• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BHTC UKD Challenge June 25, Lewistown PA

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
This is a pre-announcement.

Registration will officially open tonight, May 1st at 9:00pm. The page below will have the registration form added to it at 9:00pm.

Complete Information on the Match Information Page:

http://bhtcorps.com/June25Match.html

We are pleased to announce our second Black Hat Training Corps long range UKD Challenge.

The match is sponsored by:

Reloading & Ammunition products:
Hornady
Sierra Bullets

Premium Optics:
EuroOptic
Vortex Optics
Cameraland NY

Sound Suppressors
Wells Custom Guns

Accessories/Gear
U.S. Tactical Supply
Impact ™ Data Books
TNVC

Expert Gunsmithing/Parts
American Rifle Company
On Target Gunsmithing/Custom Rifles
Manners Stocks
Short Action Customs
Underground Skunkworks
LA Precision Rifles
Benchmark Barrels

Overview:

MATCH OVERVIEW:

Welcome to the BHTC UKD CHALLENGE.
Shooters will be presented with a number of shooting challenges to include frustration, distraction, movement, and concentration. Targets will include steel, paper, or other materials. You may or may not be furnished accurate dimensions on every target you will be expected to engage. You may, or may not have a perfect, unobstructed view of every target. You may or may not be provided any clue at all as to the location or number of targets on the range. If you wish to change firing positions, you may ask. If you begin engaging the target without asking to change position, you will finish from that position. Anyone shooting the match with who has access to the prize table will not know the CoF prior to match day.

Freddy & Mike are the only two people who know the CoF. They will be shooting the match as a house team for points, but will not be eligible for prizes.

CONDUCT / METHOD:

Shooters will be divided into three squads, each with a BHTC cadre member leading the squad and overseeing scoring. There are three firing locations each with 3-4 stages to complete, with targets dedicated to each stage. When squads are finished with all stages in a firing area, they rotate.

SCORING:

Scoring is conducted on a rising point scale with each stage consisting of a 100 point max. A bonus for completing it with as few rounds as possible is offered.

For example: completion points + unfired-round-bonus = 100.

Some stages with target choice regard longer distance shots as worth more points, so to attempt a shorter shot means that you cannot earn the max even if executed perfectly. There will be random targets of opportunity offered.

Scoring will be totaled via spreadsheet, and every competitor will have the opportunity to check their own scoresheets against the sheet, as well as that of every competitor finishing above them. Once no objections are raised, the scores will be declared final.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT: You must register Online. Gear - A SCOPE WITH A RETICLE THAT CAN RELIABLY MEASURE IN UNITS OF MILRADIAN OR MOA. You will not be able to complete all the stages without this feature. Ammo, mat, spotting scope, binos. also a good idea.

REQUIRED SKILLS: This match isn't a particularly forgiving one for beginners. Cutting your teeth on some local matches first is HIGHLY recommended. You will be expected to be able to make a range card and depict targets. You should have experience shooting stationary targets at long range, and have a working knowledge of reticle based range estimation. Some running and across the course hiking will be required.

WHAT KIND OF RIFLES ARE APPROPRIATE? 300Win Mag is the maximum caliber for this match. Max velocity 3100fps. You should have a tactical style bolt action or semi-auto rifle and ammunition capable of 1MOA accuracy, and an appropriate ammunition selection for engaging targets out to 1000Y.

PRIZES:

1st, 2nd, 3rd place shooters will be decorated. Prize table will be by random draw, unless a sponsor has requested a specific method to conduct the award.

ACCESS TO RANGE PRIOR TO MATCH DAY:

Shooters may zero on Friday prior to the match by shooting at (your) paper targets at 100 and 200Y until 4:00pm. No other shooting by anyone competing in the match will be permitted at any distance, and spotting scopes, binos, and lasers may not be visible. After 4:00pm anyone competing in the match must vacate the range area. DO NOT APPROACH THE RANGE AREA after 4:00pm. If you appear on the range after this time you will have an opportunity to see target locations and other details. You will still be able to shoot the match, but points-wise we will have no choice but to disqualify you. Don't spoil it for yourself. If you are camping, you must choose a different area of the property to set up in.

LODGING NEARBY:
1 - Super 8 Burnham/Lewistown (cheaper) 12886 Ferguson Valley Rd Burnham, PA 17009-1839 US 717-242-8888

2 - Quality INN (nicer) 13015 Ferguson Valley Rd, Lewistown, PA (717) 248-4961
I have stayed in the QI, and it was clean and nice with ground floor rooms available.
MATCH FEE: $75.00 per shooter

Details: The facility is excellent, and has a covered firing line. The club guys could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. The club usually has burgers/dogs and beverages available too. Please note that most of the shooting will be prone, and that approximately a 15° up angle is required past 800Y. Some with medical conditions may find this uncomfortable, so take it into account now.

