• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BHTC Sniper Challenge Sept 24 2011 Lewistown PA

Re: BHTC Sniper Challenge Sept 24 2011 Lewistown PA

You can always roll the dice and show up with $75 and your gear. There seems to always be one or two guys that don't show and if not you still get to hang out and watch and help Freddy and Mike if they need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always roll the dice and show up with $75 and your gear. There seems to always be one or two guys that don't show and if not you still get to hang out and watch and help Freddy and Mike if they need it. </div></div>

Think I am going to do that. Its only 6-7 hrs 1 way from my house, and worse case if I dont shoot I'll get a chance to put faces to usernames, check out the match, and lend a hand if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Karma08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Think I am going to do that. Its only 6-7 hrs 1 way from my house, and worse case if I dont shoot I'll get a chance to put faces to usernames, check out the match, and lend a hand if needed. </div></div>

bring a belay plate and at the very least you can hold up 30+ precision shooters on a rappel line!

Freddy-
Are you guys doing COWBOY JACKS on Friday night? If so, what time?

One handed munter hitch anyone?

LOL - Just kidding....

Yup, we're doing Cowboy Jacks on Friday evening, should be around 7 or 7:30pm.

BK - That's a good idea. Go ahead and show up anyhow. If you wind up not shooting this time and helping us out I will guarantee you a spot in the next one so long as you accept or decline within a reasonable amount of lead time.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One handed munter hitch anyone?

LOL - Just kidding....

Yup, we're doing Cowboy Jacks on Friday evening, should be around 7 or 7:30pm.

BK - That's a good idea. Go ahead and show up anyhow. If you wind up not shooting this time and helping us out I will guarantee you a spot in the next one so long as you accept or decline within a reasonable amount of lead time.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

I appreciate that! as of now, I am planning on just coming to lend a hand, but I'm sure the gear will get tossed in the back of the truck before I head out anyway. See you guys there.

If anyone from the site sees a tan gmc suburban with a full rear windshield decal on it and new york plates, feel free to come introduce yourself.

Looks like rain. Everyone make sure to wear your galoshes
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swiss seat pulled out and packed. </div></div>

I've been wearing mine around town just to ensure I'm ready for the big day.

Fargo,
For those of us traveling Sat. morning, what time does breakfast start and what time does the shooting start. Just trying to plan my departure time. Thanks.

Steve

Getting ready to leave now! Seriously looking forward to this.

If anyone has a set of sling swivels for flush cups, I'll buy them from you on the spot today or tomorrow at the match. Hope somebody has a set. Thanks.

Shit, forgot I didnt have a sling on this gun! Guess I'll take the turner off my ar15 for tomorrow.

Should be leaving at 7ish tonight to head to the hotel out there, see you guys in the morning.

Well even thothe scope i bought 2 days ago took a shit on me and i came in dead last with a miserable ZERO, I had a great time! Thanks to all involved, thanks to Team Blaster, Steve, Jim, Freddy for all the help advice and info, and anyone else who I forgot to introduce myself to as we talked. I learned alot today and feel i will be much more prepared for the october reade range match because of all the help. Thanks again everyone!

Just got home. Had an absolute blast! Thanks to Freddy, Mike, Mike, & Chris for putting on a great match. I cant wait to put that LA Precision gift certificate to good use.....

Another great match, thanks Freddy and crew. I don't know how long it's going to take my nuts to recover after the Swiss seat stage though!

Thank you Black Hat for a great match, great day, great food, and great accomodations. I lost my match virginity and swiss seat virginity all in the same day, can still walk just fine, and can't seem to wipe this perma-grin off my face. Hopefully the silver bullet and I can find a match like this on the left coast.

Fred, Mike another classic. Thanks for another great shoot. The targets and shooting positions were tough and challenging, particularly the squashed nuts event, I mean the swiss seat!
Please tell me that's not a one and done. I want revenge!!!
here's a few photos, hope the link works!
Kevin

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0773.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0750.jpg

DSCN0742.jpg

Link works, but you need to supply the password.

Scores are up!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?...amp;output=html

Let's thank the club, MCSA, and our sponsors first, for a really nice prize table that I know all of you appreciated very much. Bohem - please help me out here.

