• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BHTC Sniper Challenge Sept 24 2011 Lewistown PA

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
BLACK HAT TRAINING CORPS SNIPER CHALLENGE

DATE: SATURDAY 09/24/2011 / 8:00am-4pm or so.

Prizes generously provided by:

Reloading & Ammunition products:

Hornady

Sierra Bullets

Premium Optics/Accessories:

American Rifle Company

Vortex Optics

Cameraland NY

EuroOptic

Sound Suppressors

Wells Custom Guns

Accessories/Gear

Impact ™ Data Books

U.S. Tactical Supply

TNVC

Expert Gunsmithing/Parts

On Target Gunsmithing/Custom Rifles

Arizona Precision Gunsmithing

Manners Stocks

Short Action Customs

Underground Skunkworks

LA Precision Rifles

Benchmark Barrels

<span style="font-weight: bold">INFO AND REGISTRATION:</span> http://bhtcorps.com/Sept24Match.html

PRE-REGISTRATION AND PRE-PAYMENT: REQUIRED. An online form follows at the bottom of the registration page. If you are shooting in a reserved spot granted by us to a donating sponsor, please let us know via email at [email protected].

LATE CANCELS / NO SHOWS: No refunds will be provided for any withdrawals or cancellations within ten days of the match. Any withdrawals prior to that are 100% refundable. If the match has to be postponed for any reason everyone will of course get a full refund.

FACILITY: Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association 400 Ellen Chapel Lane, Lewistown, PA 17044 - An absolutely great range with targets positioned up a gently sloping hillside. Hotel lodging is available 2.2 miles from the club.

Bunking in the clubhouse will be available for $10.00 per night.

DISTANCES: <= 1025Y

ANGLES: YES, AT LONGER DISTANCES, APPROX 15°

TARGETS: Steel, paper, "other"

ROUND COUNT: Not finalized at this time. Start loading now. The better you are at long range shooting the less you will need. For those people that just can't live without a number, bring 100 and you will take some home.

LASER PERMITTED? No.

MATCH OVERVIEW:

Welcome to the BHTC SNIPER CHALLENGE.
Shooters will be presented with a number of shooting challenges to include frustration, distraction, movement, and concentration. Targets will include steel, paper, or other materials. The last match we proceeded with almost no information about the target sizes, and we admit that was tough. This match, lasers will be permitted in some situations but not in others.

You may, or may not have a perfect, unobstructed view of every target. You may or may not be provided any clue at all as to the location or number of targets on the range. If you wish to change firing positions, you may ask. If you begin engaging the target without asking to change position, you will finish from that position. Anyone shooting the match with who has access to the prize table will not know the CoF prior to match day. Freddy & Mike are the only two people who know the CoF. They will be shooting the match as a house team for score, but will not be eligible for prizes.

CONDUCT / METHOD:

Shooters will be divided into three squads, each with a BHTC cadre member leading the squad and overseeing scoring. There are three firing locations each with 3-4 stages to complete, with targets dedicated to each stage. When squads are finished with all stages in a firing area, they rotate.

SCORING:

Scoring is conducted on a rising point scale with each stage consisting of a 100 point max. A bonus for completing it with as few rounds as possible is offered.

For example: completion points + unfired-round-bonus = 100.

Some stages with target choice regard longer distance shots as worth more points, so to attempt a shorter shot means that you cannot earn the max even if executed perfectly. There will be random targets of opportunity offered.

Scoring will be totaled via spreadsheet, and every competitor will have the opportunity to check their own scoresheets against the sheet, as well as that of every competitor finishing above them. Once no objections are raised, the scores will be declared final.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT: You must register Online. Gear - A SCOPE WITH A RETICLE THAT CAN RELIABLY MEASURE IN UNITS OF MILRADIAN OR MOA. You will not be able to complete all the stages without this feature. Ammo, mat, spotting scope, binos.

REQUIRED SKILLS: This match is a more forgiving one for beginners than the last one, although the shooting difficulty is still just as high. Cutting your teeth on some local matches first is HIGHLY recommended, but you will still have fun at this one if you are a little green. You will be expected to make a range card and depict targets. You should have experience shooting stationary targets at long range, and have a working knowledge of reticle based range estimation. Some running and across the course hiking will be required.

WHAT KIND OF RIFLES ARE APPROPRIATE? 300Win Mag is the maximum caliber for this match. Max velocity 3100fps on any caliber. You should have a tactical style bolt action or semi-auto rifle and ammunition capable of 1MOA accuracy, and an appropriate ammunition selection for engaging targets out to 1000Y.

PRIZES:

1st, 2nd, 3rd place shooters will be decorated. Prize table will be by random draw, unless a sponsor has requested a specific method to conduct the award.