Some targets may be partially obscured, partially visible in a defilade, or hidden behind no-shoots.

Most of the firing line is well covered, so we will be shooting rain or shine.

Once you register we will email you payment and reporting instructions, and let you know when your fee has been received.

Re: BHTC UKD Challenge June 25, Lewistown PA

Looking forward to it.

All registered.

Looking forward to another great match.

I plan on filling out my enty this week. See you all there

Thanks Freddy,

I hope to have my new AR10 running 100% for the match. I'll be bringing it to the class at the end of the month
wink.gif

Hugo

Sounds good Hugo. I've recently become quasi-addicted to shooting my DMR AR-15 against the precision guns in the NHRPC matches.

I like the idea of having to work harder because of the handicap.

We have some cool stuff on deck for the 25th. Some of it has absolutely never been done before. And some of it ...... well let's just say I cannot wait to see the look on your faces.

LOL

--Fargo007

Thanks-
Looks like a great event. Looking forward to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good Hugo. I've recently become quasi-addicted to shooting my DMR AR-15 against the precision guns in the NHRPC matches. </div></div>

It makes for a good time for sure.

I was reviewing the equipment list and noticed spotting scope on there. I don't own one but could borrow one if it is necessary. Is a spotting scope required or just recommmended?
thanks

If you have something really nice like a Kowa, Zeiss, Swaro or something like that that can be used to help run stages from a bench, please do bring it.

It's not something that is required on a per-shooter basis, but having some good uns there doesn't suck.

Thanks,

--Fargo007

Good to hear as I don't have a spotter either. I usually just use my 5-25x scope.

By the way the check went out today.

The one I could borrow is not a high-end model, but a low-end one that will not add much. I will leave it home.
thanks

Looking forward to this match. It is always good to challenge your skills.

Yes indeed, big challenge for me at least. I did look at the range and it looks like a great venue. 800 to 1200ft in 1000yds. Bring your cosine indicators for those long shoots!

There is some up angle from 800 to 1000, but not enough to send you over the target if you have a good zero and dope for 1K.

You guys are going to have a great time.

--Fargo007

Hey Freddy..... Do you have a round count for this match? Just wondering how much crap to bring with me.....

Hugo

The max is 75, but I would bring a few extras.

We haven't done a two day match there because there is no shooting on Sundays until 1pm. There is a nearby church.

Looking at it more creatively......

Let me know how you guys might respond to a Saturday / Sunday match that involved some non-shooting exercises on Sunday morning such as a TD exercise, fixed position concealment/fire drill, a brief stalk, and target engagement from the FFP you arrive at stalking. Match staff would observe and try to locate you. We would commence fire at 1pm sharp, and shoot until 1530-1600 or so.

Saturday would be a VERY full day of shooting with some possible low light and full darkness night fire as well.

Can bunk in the clubhouse for $10, breakfast and lunch would be available both days.

--Fargo007

That would be pretty cool Freddy. Do it later in the year so that it gets darker earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Let me know how you guys might respond to a Saturday / Sunday match that involved some non-shooting exercises on Sunday morning such as a TD exercise, fixed position concealment/fire drill, a brief stalk, and target engagement from the FFP you arrive at stalking. Match staff would observe and try to locate you. We would commence fire at 1pm sharp, and shoot until 1530-1600 or so.

Saturday would be a VERY full day of shooting with some possible low light and full darkness night fire as well.

</div></div>

Yes, I would also be interested in this as well, although I would request that you give us a good packing list of required supplies -- I don't own all the items that would probably be required and would appreciate some guidance in determining what would be required.

For the UKD match, I'm loading 100rds. I also plan on staying in the range barracks -- it has been a while since I stayed in barracks.

NP,

Sure - we will post what we believe is a required/recommended gear list.

Yes - definitely later in the year is best for this one. Vegetation will be down lower too making it more challenging and reducing the itchy. I can tell you right away I want everyone to have a gmrs radio, binos and a pistol as an absolute last resort in case an ETR is encountered.

http://www.oplin.org/snake/fact%20pages/rattlesnake_timber/rattlesnake_timber.html

We will have staff ready to deal with these even though later in the year the chances of seeing them are extremely low. I stepped out of the truck last summer up on the mountain and one was three feet from me. He let me know right away. Serious sphincter clampdown.

