• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bi-Pod length

Munson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Cypress, TX
Im sure this topic has been beat to death on here, but my search fu is not working so well tonight. I am getting ready to order a Harris Bi-Pod and wondered what length you guys recommend. I dont plan on shooting from a bench much, mostly prone. Will the 6-9 be good or do I need to stretch it to the 9-13. Thanks in advance

Re: Bi-Pod length

others will chime in I am sure but from what I have read it seems 6-9 is preferred, when you get over 9 it adds some stability problems that you have to overcome.

I use 6-9 for the bench and 9-13 for field use. I like the extra height to clear any tall grass, weeds, rocks etc.

6-9. If I have to go higher I'll start fiddling around with the shooting sticks. Get the collapsible ones and you can get them from the Harris max all the way up to wherever you need them.

I have a 9-13. On the high end it's a little tougher to control the rifle, but I've run into situations where 9 inches wasn't high enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jake_c02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 6-9 for the bench and 9-13 for field use. I like the extra height to clear any tall grass, weeds, rocks etc.</div></div>

this

I have used 6-9, 9-13, 7-10.5, and 4-9 in different bipods over the years. All will work to support the rifle. I typically use them at around 8-10" when prone. I have needed longer but only from a seated position.

+1 for the 6 to 9. I tried the taller ones and had stability problems in prone. The higher the bipod the higher I had to get my torso off the ground. I was much more comfortable with the 6 to 9 and shot better.

6-9 is the way to go if you can only buy one. But hey, who said you could only buy one???

I run a Harris 6-9 during the non hunting months, the 6 is not too high for the bench, with a higher pod you find yourself trying to balance the rifle with bags and it just gets frustrating. The 9 is plenty for shooting prone at steel and targets. The 9 is not so high that you strain your neck and upper body getting to the scope, with a 13 you get get a few rounds off but after a while you will feel the burn.

For hunting , I have a versapod with a 7" and 9-"12 that I can swap out simply by the push of a button. 7" for sight in and last minute work ups, the other for field use. Pull it off and tuck the pod in my pocket, so its not snagging everything and tearing into my back.