ACCESS TO RANGE PRIOR TO MATCH DAY:

Shooters may zero on Friday prior to the match by shooting at (your) paper targets at 100 and 200Y until 4:00pm. No other shooting by anyone competing in the match will be permitted at any distance, and spotting scopes, binos, and lasers may not be visible. After 4:00pm anyone competing in the match must vacate the range area. DO NOT APPROACH THE RANGE AREA after 4:00pm. If you appear on the range after this time you will have an opportunity to see target locations and other details. You will still be able to shoot the match, but points-wise we will have no choice but to disqualify you. Don't spoil it for yourself. If you are camping, you must choose a different area of the property to set up in.

LODGING NEARBY:
1 - Super 8 Burnham/Lewistown (cheaper) 12886 Ferguson Valley Rd Burnham, PA 17009-1839 US 717-242-8888

2 - Quality INN (nicer) 13015 Ferguson Valley Rd, Lewistown, PA (717) 248-4961
I have stayed in the QI, and it was clean and nice with ground floor rooms available.
MATCH FEE: $75.00 per shooter

Details: The facility is excellent, and has a covered firing line. The club guys could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. The club usually has burgers/dogs and beverages available too. Please note that most of the shooting will be prone, and that approximately a 15° up angle is required past 800Y. Some with medical conditions may find this uncomfortable, so take it into account now.

Some targets may be partially obscured, partially visible in a defilade, or hidden behind no-shoots.

Most of the firing line is well covered, so we will be shooting rain or shine.

Once you register we will email you payment and reporting instructions, and let you know when your fee has been received.

Re: BHTC Sniper Challenge Sept 24 2011 Lewistown PA

Registered. Had a great time at the last one. I have no doubt this one will be just as challenging.

Registered as well! The last one was too much fun to miss out on this one.

The gas gun is staying at home for this one. Thanks to a couple "Mad Scientists" who helped me with a killer load for the 270WSM thats under the 3100fps velocity rule......
wink.gif

Hugo

Match is half full guys.

It's better to get in now and beg off later than to wait until it's too late.

We have new multi-target, multi-distance stages coming up that are based on realistic and plausible scenarios.

More movement, more problem solving, more targets, more fun.

--Fargo007

Freddy-
I'm signed up for this one.
I was wondering if you guys had done any more on the sniper infil/TD match that you discussed in the UKD thread?
thanks-

Yup - you are on the list.

...We are still working on that.

That is going to be a two day match, Saturday/Sunday. Probably in 2012 or maybe late 2011.

Saturday will be a full day similar to the last match. Scored long range night fire on Saturday night, and the TD/infil exercises on Sunday morning with the final few shots from those positions starting at 1pm.

--Fargo007

Just registered. Not 100% sure yet if I can make it but didn't want to miss the chance.

It looks like we are sold out! Thank you for the great response.

I am leaving the page up to collect alternate shooters.

Confirmation emails to all that made it are going out today.

--Fargo007

Ahhhh!!! Missed it. How many shooters do you allow in the match. It filled up quick.

Another sponsor is on board as well.

LR-Accuracy has graciously put a certificate for a free bipod on the prize table. Thank you, Dave!

Freddy took the 300WM out the other day. If I can get a load worked up before the match you might not be the only 300WM on the line.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freddy took the 300WM out the other day. If I can get a load worked up before the match you might not be the only 300WM on the line.
wink.gif
</div></div>

OK so this is what the top-guns are switching too. Just curious, what's the barrel life on a 300WM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freddy took the 300WM out the other day. If I can get a load worked up before the match you might not be the only 300WM on the line.
wink.gif
</div></div>

OK so this what the top-guns are switching too. Just curious, what's the barrel life on a 300WM? </div></div>

I have got a buddy that has over 5000 thru his, and its still 0.5minute. He has shot it in tough match conditions too... ASC, Mayberry, etc.

Hey James!

That sounds pretty impressive I had just heard barrel life was short but if that's the case I might have to consider it for my bolt build.

No switching. I have had a 300WM for years. Was all I shot at ASC. Just finally getting a load worked up for this new one and would like to see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No switching. I have had a 300WM for years. Was all I shot at ASC. Just finally getting a load worked up for this new one and would like to see how it does. </div></div>

What sort of barrel life do you get?

I had about 2500 when I rebarreled my first one. I run them hot and fast though. I wouldn't worry about barrel life if you are getting into a magnum. Shoot them and rebarrel when needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had about 2500 when I rebarreled my first one. I run them hot and fast though. I wouldn't worry about barrel life if you are getting into a magnum. Shoot them and rebarrel when needed. </div></div>

Thanks Rob,

Without wanting to take this thread too far off topic, do you have any view on the 7mm Rem Mag as an alternative to the 300 win? The BCs are higher on the 7mm and down range it looks a little more effective. Just curious. Thanks.

7mm is a good cartridge also for the high BC bullets but the .648 BC of the 208 AMAX is no slouch. Also the 300WM is plenty effective down range. It hits pretty hard.

Rob's point on how hard they hit is well made and I thought that I was going to have the cat's meow with 180gr 7's coming from some flavor of a WSM case.

It has all sorts of performance to spare at 1000yd, including less drop and drift than the 300 WM and 208 Amax combo.

I don't shoot it much because I find it to be overkill for the vast majority of my shooting.

