestyle.
For example, Tom Brady is entirely vegan and it begs the question as to wether or not that’s one reason he’s played at such a high level; when players ordinarily retire at his age.

If I had a private chef, that could make vegan actually taste good, (many of those athletes do) I’d probably try it. But there’s nothing easier and more delicious than a grilled steak or chicken, so I’ll take the path of least resistance.

Reactions: The D

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
I also didn’t pay much attention to the “scientific” information, but it’s pretty interesting to see the anecdotal evidence of world class athletes embracing that lifestyle.
For example, Tom Brady is entirely vegan and it begs the question as to wether or not that’s one reason he’s played at such a high level; when players ordinarily retire at his age.

If I had a private chef, that could make vegan actually taste good, (many of those athletes do) I’d probably try it. But there’s nothing easier and more delicious than a grilled steak or chicken, so I’ll take the path of least resistance.
There’s also plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that athletes that go plant based fall off a cliff in regards to their actual physical ability. Just off the top of my head I can think of 3 players that changed, their physical performance peaked, they got hurt then took forever to heal or were just never the same. They are Cam Newton, Arian Foster, & Demarius Thomas.

The thing is, they probably do actually get a benefit switching from eating a bunch of garbage and following the fda guidelines to eating a whole food-ish plant based diet. One problem I have is that most athletes need to supplement still and the ingredients of those supplements can be a little suspect. Another problem I have is that eventually they will become nutrient deficient if they don’t incorporate some animal products into their diet. Even if those animal products are only shellfish and a dried organ supplement

The D

Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Actual testing for what?

1911addict42

Learning and practicing
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
Las Vegas
The testing for what specific foods would benefit you genetically.

Matt
I believe it is called “nutrigenomics testing.” There’s a handful of companies that do it. I believe some companies do the test for you and then offer a customized diet plan based on the results.

Reactions: Labanaktis

Dombern34

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2019
so I've got a huge stock pile of deer meat. I know Venison is known for being very lean, would this meat be beneficial still in the Keto/carnivore diet?

Eli17L

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
New Mexico
There is labwork available that determines which foods are most appropriate for an individual’s body type/digestive makeup. Many wealthy people/celebrities/athletes use it to create an eating plan that allows weight loss and long term heath.
There is no one size fits all diet.
That said, I have great success with Keto, my body is much happier with organic protein and vegetables. (The quality of the meats are important, commercial raised animals are poison)
I did that for years and found it to be an ever moving target. But it is a money maker for those in the business.

The D

Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
so I've got a huge stock pile of deer meat. I know Venison is known for being very lean, would this meat be beneficial still in the Keto/carnivore diet?
Yes, it’s still beneficial but you will have to figure out a way to add some fat to your meals.

edit: A fairly easy way to do that would be to chop it up, cook it with some tallow, & scramble some egg yolks with it. Mmmm, that sounds delicious

Last edited:

1911addict42

Learning and practicing
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
Las Vegas
I did that for years and found it to be an ever moving target. But it is a money maker for those in the business.
I’d imagine that there are many factors that would dictate success, including the nutritional advice/conclusions given based on the test results, quality of food eaten (I.e organic?) , compliance with the diet etc.
Curious to know more about your experience, I’ve considered trying it out.

Eli17L

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
New Mexico
I’d imagine that there are many factors that would dictate success, including the nutritional advice/conclusions given based on the test results, quality of food eaten (I.e organic?) , compliance with the diet etc.
Curious to know more about your experience, I’ve considered trying it out.
Ran a lab with the equipment and ran the test on myself and some staff every few months for a couple of years.

HellcatActual

Choochin
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
all over
Keto was awesome and worked well but it was horrifically difficult to maintain in respect to my job. I have to cook dinner for 11 hungry asshole firemen every so often and basically had to make a different meal for myself, and then bring food in for myself every time it wasnt my turn to cook... started to become a major hassle when these dudes are crushing garbage plates and pasta and im gnawing on butter covered steak.

what made me stop was the lack of energy.. catching work and being on keto was touching the "oh shit this isn't a good idea" territory.

Eli17L

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
New Mexico
If your not thriving on a ketogenic diet you should get with an MD that is familiar with it and see whats wrong.
And yes being different than the norm is more difficult. As my Dr told me you have to decide weather you want to be a sheep or the wolf and your eyes arn't on the sides of your head.

The D

Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Keto was awesome and worked well but it was horrifically difficult to maintain in respect to my job. I have to cook dinner for 11 hungry asshole firemen every so often and basically had to make a different meal for myself, and then bring food in for myself every time it wasnt my turn to cook... started to become a major hassle when these dudes are crushing garbage plates and pasta and im gnawing on butter covered steak.

what made me stop was the lack of energy.. catching work and being on keto was touching the "oh shit this isn't a good idea" territory.
What did you switch back to? My wife and I try to tell everyone to at least limit sugar, grains, & processed seed oils as much as you can. That will get you quite a bit of progress if you’re diligent about it

I’m not gonna lie though, I can be perfectly happy with a ribeye with butter and an egg yolk on top

HellcatActual

Choochin
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
all over
What did you switch back to? My wife and I try to tell everyone to at least limit sugar, grains, & processed seed oils as much as you can. That will get you quite a bit of progress if you’re diligent about it

I’m not gonna lie though, I can be perfectly happy with a ribeye with butter and an egg yolk on top
switched back to eating like shit and drinking my face off. its working well. /sarcasm.

Labanaktis

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2013
Michigan, Lower West side
Early on Keto I had an extreme amount of energy. It was 2.5-3 weeks on. Around 8pm I felt like I could do some reps and run 5 miles...that lasted about a week. Since then Keto has been good to me. I am loosing weight, feel great and I’m not getting any hunger pains. Dr. Ken Berry and Dr Eric Berg on YT was a great motivation. I like Keto because when I do workout you actually feel and see the gains. In another month I will do labs to see where I’m at. Eating mornings and evenings. I need to get back on intermittent fasting again.

So far so good...It just works for me...

Matt

Reactions: pmclaine and The D

The D

Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Early on Keto I had an extreme amount of energy. It was 2.5-3 weeks on. Around 8pm I felt like I could do some reps and run 5 miles...that lasted about a week. Since then Keto has been good to me. I am loosing weight, feel great and I’m not getting any hunger pains. Dr. Ken Berry and Dr Eric Berg on YT was a great motivation. I like Keto because when I do workout you actually feel and see the gains. In another month I will do labs to see where I’m at. Eating mornings and evenings. I need to get back on intermittent fasting again.

So far so good...It just works for me...

Matt
Did you get bloodwork done before you started to compare of are you just looking for good numbers? And, almost more importantly, is your dr sympathetic to lchf diets and know what they are looking at?