• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whitetailnut

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2007
SW,VA
I received this pic yesterday in an email. A local hunter shot a really big bear and couldn't find anywhere to weigh it. I don't know the guy so I didn't post it. Today another pic showed up on our local news website, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

What do the bear hunters around here believe it weighs?

102_0025-1.jpg

Re: Big bear

Man!!! That's one of the biggest Black's I've ever seen.....but I would guess him/or her at 500 to 575....

If he was going to have it processed...they would give him a good hanging weight minus the hide and head though....

We had one show up like this in our local newspaper over the weekend, as well. I can't find a link to it online. IIRC, it was 532 lbs.

Photos can be deceiving, but I'd easily put it at the 500 lb. mark.

That's a nice one!! I guess it's in the 400lb range. It's nice and big but if that's a six foot bucket on that tractor then he's probably 7 1/2' nose to tail. I got one about that size last fall and was able to wrestle it up out of the goo and into the boat by myself. If it had been 500+ lbs I doubt I could have pulled it off considering where it was. Mine measured just a touch over 90" nose to tail. It's shrunk now down to about 79" a year later. It pretty much stretches the full length of the back of the sofa it's draped over. That's just my .02. (of course, what the hell do I know)

That's a good bear though, should be really good eating. Nice and FAT!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a big f'n black bear! </div></div>

+1 on that!

I've got one on the wall that's 6'9" and that one looks bigger. I agree with the 500+ pounds estimate as mine was around 450. Damn big bear either way.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got one on the wall that's 6'9" and that one looks bigger. I agree with the 500+ pounds estimate as mine was around 450. Damn big bear either way.

1911fan </div></div>

mine was 6'4" and about the same weight. fish and game said he was 14 years old.

OP- that bear is definitely in the 550 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a big f'n black bear! </div></div>

AGREE!!! HOLY SH*T!!!! I shot one this year that was a BABY compared to that beast. I think that one took sh*ts the size of mine (152 lbs, in AZ that's a NICE size black bear).

Absolute giant! I've never seen a black bear even close to that size. What a monster!