I still really enjoy shooting the rifle and I'm sure Rob enjoys his 300 WM as well, this isn't meant as a pissing contest between a 7 or a 30 magnum. I simply put it out there to remind those considering the 300 WM that it's a lot of performance often much more than necessary for this game and running a pile of ammo through the 300 WM can get spendy fast.

If you picked anything from 284 Win, 280 Rem, 7 WSM, 7 RM, 7 SAUM or 30-06, 300 WM, 30-7RM, 30 Lapua Mag, 300 WSM, 300 SAUM... literally, pick any 1 of those rounds and stuff modern, high BC match bullets into them you have a rifle easily capable of reaching to 1350-1500yd and beyond.

I thought about building a 300 WM and running a switch barrel on my 7/300 WSM with it but I think if I'm going to go with a big 30 cal I'll probably do the 30-375 Ruger. Hornady's making good brass for it now and with the amount that the rifle would be shot anyway the barrel life is a non-issue to me.

I over looked the 6.5 CM for a while and then spent some time talking to Rob and Tony about it last fall, some time talking to Mark Gordon and Mike Bush about it this spring and finally jumped in. I'm quite glad that I did, it makes a great round and it performed extremely well in the June BHTC match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had about 2500 when I rebarreled my first one. I run them hot and fast though. I wouldn't worry about barrel life if you are getting into a magnum. Shoot them and rebarrel when needed. </div></div>

Thanks Rob,

Without wanting to take this thread too far off topic, do you have any view on the 7mm Rem Mag as an alternative to the 300 win? The BCs are higher on the 7mm and down range it looks a little more effective. Just curious. Thanks. </div></div>

If you're looking at a caliber for competition purposes, check out the 243. Same ballistics as the 300 win mag but a lot easier on the shoulder and wallet. I wondered why that puny cartridge was so popular for tactical match shooting until I shot Mike's. Then I was a believer. It recoils like a bb gun and also has that "time and time again" 1000Y hit performance that we want.

I like 300 WM because it's both got the ballistics, and enough energy downrange to make anything in North America DRT at 1500Y. Also a very wide selection of excellent bullets in .30 cal.

243 is good for paper, but if you shot someone with one at 1500Y (and the person found out about it) they'd probably be really mad at you.

And the platform of the 300 Win is the same size and weight profile as most other tactical rifles. e.g. It isn't blown out - huge 'n heavy like .338. I don't have any direct experience with 7mm's, but I have seen them shoot well.

--Fargo007

Well,if it's all filled up already, no big deal.
frown.gif

I have a previous engagement but would really have liked to ditch that and shot this match. Have a good one Freddy, Mike.
smile.gif

Steve L.

Are we going to be having the club letting us stay over, and feeding us again? That was the best $20 or $30 I ever spent.....
wink.gif

Any word on T-Shirts? I had seen the button down that you were rocking a Reade.....
wink.gif

I know its booked, if there is any cancellations please contact me ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Karma08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its booked, if there is any cancellations please contact me ASAP. </div></div>

Use the sign-up sheet and get on the waiting list. A couple of guys local to me have done that and gotten into the match recently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Karma08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its booked, if there is any cancellations please contact me ASAP. </div></div>

Use the sign-up sheet and get on the waiting list. A couple of guys local to me have done that and gotten into the match recently. </div></div>

Thanks, doing it now

Bad Karma08 - what part of NY are you from? There are a few of us, from various parts, that made the last match and I'm guessing some of them will be at this one too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad Karma08 - what part of NY are you from? There are a few of us, from various parts, that made the last match and I'm guessing some of them will be at this one too. </div></div>

Long Island, hope to make it and meet some of the ny guys. I mailed out payment today for the october 22/23 match in allesmen pa, will you be going to that one? (its a few threads down from this, the one at reade range)

and not sure if I was supposed to, but I didnt get an email back after doing the registration on the bhtc page

There are a few other Long Island guys that were at the last match. I won't be making the Reade match.

Also, watch for postings for Gap/New Holland matches run by fargo007 also.

I don't think you get an automated email response when you register, but I don't remember. I think they get sent out in batches every few days.

Hi,

The match is full and you are not in it as of now. I just back-filled two cancellation spots with people on the waiting list. There are two others on the list remaining in front of you, so we would need three cancels to get you in.

Sled is correct, there is no automatic email sent. I emailed the people who made it in with payment instructions already.

--Fargo007

thanks to both of you, and I'll keep my eyes open for the other matches.

I sent my payment off you should have it by now I hope unless the USPS lost it.

Have there been anymore cancellations by any chance?

Bad news.... I have to drop out. I was really looking forward to this match, but family business calls.... Fargo, I'll send you a PM....
frown.gif

Who likes to rappel? Who likes to shot? Who likes to shot while rappelling?
Check email for details.

Swiss seat pulled out and packed.

I hate to say it because I hate to see or benefit from other people's misfortune, but 1 more cancellation and I believe I'm in the match!

That being said, best wishes to everyone cancelling that everything works out for the best on your end.