• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bifocals - WTF

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I finally broke down and actually admitted I need bifocals about 6 months ago. I had a set made up with HD/Progressive lenses. They work great except I've noticed that I'm not seeing as well through scopes. I'm wondering if it isn't the nature of the progressive lens.

I KNOW there are folks out there who can give me some insight on this. Thank you.

I have progressive tri/bifocals and there isn't really an issue. I went out for the first time shooting with them and there was no difference than my last glasses as my distance vision didn't change. I look through my scope through my distance vision section of the lens and have my reticle set for that as well with the diopter. Just make sure you are looking through the distance upper portion and have your scope set correctly. Also make sure you have your cheekweld and body position set so it's not changing and changing how you are looking through the scope.

Thank you. I think the issue may be with the distance vision location. I find myself looking through the very top of the lens. I think on the next set I will ask them to put the close up stuff at the very bottom, and not do progressive.

Thank you. I think the issue may be with the distance vision location. I find myself looking through the very top of the lens. I think on the next set I will ask them to put the close up stuff at the very bottom, and not do progressive.

This is why I have two pairs. One for work with the close up further up the lens. When up close and personal with people at work I would have to lift my chin up so damn high it gave a great target. Null Bueno. So I had a pair made for that issue, then had a pair for shooting with it in the lower third of the lens. Made a big difference for me. I'll normally wear one of those nerd straps to keep my glasses from sliding down the bridge of my nose also. Whatever works right.

Progressive lenses usually have the distance prescription at the top half and the close/reading prescription at the lower half anyway so not sure why you're having problems unless you have a peculiar position when looking through the scope. I've been wearing progressive lenses for years and the only issue really is sometimes it can be difficult reading my turret indication when I bring my head off the scope to dial a change of elevation (because I'm looking through the distance part of the lens at something that's 6 inches from my face) but I usually just tilt my head and look over the top of the glasses to see turret readings. I have considered getting trifocals set up like pilots use, ie, the close prescription is in the very top edge and bottom part of the lens with the distance portion taking up the lions share in the middle. Seems like that might be the optimum lens set up, at least for us that are nearsighted. Wonder if anyone has tried this....?

Progressive lenses usually have the distance prescription at the top half and the close/reading prescription at the lower half anyway so not sure why you're having problems unless you have a peculiar position when looking through the scope. I've been wearing progressive lenses for years and the only issue really is sometimes it can be difficult reading my turret indication when I bring my head off the scope to dial a change of elevation (because I'm looking through the distance part of the lens at something that's 6 inches from my face) but I usually just tilt my head and look over the top of the glasses to see turret readings. I have considered getting trifocals set up like pilots use, ie, the close prescription is in the very top edge and bottom part of the lens with the distance portion taking up the lions share in the middle. Seems like that might be the optimum lens set up, at least for us that are nearsighted. Wonder if anyone has tried this....?

This is a helluva idea. I'm getting new glasses after this surgery thing I gotta do so I'm gonna ask if this is an option that's viable. Bonus that my Optometrist is a shooter and a hunter. Never even considered this.

I have been considering LASIK due to all of this hassle. I don't have bifocal glasses, but I do have diopter adjustment issues switching between glasses and contacts. It's a pain in the ass - to the point where I just wear glasses pretty much constantly, somewhat also due to allergies.

I have been considering LASIK due to all of this hassle. I don't have bifocal glasses, but I do have diopter adjustment issues switching between glasses and contacts. It's a pain in the ass - to the point where I just wear glasses pretty much constantly, somewhat also due to allergies.

Since the price of LASIK has come down so much I've been considering it myself. But then I think about "what if I'm that 1/1000" and something goes shitbag. Not willing to risk it, yet. But getting closer due to father time getting longer in the tooth.

Exactly my reservation as well! I'd be that one guy that gets the eye-popping malfunction while in the chair!