AZ Precision Rifles
Europtic
Long Range Accuracy
Impact Data Books
Hornady
Sierra
Berger Bullets
Benchmark Barrels
Short Action Customs
Manners Stocks
Vortex Optics
Wells Custom Gunmakers
LA Precision Rifles
Camera Land

Thanks to the shooters who came out to play. The weather turned out to be GREAT. We were prepared for the worst.

Congratulations to Tony on a fine victory! It's nice to see a sponsor come out and shoot, but it's really cool to see one actually win the match. No, he did not take one of the impact data books off the table when his number was called. LOL

As far as the CoF goes, I intended to raise the difficulty level, and it seems I succeeded in doing so.

Some highlights for those that couldn't make it. I shot most but not all of these myself to see how they felt and shook out.

The CBS was a 3 target rapid bolt on a mortar team and spotter which were hidden in brush at about 745Y. First shot was on a 10wx24h skinny, and if a 1st round hit, the stage was full score. If the CBS missed, you went down to half points.

5 rounds at the paintball - only this time it was at <span style="font-weight: bold">200Y. </span>

The holdover stage was much harder this time and only five shooters completed it. One of the targets was nearly invisible.... tucked deeply into the woods/brush.

Stress Fire - Run back, do a pushup, roll over on the ground, grab a round, go back to the gun and fire. Only a couple guys got four out of ten hits, and most didn't even get 4 rounds off in :90.

The long range stages were a lot of fun. Monkey Time had the shooters working off a dog house built by Evil One Construction (Miker, the match director from the Reade Range Sniper Challenge), a steep hill, and shooting NRA prone.

A sniper team was spotted in the treeline at 845Y, and had to be reduced.

A new mortar team surfaced at 1006Y, since they found the baseplate from the previous team. The baseplate had to be hit first, then the team reduced.

Abseil had the competitors tying a swiss seat and shooting at a 505Y target while hanging in it. I think this was a crowd favorite. I tried it myself and I did not hit the target so I give props to all that did. Thanks to James Bailey formerly of 10th Mtn Div. For checking people's swiss seat rigs out, and for assisting me after his trigger decided to go apoplectic.

The barricade (also by E1C) was great. Great job Ed J, a new match shooter who was the only one who cleaned it.

Now onto the hellbender stage. Named after the inventor here on the hide, it was as Tony put it: <span style="font-weight: bold">"Some crazy-fucked up box drill that the match director came up with that had all kinds of math and conversions and shit in it that made our heads hurt." </span>

I couldn't have said it better. Shooters had to convert measuring units, and deliver shots in precise locations by scope knob reference alone. Measurements were given in inches, feet, Cm, and mm, and were either built off each other consecutively, or off the first target which was a 1" circle. The scoring areas were 3/4".

If you didn't do as well as you hoped, remember that BHTC is a training company! We had 6 shooters scoring in the top ten this time, and I humbly submit that's no accident.

Post your pics guys!

We will have a survey going out soon to the competitors to help us improve the product. I still have a boatload of steel to load back into the shed.

I am going to start working on a more advanced two day match that will have all the silliness you have come to expect on day 1, plus night fire stages, and a fieldcraft day on day 2.

Contemplated:

Competitors doing TD on BHTC staff hiding up on the mountain..

Shooting from a hide that they construct...

Conducting a stalk under observation...

--Fargo007

congrats tony..as always a great match by bhtc...thanks to all the sponsors and black hat..

jonathan

Congrats to my team mate Tony for the win. Good job Tony.

Thanks Freddy Mike and Crew for the fun match. Appreciate all the hard work. Had a good time as always and the weather definitely worked out in our favor. Good to see old friends and make some new ones.

Thanks to all the sponsors. Having the prize table makes the end of the match a fun time as well.

Here's a few pics I got
IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

IMAG0425-1.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

And let's not forget Cecil's new friend.....
IMAG0427.jpg

Great event Freddy, Mike, Chris and Mike! Very well done, start to finish. Clearly some of the best tactical shooting in the country going on here.

Congratulations Tony, Rob, Mike and my buddy and shooting partner Matt! That was a very challenging CoF and your mastery of these stages says a lot.