I'll hold the particulars I have in mind close to the vest, but initial thoughts are to do a TD exercise, and a fixed position/hide with a time limit to remain concealed. Those not discovered will have their muzzle position marked with a flag, and shoot from that position at 1pm if they successfully ID the object we hold up. We will organize the shooting order in a way that it is done range-safe.

Once observation time is up, then we start over and do a short stalk with a couple walkers. Live fire will be done the same way. Those that get caught will fire from the location we catch them at for half points. It goes without saying that these will be justifiably high value stages.

--Fargo007

What is TD?

Sounds like quite a challenge. I'd be willing to give it a try, with full expecations of being humbled.

I would be very interested but if this a possible plan I would want lots of notice to help prepair

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is TD?

Sounds like quite a challenge. I'd be willing to give it a try, with full expecations of being humbled. </div></div>

TD = Target detection. There will be a series of items out there that you have to locate and plot. It's a test of observation skills. Who knows.... maybe even some of the staff will be hanging out there.....

--Fargo007

Can you give me an address to the range that I can use with the GPS in my car?

Tanks,
Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you give me an address to the range that I can use with the GPS in my car?

Tanks,
Hugo </div></div>

Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association
400 Ellen Chapel Lane
Lewistown, PA 17044

Thanks
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you give me an address to the range that I can use with the GPS in my car?

Tanks,
Hugo </div></div>

Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association
400 Ellen Chapel Lane
Lewistown, PA 17044 </div></div>

What time does the range open next Friday? I'm just wondering if I can make it back home in time for dinner, or just stay overnight....

Thanks,
Hugo

You mean like for zeroing purposes? Maybe from noon to 4pm. After that we will begin setting up and competitors cannot be on the range until the match starts the following morning.

If you bring a cot/air mattress you can bunk in the clubhouse for ten bucks a night. The club cooks breakfast & lunch for us. It's awesome. Many who have taken our two day courses there have described it as being a long-range shooting vacation resort.

We're all going out to dinner again on Friday at Cowboy Jack's for good food and camaraderie. Everyone is invited.

--Fargo007

I was trying to figure out what time to show up to zero on Friday. Staying over sounds good. Looks like I'll just stay over night.

Thanks Again,
Hugo

Got it Freddy. Mike and I probably won't be in until around 7-8pm so we will miss dinner and zero but see you bright and early Saturday morning. What time you want us to be there Saturday morning?

Getting ready to head up to Mike's in the next hour or so to start our 6 hour ride down. Will text Freddy when we get close to see if you guys are still at dinner but from the looks of it we might miss it.

had a great time today...thanks to all the black hat staff for all there hard work to make this match happen and thanks to all the sponsors who put prizes on the prize table...looking forward to next time

Jonathan

Congrats to Jon (jroberts), who won the match!

Very nice work. I humbly point out that he trained with us at BHTC.
grin.gif

Scores are here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsh...amp;output=html

I know you guys saw some shit that was just NEVER done before. I saw some eyes roll when I described "Lord of the flies" but by the end of the day there were a dozen shooters stalking flies.

FYI - This stage was a post it note smeared with syrup. Flies that landed on it were targets of opportunity. If you hit one on your post-it, it was 50 points IF VERIFIABLE PARTS OF THE FLY REMAINED. I believe some others that didn't get scores actually did HIT a fly, but something had to remain to confirm it.

Overall, higher degree of difficulty than we have previously done. No lasers and no direct target sizes provided. I know that sucked, but last time everyone got full measurements. I wanted to see how the field would do in the worst possible circumstances (the least information). I'd say VERY well.

We were also greeted by a 400Y turkey who hung out for a while.

On behalf of Mike, Chris and I at BHTC, thank you for supporting the match. I hope you all had a great time and found it worth your trip. We worked very hard to get as much quality shooting in as possible with as few hiccups.

Thank you also to the club, and the sponsors, many frequenting the hide here. Your generosity was very much noticed and appreciated by the shooters.

I will get a more detailed breakdown up tomorrow. I tried to get the scores up before everyone got to bed.

Next match September 24th. Some of the old standbys you like are going AWAY. Some new meaty stages are coming....

--Fargo007

Thanks Feddy and team for putting on another great match. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Freddy and Mike for a fun day. It ran so smooth we could have probably thrown in another stage or two at each of the three groups. You guys are getting it down to a science now
wink.gif
Will have to check the schedule for the Sept 24 match. Congrats to Jon on the win also. Good shooting.

Thanks also to all the sponsors. It was a pretty good table. Thanks to Benchmark Barrels and Underground Skunk Works for the cert I got.

Thanks also to the club for doing all the cooking. Only had the lunch but it was very good and breakfast looked good as well.

Just curious but what milling/ballistics aps were people using at the match? I'm looking for some recommendations.

Thanks.