• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bhtc sniper challenge 5/3/14, lewistown pa

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Registration is open for our first match of the year!

Know how to tie a swiss seat. You may bring your own rope or use one of ours.

Competitions | BLACK HAT TRAINING CORPS

A couple other announcements...

1 - We have started a contact list. If you want to get a brief email from us when we open up a course or match for registration, you can provide your email address there.

2 - Due to popular demand and the sell out of our April course, we are going to be running another Initial/Intermediate Precision rifle course in June. The advanced course will be postponed.

--Fargo007

Like usual bring about 85 rounds and you will probably take a few home.

See you guys on Saturday!

We've got some new targets to play with.......

And WE'VE GOT TEE SHIRTS!!!!!

I think you are going to like the design. Bring a few extra bucks if you want one.

--Fargo007

Last edited:
Indeed the LWCB and his two swingin' brothers appeared, and the shooters did put a hurting on them.

Congrats to Josh K (bohem) on the win. And also thanks for supporting the prize table with gift certs for products and custom work from Patriot Valley Arms.

Scores:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MTBfRzhsV3pSQ2c&single=true&gid=4&output=html

Shooters had a choice on the CBS: Long or Short for full or half points. They didn't know the target size or distance when they made the choice. Only that "Long" was over 600Y, and "short" was under 600Y. Long turned out to be about 725 and Short was about 440 (but small). Point values were cut in half on the short one. They had two minutes to estimate range and get the target hit with a descending score per round expended.

The Longball stage saw three targets at 1045, 1000, and 900. 10 shots to hit them all. Only Josh, Rob O and Steve B hit them all.

Buying time was a new creation. A semi Auto RPK was set up in a bunker facing a target 200Y away. There were three targets long at 740Y, 667Y, and 390Y. Hit all three from a tree stump then get on the RPK and hit the 200Y target within five rounds (you could easily see the target splashes). Get back on the long gun and re-engage those targets as many times as you could within the 2:30.

Monkey shines - 10 rounds from 5 different positions including the roof of the target shed.

"The Postman always rings twice." A twist on an old favorite of mine. 667Y target. You earned 25 points for each CONSECUTIVE hit. So your first hit on it was worth nothing. Each consecutive hit past that was 25 each with a 100 max. You only had to get four to max the stage. Josh owned this like crazy with seven consecutive hits.

Stand/Sit/Prone challenge. 100Y, small paper targs. We all know this one but it's never easy. Steve B always talks about position shooting and he backed it up on this one, easily maxing the stage out. The gray box in the middle was .6" and he hit it twice.

"Murderers Row" - 500Y plate rack with a 5" plate being the smallest. These are new targets for us and we hope you guys liked them.

Holdover - off a simulated roof crest. Small targets close, and a skinny and a fat man out past 450Y.

Barrcade - Our barricade from Evil One Construction is still the best one I ever shot off of. Five positions, two shots each.

Swiss Seat - Tie your own swiss seat and hook up to a line with a carabiner. Make a shot at 520Y with as few rounds as possible.

We had some new shooters join us for this one. Many firing their first match ever. It was good to meet you all and see you come out and give it a try. Now that you understand the flow of it and how things work, I promise your next one will be a lot better.

And to our old friends and regulars, thank you for coming back again!

Here's one that NOBODY got. Look at the target letters on the average shot distance chart of the score sheet........

--Fargo007

Thanks for putting it on Freddy. Had fun and really had to knock some rust off the machine after not shooting a sniper match in a couple years. Definite eye opener to the skills slipping LOL

Thanks to the BHTC crew: Enjoyed the match even though I was retarded-zombie tired from working 3rd shift.

I really liked the two holdover stages.. the rooftop and the buying time. The RPK is welcome back anytime. Especially now that I remember that the safety goes down to fire.

Willi - Just come and shoot. The practice is built right in, I promise.

Thanks guys, and we hope you all had a good time. Scores were tight at the top once again. I think we have a good scoring model.

--Fargo007

I will say there is really no way to practice for it. I had a great time even though I did horrible. I learned a whole lot of new positions to practice and how quickly the time goes. It was a great learning experience and especially watching the guys who have done this for a while now. It was a very well put on match.

I will say there is really no way to practice for it.

Sure there is. All the skills needed that day were stuff that can be practiced like positional sling shooting, shooting off barricades and props, shooting under time limits, and miling targets. Those are things people should be practicing if competing or just wanting to be a better shooter. Some things like the swiss seat stage are things that are thrown in at matches to get the shooters out of the comfort zone and get them thinking to solve the problem the best way they could.

Build small props yourself to shoot off of. Doesn't have to be a large thing like they had at the match. I have a small barricade that fits in my car I can bring to the range and shoot off of. The biggest thing about awkward shooting positions is to find the most stable position when doing it. It might not and most times will not be a perfect shooting position. That's why practice is needed to find good positions and see how you can shoot from them. Just get out there and shoot them. Best way.

Rob, congrats on your great performance, and Freddy thanks for putting on a great match. It was my first ever "sniper match", and a real eye opener. Although I did well in Freddy's P.R. class in the USMC qual, all of that was from the prone position w/ bipod. I have never shot anything but prone at distances over 500 yards before. So some real room for improvement!

Major lessons learned include the need to figure out how to make the rifle stable for unconventional positions so that the reticle isn't moving all over the place, and also how to load the rifle properly in those positions so I can see where the shot went! I had problems with both, and have my work cut out for the next match. I hope that Freddy teaches his advanced P.R. class this year too!

Sure there is. All the skills needed that day were stuff that can be practiced like positional sling shooting, shooting off barricades and props, shooting under time limits, and miling targets. Those are things people should be practicing if competing or just wanting to be a better shooter. Some things like the swiss seat stage are things that are thrown in at matches to get the shooters out of the comfort zone and get them thinking to solve the problem the best way they could.

Build small props yourself to shoot off of. Doesn't have to be a large thing like they had at the match. I have a small barricade that fits in my car I can bring to the range and shoot off of. The biggest thing about awkward shooting positions is to find the most stable position when doing it. It might not and most times will not be a perfect shooting position. That's why practice is needed to find good positions and see how you can shoot from them. Just get out there and shoot them. Best way.

I agree. Practice should be about working on the things you are not good at.