Here are some more photos: Black Hat Sniper Challenge

Freddy, if you want a piece of steel brought up the mountain to the rock pile at 1760yds, I will do it if you give me a discount on one of your training sessions
grin.gif
Climb to Glory!

Freddy, Mike, and the rest of the gang - great match! It was fun, obviously challenging, and a fun day out.

I've got some work to do in the mean time, but I'll be back next year for more of these.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into preparing and running the match. I think we all appreciated it.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great event Freddy, Mike, Chris and Mike! Very well done, start to finish. Clearly some of the best tactical shooting in the country going on here.

Congratulations Tony, Rob, Mike and my buddy and shooting partner Matt! That was a very challenging CoF and your mastery of these stages says a lot.

Here are some more photos: Black Hat Sniper Challenge

Freddy, if you want a piece of steel brought up the mountain to the rock pile at 1760yds, I will do it if you give me a discount on one of your training sessions
grin.gif
Climb to Glory! </div></div>

Thanks for the pics! I really appreciated you helping out the way you did bro.

As for that target placement offer, I am open to it, but of course we will need to check with the club, and I definitely don't want you going out there alone. It's also possible we may be able to get one out around 1500 and knock a couple trees down to keep it visible if the rock pile doesn't work out. That would still be well more than 3/4 of a mile.

I will make the Hellbender target and instructions available for download sometime this week so you can torture your friends at the range. I didn't get to fire that one - still have to shoot it myself.
cool.gif

--Fargo007

I really wish I'd been able to make this one but unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way.

A sponsor I didn't see posted above is AZ Precision (Now Phoenix Custom Rifles).

Congrats Tony on the win!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wish I'd been able to make this one but unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way.

A sponsor I didn't see posted above is AZ Precision (Now Phoenix Custom Rifles).

Congrats Tony on the win!

</div></div>

You beat me to it, was just about to thank them actually, went home with a certificate from them that I will be using shortly.

As always Freddy, Mike and Crew a great time. Great stages great training great match. If you missed the match you missed out!!

Thanks to all the sponsors for the great stuff everyone got.

It always is a pleasure to hang out and meet new shooters as well as see the usual cast of characters. I look forward to cracking jokes and laughing with you all.

I know everyone learned alot about their gear and equipment and what drills that they need to work on.

Big thanks to my teammate Rob for always being a good wingman as well as a crack shot!! We spend alot of time talking and learning from each other.

I encourage you all to find a shooting buddy, go out and shoot with them, push each other and learn from each other.

In addition I highly recommend if you are in the PA area you go take the BHT courses taught by Freddy and Mike. The guys have there shit together and you not only will they teach you, but they will push you to another level.

If anyone needs anything please drop me a line and I look forward to our next trip to BHT!

Hey, to the guys shooting up the mountain at the ~1725yd rock slab--

were you guys putting the look angle into your dope? Reason I ask is because the basic math says it is important. Follow me with the math (I think its all approximately correct):

Slab is 964ft above the FP vertically and 5030ft away horizonally. According to my arctangent math, that is a look angle of 10.8*.

Cosine of 10.8* is 0.98.

Using improved rifleman's law (which might not be the best model but its quick), 0.98 of 68 minutes (rough dope for a 0.60 BC bullet doing 3000fps at muzzle in 1k' DA at 1725yds) is equal to 66.6 minutes, or 1.4 minutes difference between the flat dope and the improved rifleman's law dope.

1.4 minutes difference is equal to approximately 25". That is enough to have your bullet sailing over any target, unless its real big.

Just a thought for the future when you go out there again Freddy.

freddy, Mike et al,
looks like you had a great event. Sorry i missed it. Please advise when the next event is planned. I will see mike in WV next month.

Keep up the great competitions.

Mike

Thanks to Freddy, Mike and Chris for putting on a great event.

Thanks to the sponsors for a nice prize table.

It was a great event and I look forward to the next one.

Here are pics taken by various photographers with my camera:

www.photobucket.com/blackhat092411

Also, many of you may recall Jim (don't know his last name), took quite a few videos. These were posted on the MDshooters.com thread...