Exactly my reservation as well! I'd be that one guy that gets the eye-popping malfunction while in the chair!

and/or can't drive at night, and/or still need corrective lenses, and/or yada yada right? Ya, not yet, but getting closer to taking the gamble, and that's the way I see it. No pun intended. :cool:

btw, in the spirit of going somewhat off topic, I too am a long long time sufferer of allergies. Been doing the Flonase thing for bout 5 yrs now and it's made a HUGE difference. fyi

Take my advice fellers, if you can do lasik, get it done.
I would do it in a heart beat.
I went to the local eye doc for an examination.
Told me my diopter/prescription was to high for full correction.
I'm currently at R 9.50, L 9.00.
Right for distance left for close.
Pissing money away for contacts reading glasses and added problems with eye health.

R

This is a helluva idea. I'm getting new glasses after this surgery thing I gotta do so I'm gonna ask if this is an option that's viable. Bonus that my Optometrist is a shooter and a hunter. Never even considered this.

It's a very comman solution for pilots that need to read instrumentation/dials/readouts, etc above their head and lower down on the "dash panel" area but when just looking more or less forward that have regular distance for forward vision of runways, other planes, etc. I'm gonna give it a try on the next set of glasses. Hope it solves the problem! If you've ever noticed, aviator glasses have lenses that are larger than normal too, that may give a person more "real estate" in the lense to deal with the 3 locations of differing prescription.

Last edited:
It's a very comman solution for pilots that need to read instrumentation/dials/readouts, etc above their head and lower down on the "dash panel" area but when just looking more or less forward that have regular distance for forward vision of runways, other planes, etc. I'm gonna give it a try on the next set of glasses. Hope it solves the problem! If you've ever noticed, aviator glasses have lenses that are larger than normal too, that may give a person more "real estate" in the lense to deal with the 3 locations of differing prescription.

Copy that. I use to have larger framed glasses for that reason. Our insurance is shit now for vision, so much outta pocket expense, so I went for a while with more 'trendy' goggles. This is all good stuff to consider. Thank you and if I do the over/under thing I'll be posting up. Definitely going to look into it.

Interesting read fellas. Just for the reasons described above, several of the more recently designed biz jets have eliminated what we called the "overhead" panel. Manufacturers understanding that most of the flight crews in that class of aircraft aren't exactly kids anymore. Our Challenger 300 has everything on the instrument panel (dash) and center pedestal.

I was gonna make a post about this myself. I just started wearing reading glasses last summer. Recently I've found I can't read my scope dials without my glasses on.
I was thinking I had or should get prescription sports eyewear or goggles? (Ballistics rated, anti-fog etc)

Do you all just wear your normal everyday readers while shooting too?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I shoot with progressive trifocals too, like Rob. If you are not used to it, the first thing you need to remember is to adjust your scope's ocular diopter for use with the glasses. If you just pick up a scope that was set up for use without glasses and expect it to be clear while wearing glasses, you will be disappointed.

I actually drove off my driveway the first week i had tried progressives. i figured i look dumber doing crap like that than wearing my reg glasses low on the nose!

also tried bifocals with the line - just can't get used to either. doc said sometimes that happens - the individual can't get used to it. also have been noticing light sensitivity - headlights seem to be blinding anymore with their low beams on

i haven't had a problem with looking through the scope as much as the turrets and taped on dope.

it is frustrating while working on or cleaning my stuff

Lasik. Still need readers unless I write my dope large, and to dial some turrets. Hated the bifocals when doing this.

Indeed an interesting read. I use progressives, and no matter how I adjust the diopter on my scope, my reticle is blurry. With good cheek weld, and proper viewing through the top part of my lens, the stadia lines are still not clear. If I change over to plain safety glasses I can dial in a crisp and sharp reticle. So, therefore, I shoot without my prescription glasses which creates the problem of not being to read the numbers on my turrets, or my log book. However, I'd rather the former to be clear rather than the latter. Sometimes you have to settle for what works best for the situation at hand.

Thank y'all. All good stuff here. I'm taking this info in today to discuss with my optometrist. Broke my sun glasses over the weekend, and my RX expired on the 16th.

After doing a little research on my particular scope, I found in the specs that my diopter only adjusts from -1 to +1.5 which could explain why I cannot get a clear sharp reticle when wearing my progressive lenses as there just is not enough adjustment as there may be on others.