• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

BHTC 2 Day Precision AAR - Apr. 14-15

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Getting an AAR thread started from our two day course on April 15-16.

Group photo:
BHTC2DAYPREC0411.jpg

Day 1 actually started way before students reported to the class, with guided online assignments designed to get them familiar with long range rifle trajectory.
A large part of the class gathered for chow & beverages Thursday night at Cowboy Jack's. It was good to share some camaraderie between staff & shooters, and quite a few hiliarious stories went across the table.

With classroom instruction commencing on day 1, everyone was ready to go. The morning saw formal instruction on exterior ballistics, trajectory, properly adjusting and working with optics, a look at range estimation, elements of good firing position, recording data in their books, and a BRM review. The range was prepared the day before, with a literal Disneyland of steel silhouette targets and other treats ranging out past 1000Y. Most targets were white, but a select few were camo, and tucked into corners making them not easy to find.

Once out to the range, shooters decorated some paper at 100 and 300 Yards, with instructors and line coaches assisting with calls on elevation and windage adjustments to get everyone dialed in with a good zero.

We ran hard and far on day 1 because of impending weather on day 2. It culminated with most students having good elevation data out to at least 750Y, and a new appreciation for the extent of the effects of wind where long range shooting is concerned. Some paper drills were DX'ed in favor of more trigger time and on-range instruction.

Students were broken up into groups to conduct different drills under staff supervision. Long range shooting with Mike, A three target 'stay on the gun' 740Y drill and a defilade target at 725Y with Freddy & Mike R, and reticle holdover work out to 500Y with Chris.

Students were dismissed for dinner, minus any alcohol, and to report back at 2030 for long range night fire. This is not ordinarily part of our basic/intermediate course but the group performed extremely well, and we had the opportunity to do it.

An exercise was created where students engaged targets at 330Y, 420Y, and 511Y with three rounds at each target, which was illuminated with a laser designator attached to a vortex recon 10x with tripod mounting system and accessory rail. Most students were able to hit all three, with some cleaning them up 100%. The instructors and line coaches sent a few after the students were done at 900 and 1006Y. The laser genetics NDS-50 designator worked fantastically even past 1000Y. Breaking night fire down the next day, students had a new appreciation for how difficult it can be. A nice fine reticle is great in the daylight, but at night.... completely different story. Illuminated reticles - helpful on a backlit target for sure, but when it's far too bright it does more harm than good. Just a primer. We would dig into this a lot deeper in an advanced class.

Day 2 saw students firing and recording a cold bore at their choice of target they had confidence they could hit, finishing up their elevation settings all the way to 1000Y, and conducting other drills. Since it was raining, there was a free wind indicator out there at all distances. Some figured that out on their own, but you could see the 'a-ha!' light bulb go on for most when this was pointed out. All of a sudden the hit rate went waaaay up...

Range from shooter PoV. 15 steel sil. targets 24x16, 24x12, and 30x16.5 plus others:
HPIM0639.JPG

Shooters getting ready:
HPIM0635.JPG

A line coach working with shooters. Wherever possible we try to teach "from the gun" right alongside the student. Instructors and line coaches also shoot drills to demonstrate:

HPIM0636.JPG

Instructor experimenting with an improvised position:
HPIM0622.JPG

BHTC is thankful for the support of:

Our students. We hope you learned a lot and enjoyed yourself in the process. BIG thanks to those who took some pics for us.

NOMAD at Impact Data Books for supplying the students with a quality product tuned specifically to our curriculum.

Jake and Ed at http://OnTargetGunShopOnline.com for helping out with the coaching, and also for providing some demo rifles for the students to enjoy.

More pics coming, and I should have them before the weekend. If you attended, please feel free to post some of your impressions or add more pics.

--Fargo007

Re: BHTC 2 Day Precision AAR - Apr. 14-15

Glad we can help out guys!! We have heard great reviews of the course as well as you guys run a tight ship.

That range provided a great place for a match as well as many many shooting options!!

Congrats to BHT for running a great program.

Looking forward to coming up for the next match!

i had a great time at the class even though i could only stay for the first day. Freddy and Mike and all the line coaches did a great job explaining every exercise and were able to accommodate shooters of all skill levels from beginner to the more experienced. i would recommended Black Hat to anyone looking for some quality training. i will be attending another course and ill probably be bringing a few friends along also..

thanks Jonathan

Great course Freddy and Mike. With all of the instructors and cadre around everyone got personal attention whenever we needed/wanted it. The class time was very clearly layed out and effective (no wasted time) and there was always something organized to do next on the range. Mike helped fit me to my new Mcree stock and I can't think him enough for that. They are as hand's on as you need them to be.

Everyone in the class took things seriously, but had a blast too. I highly recommend the pre-course dinner, it brought us all together and we left any uncertainties at the door. What a great group. The club was great and the hospitality was ever present. I only wish I lived closer to Mifflin (I'd be there all the time).

I'm looking forward to trying long distance again soon.

King, where in CT are you?

Got 400 yards about 45 minutes up 95 in Ledyard if you were ever interested.

I have more pictures ready.

Many thanks to Mike Bement for these fantastic quality photos.

http://www.bhtcorps.com/BHTC0411/index.html

Upcoming BHTC stuff for the summer & fall in Lewistown PA:

Registration will be opening soon for the June 25th match as sponsors get finalized. It's an individual effort match this time. Not a team match.

August 5-6, 2 Day Advanced Precision Course.

September 24th - Match. Format TBD.

October 14-15 - 2 Day DMR/SDM long range AR-15 course.

We could do a 2 day match if you guys wanted but it would have to be a Fri-Sat. match.

--Fargo007

Count me in for the June match. Have that weekend off and already have it on the schedule. Will bewatching for registration.

Rob,

Definately will have to get together. My uncle's in the area too and took the same course. I'll be in touch. Thanks.

The course was not only very instructive, it was also a lot of fun. If anyone is thinking about doing a course like this with BHTC, just do it. You will be glad you did.

Originally, I signed up for the course so I could go spend some time with my son. We had a great time together, but the course turned out to be superb.

It was my first course and I think my knowledge and ability were significantly improved by the course content, range time, and one-on-one time with the instructors and line coaches.

Along with shooting at long distances, I was able to do some photography. Being able to shoot and take pictures...well, it doesn't get much better than that for me.

The cost was very reasonable and the facility was great. I ended up joining the club, and I hope to return frequently.

If anyone from the course is going back out and would like some company, drop me a line. I'd love to go practice. We are limited to 100 yds. here in Bucks County.

Thanks to Fred and Mike for an excellent course.

halfclue (aka Mike)

im in for the june match with a couple of buddys as well...Rob if your going we all better get to the range and practice...cant wait its gunna be a great match...

jonathan

Prior to this class, I had no formal precision rifle training whatsoever. After the second day, I was making hits at 1000 yards in the rain with a full value crosswind. Money well spent in my opinion.

Here's some pics that I took or had taken.
SDC11017.jpg

SDC11007.jpg

SDC11019.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys!

If anyone's thinking they missed it,we are running the same course again in November.

It's good to see those who attended getting excited about going back out there and shooting long range again. It's a perishable skill, and you have to maintain what you have in order to build what you want on top of it.

I will add that if you want to shoot at MCSA you can buy a membership on the spot for $50 (calendar year) at the Dan Pierce Outdoor Shop which is in town just over the hill.

I buy one there every year myself ;-)

--Fargo007

This was an excellent course. I'm hoping to attend the future advanced precision and DMR courses.