Cold Bore Shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzl4BjDym8

Ready for the Paintball Shoot - Davinci
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOS0QJrmsj8

MD Shooters Davinci Shoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTs5X75iO4

Suppressed Urban Shoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogOm4FzcCug

50 Cal 1 Mile Shooting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_dVKlWEJmk

50 Cal 1 Mile Shooting 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69JfnhXwEA

50 Cal 1000 Yd Ready
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8p38c4CnHg

50Cal 1000 Yd Hits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5qJ56BAYq0

Firing Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEFZ2SOh18

Freddy Monkey Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ZK4aMlsfI

Stress Shoot (so much glare here I couldn't even see the camera screen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4sdSyC13k

Pinching in the Swiss Seat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdGhsaIfi8M

Im just currious. How's the fellas with the SASS's fair. Were they under advantaged against the bolties?

It's always interesting to me to see the differences.

They were both 6.5 grendels.

Some stages they did very well on, but overall they wound up 13th and 25th.

Stages where repeated shots from the same position were taken gave them a clear advantage. Other shots like the 845Y sniper team and the 1006Y mortar team were wholly owned by the bolt guns.

nota bene: Both of them are excellent shooters and we have seen both of them in the top 5 before. One shoots that semi all the time and the other runs a bolt gun most of the time.

Based on my experience on both sides of the firing line, running matches and shooting them, I know these statements to be true regarding platform selection:

1 - It takes more experience and discipline to run a semi auto in a match like this.

2 - It takes more experience and discipline to run a big gun (fullsize magnum caliber) in a match like this.

--Fargo007

I'm a big advocate of the Grendel and its sister 6mm wildcats. I think out of a gas gun the Grendel offers what it takes to get the job done at longer ranges - but as Freddy says its a different discipline and maybe slightly more challenging than using a bolt gun. The finishing for me on Saturday was my worst ever. The gun is certainly capable of a lot more than what I delivered and I put that down to me in part not getting my ass onto one of Freddy's long range training courses. In previous matches I've hammered the IED stage at 750 yds and the 1000 yds steel. Just don't know what happened last weekend.

Onto Reade at the end of October to see how we do there. Freddy when's your next long range clinic?

Everybody has a bad day. A few matches ago at Reade I finished 16th, and I was the saddest little cowboy in the world. I couldn't believe I was missing easy 'gimme' shots.

After the match Vinny and Jake looked at my gun and found that the bedding had shattered to smithereens, and I had metal-to-metal contact between the action and the bottom metal. It was a 2.5MOA rifle at that point, and I was just throwing rocks.

Long story short, check that gun out. THOROUGHLY. Better still, have somebody else who is disinterested check it.

I think the course might be the same weekend as Reade.

In any event it is October 28/29 (Fri/Sat).

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everybody has a bad day. A few matches ago at Reade I finished 16th, and I was the saddest little cowboy in the world. I couldn't believe I was missing easy 'gimme' shots.

After the match Vinny and Jake looked at my gun and found that the bedding had shattered to smithereens, and I had metal-to-metal contact between the action and the bottom metal. It was a 2.5MOA rifle at that point, and I was just throwing rocks.

Long story short, check that gun out. THOROUGHLY. Better still, have somebody else who is disinterested check it.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

pretty sure reade is the 22/23, might have to try and get into your clinic as prep for reade and the future

looked fun, sorry i missed it, buddy that want said it was fun. glad you all had a great time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Karma08</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everybody has a bad day. A few matches ago at Reade I finished 16th, and I was the saddest little cowboy in the world. I couldn't believe I was missing easy 'gimme' shots.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

pretty sure reade is the 22/23, might have to try and get into your clinic as prep for reade and the future </div></div>

Come on in! The water is warm. We have about five spots left right now. I'm sure you will get a lot out of it. We had six prior students in the top ten.

Logistically it's run quite similar to how the match went. Bunk in the clubhouse, have breakfast and lunch both days. Night fire with the laser designator is a nice treat in there too.

--Fargo007

Im an ass! clinic is after reade so it wouldnt be prep for reade, but still interested in coming to it for the wealth of knowledge and great time.

Just not sure if the job will give me fri and sat off 2 weeks in a row unfortunately.... maybe I can hurt a finger or something for 1 of the weeks, being in a union does have its advantages LOL