• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Bore Bipods ~ LRA ~ RND ~

XLR

boss man
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I receive a lot of questions regarding bipods and what people should use for their large caliber rifles. These are the 2 designs that I consider to be top of the heap. I have yet to try anything that even comes close to these for the big bores. (I consider big bores to be 338 and larger.)

The comparison:
BBIPODS005_crop.jpg

The LR Accuracy SC-2 bipod:

bbipods057_crop.jpg

This bipod is rugged, surprisingly light weight, very user adjustable, and has a very tactic-cool look. Since this is for big bore rifles, the bipod pictured is the larger F-class bipod that LRA offers. Information for the smaller bipod will be different.

bbipods039_crop.jpg

Technical Specifications:

Cost: $450
Height adjustment: 7-10 inches
Stance collapsed: 12.5 inches Stance extended: 16 inches
Weight: 1 pound 15 ounces

This bipod has 4 leg angle positions and has 30 degrees of cant adjustment.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this bipod. It is very well thought out and functions perfectly. The new radius edge cant adjustment performs very well compared to the old style.

The RND 200:

bbipods045_crop.jpg

The first thing you notice about this bipod is its shear size. This thing is massive. The legs on this bipod could easily double as crane support arms. While I have not had much of a chance to put this bipod through its paces, I doubt I will make it fail. The leg adjustments are very positive both in extension and deployment. The cuff design offers buttery smooth 360 degree articulation (perfect for our chassis
grin.gif
) There is a small knob on the side that allows you to adjust the rotational tension of the collar to the phenolic sleeve.

bbipods022_crop.jpg

Technical Specifications:

Cost: $715
Height adjustment: 9.5-13.5 inches
Stance collapsed: 13.25 inches Stance extended: 17 inches
Weight: 3 pounds 5 ounces

This bipod has 7 leg angle positions and 360 degrees of rotation.

There are a couple of things with the RND pod that I was not that fond of. First, the rotation tension knob was a little small for me. You have to really crank down on it to get the proper tension on the sleeve. I was also not that fond of the feet on it. However, they can be changed out to a different style.

This bipod definitely has the look going for it. The bore axis rotation functions just like you would hope. It is solid and very well built.

Re: Big Bore Bipods ~ LRA ~ RND ~

very nice comparision.
It is however a RND 200 series bipod and NOT a 202
grin.gif

Thanks for posting the pics.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Woops! Thanks Master Diver, I got it changed. I just got 3 of the 202's in this week so my mind must have been on those.

Edit: also, thanks for getting the 200 in. That is what made me get one!

Great write up and agreed on all points. Are the LRA bipods available in numbers now? I've gone with the RND bipods on my rifles for a number of reasons - quick service from Lloyd is one of them.

Spoke with Dave yesterday, he'll have 40 or so ready to go in about a week, the parts pipeline is starting to flow.

right bipod for our THUNDER.....I hope to receive the order soon

I just received 13 of the bipods last week. All of them are gone now but I have more on the way. I hope to be able to stock some of these for you guys. David is speeding up production quite a bit.

Any more word on the availability of the bipods?

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received 13 of the bipods last week. All of them are gone now but I have more on the way. I hope to be able to stock some of these for you guys. David is speeding up production quite a bit. </div></div>

I saw a video of a model that appeared to have articulating wider feet. Does Dave currently have that model in production?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received 13 of the bipods last week. All of them are gone now but I have more on the way. I hope to be able to stock some of these for you guys. David is speeding up production quite a bit. </div></div>

I saw a video of a model that appeared to have articulating wider feet. Does Dave currently have that model in production? </div></div>

I shot off the wider feet that have an articulating ball joint. They're an add-on as I understand it and to make them fit on my bipod he pulled the rubber feet off and these clipped in with the same type ball detent system that a crutch would use for height adjustment.

They were great when shooting from loose stone/shale.

Thanks Bohem. I shoot in fine grain sand often, and the extra diameter of the articulating feet should prevent them from sinking.

I need one of those big bipods for my XLR
wink.gif

Dale Poling has a bipod out that is really nice Ive been using one for about a year on my bmg and its working great. He makes them to run on a tube for windrunners and would work on XLR's tube also. I've owned 2 rnd bipod's in the past and Dales is better bipod period.

Got a LRA bipod coming from Kyle and I'm pumped about it. Thanks kyle for the recommendation.